Intentionally Opening/Closing Sebenza to Smooth it Out?

I read an old thread where someone intentionally opened and closed their sebenza while watching TV for a few months to smooth her out. As long as you're not flicking it open, or using excess tension against the lock face to unlock it, will this result in premature wear on the knife?

I imagine each time you open and close, a few molecules of titanium are worn off the lock face and eventually, it will wear down and be loose.

I have one older Sebenza that's incredibly smooth and a bunch I haven't really used, nor did the previous owner, and they aren't bad, but just not butter smooth. I'm considering just opening and closing repeatedly, thousands of times, until they smooth out. Good idea or bad one?

Instead of thinking of it as work just remember knives are also good to fondle with like a spinner. ;)

Stiff or smooth at first, either way im opening and closing it all day all night. My first sebenza 21 was a small that was extremely stiff. I was so new to the sebenza thumb stud my thumb was doing really bad. I remember putting on gloves and repeatedly opening and closing thousands of times as you mentioned haha. Now that my hands are fully adjusted through all the CRK's I have its much easier to kind of let it do its own thing. Basically once you get the feel of a sebenza even stiff its not as much trouble. Long story short... its YOUR knife and its damn near invincible!!! So go for it my friend

Put the knife to work.
That's the best way to break it in and smooth it out.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the blade has to engage the lockbar.
When I have done this in the past, I have opened to almost open to almost closed. That was enough to significantly speed the break in.

I do this with my new knives to/from work, and like said above, open to almost-lock, and close... My commute is 30 to 40 min each direction (straight hwy). That's 5 to 6+ hours of pivot break-in per week, and keeps me entertained on the drive.

Just pay attention to the road!

When your driving make sure you keep your knife out of site or someone may report that you threatened them with a knife from your car. And yes the police may make a visit with you.

It's still fun.

Sharp knives and moving cars!!!!

When your driving make sure you keep your knife out of site or someone may report that you threatened them with a knife from your car. And yes the police may make a visit with you.

It's still fun.

Sharp knives and moving cars!!!!
This is so weird for me to read how life (people) are in other states. I live in Georgia and nobody bats an eye twice at a folding knife. Every man carrys one here. Even if you have a 4" blade to cut your childs hamburger at McD's. People may look briefly, but nobody has any reaction.

Reactions: HST
I think most people are cool and will mind their business... but it just takes one A-hole to call in your plate.

When your driving make sure you keep your knife out of site...

Agreed: I always keep it low and over the passenger seat area incase the need for evasive braking so that I won't have to drive myself straight to Emergency.

Also try not to look too excited opening/closing the knife repeatedly at a stoplight. That's when you'll usually catch people looking.

I do this with my new knives to/from work, and like said above, open to almost-lock, and close... My commute is 30 to 40 min each direction (straight hwy). That's 5 to 6+ hours of pivot break-in per week, and keeps me entertained on the drive.

Just pay attention to the road!

I do this same thing with my 3hr round trip commute.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the blade has to engage the lockbar.
When I have done this in the past, I have opened to almost open to almost closed. That was enough to significantly speed the break in.

Clean the knife and put it back together dry, then do this for a while. Almost open to almost closed, a few hundred times. Then put some lube in, and it's smooth as butter.

you're essentially "breaking in" the bronze washers to mold even better with the rest of the knife's mechanics. definitively won't hurt a well built knife like a sebenza.

Clean the knife and put it back together dry, then do this for a while. Almost open to almost closed, a few hundred times. Then put some lube in, and it's smooth as butter.

This makes perfect sense.

Now to take things a step further...(something I have never done or heard of anyone doing). I have often wondered if taking the knife apart and putting some flitz polish on the washers and then opening and closing to polish things out? Has anyone tried this?

I have heard of Emerson knives leaving the factory with this gritty substance that helps smooth the washers out and break the knife in. Anyone that has taken apart and cleaned Emersons from the factory knows what I am talking about.

I think that breaking in the detent track helps smooth them out as well... Some of the resistance you feel is from the detent riding the track

Last edited:
Back