Interesting new vid from Cold Steel

wow hold outs, but only the tiny boys size and the 6". the 4" was the best size and most useful. better if a 4.5" was made but that aint gonna happen.

I can see a pattern going on here. tiny stuff for legal reasons and the little knife folks who love the boys size folders.....and over sized for the bigger boys. oh well.

This video is just marketing to appease the fan with the sole purpose to ease the transition and deposit good will from long time fans. It’s quite disingenuous IMO. GSM is trying to say that they are responsible for listening to the fan and quickly reintroduced Talwar and Holdout, but the fact is, these knives already been in production or probably produced before they acquired CS.

There’s already been talks by the previous CS reps here and on social media about bringing back these models last year, way before GSM happened. I can confidently say that all 2021 releases had been planned and produced well in advance. Product releases take months or years of planning in general. Look at the billboarding on the new Talwar, still using old CS logo for example. I’m surprised to see that many people don’t see thru the BS.

Not trying to be negative here, I genuinely wish CS well under GSM, and that GSM can help improve CS’s go-to-market strategy. I run a major product line in a Fortune 100 corporation, and I live and breathe this corporate BS everyday. Sometimes we release PR like this, knowing that it’s BS and some of the smart ones will see right through it, but majority of users/buyers will buy the BS.

The comments from social media and YouTube on this video shows that these BS work, this is why we(the corporation) keep doing it.

As long as they continue to produce knives that people want to buy I 'd say that's a good thing! What difference does it make when or why they decided on those particular designs?

what happen big stick????

cf1.jpg

The messaging is confusing. Are they targeting outdoors the sportsman, or domestic cooking enthusiast? Most often the two are not the same, and even when they are, Would I want a kitchen knife brand making my survival equipment? Let’s face it, they are diluting the brand.

What’s next? How about a line of self-healing LT plush stab me toys for the little tots. It comes with its own miniature toy plastic tanto knife. The toy would bear LT’s likeness, wearing shorts, with the new Cold Steel logo on his T-shirt. :)

n2s

wow hold outs, but only the tiny boys size and the 6". the 4" was the best size and most useful.

Cool to see Hold outs coming back, but kinda surprised not seeing the 4" model.
I'm sure that this year product line is just a CS legacy. The next year will show where GSM will bring CS, IMO.

The messaging is confusing. Are they targeting outdoors the sportsman, or domestic cooking enthusiast? Most often the two are not the same, and even when they are, Would I want a kitchen knife brand making my survival equipment? Let’s face it, they are diluting the brand.

What’s next? How about a line of self-healing LT plush stab me toys for the little tots. It comes with its own miniature toy plastic tanto knife. The toy would bear LT’s likeness, wearing shorts, with the new Cold Steel logo on his T-shirt. :)

n2s

How are they diluting the brand? Cold Steel has made kitchen cutlery for a while, right along side the massive pocket swords and blow guns.

One step at a time ! :rolleyes:

So far , so good .

Two old favorites back with quality materials and Taiwan build , so probably real smooth . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

n2s

Take my money!!! Where can I buy this toy?!

It's nice to see GMSO/CS actually listening to users. One thing to keep in mind is that CS has years of hard data on what sizes actually sells among their multitude of models. Blade length choices does not have to be left up to opinions. In the case of the reintroduction of the Hold Out, I'm sure the choice of bringing back the 3 and 6 inchers was based on past sales rates.

When you think about it, that makes a lot of sense. Something like the Hold Out appeals to those looking for what's almost a gentleman's knife (3") -- light/thin/small, versus a (relatively) light large (6") knife, well-suited for other uses.

Last edited:
How are they diluting the brand? Cold Steel has made kitchen cutlery for a while, right along side the massive pocket swords and blow guns.
Indeed. Knife companies like Spyderco and even the venerable (gasp!) Randall make food prep/serving knives and utensils.

It'll be entertaining in the coming year to watch those who continue to search for new angles (often in vain) to attack CS/LCT.

Last edited:
This video is just marketing to appease the fan with the sole purpose to ease the transition and deposit good will from long time fans. It’s quite disingenuous IMO. GSM is trying to say that they are responsible for listening to the fan and quickly reintroduced Talwar and Holdout, but the fact is, these knives already been in production or probably produced before they acquired CS.

There’s already been talks by the previous CS reps here and on social media about bringing back these models last year, way before GSM happened. I can confidently say that all 2021 releases had been planned and produced well in advance. Product releases take months or years of planning in general. Look at the billboarding on the new Talwar, still using old CS logo for example. I’m surprised to see that many people don’t see thru the BS.

Not trying to be negative here, I genuinely wish CS well under GSM, and that GSM can help improve CS’s go-to-market strategy. I run a major product line in a Fortune 100 corporation, and I live and breathe this corporate BS everyday. Sometimes we release PR like this, knowing that it’s BS and some of the smart ones will see right through it, but majority of users/buyers will buy the BS.

The comments from social media and YouTube on this video shows that these BS work, this is why we(the corporation) keep doing it.

You couldn't have been more right in everything you have said!......

Indeed. Knife companies like Spyderco and even the venerable (gasp!) Randall make food prep/serving knives and utensils.

It'll be entertaining in the coming year to watch those who continue to search for new angles (often in vain) to attack CS/LST.

I still don't trust GSM. We'll see what happens in 2022. 2021 knives were already in the pipeline before the takeover, and anyone who believes that GSM is bringing back the talwar doesn't understand that things like that don't just pop up overnight.

I'm still probably getting an ad15 lite though...

I still don't trust GSM. We'll see what happens in 2022. 2021 knives were already in the pipeline before the takeover, and anyone who believes that GSM is bringing back the talwar doesn't understand that things like that don't just pop up overnight.

I'm still probably getting an ad15 lite though...
Let's break this down...

First, just how many new models/year does a knife company need to introduce in order to be judged a good supplier of knives? Given some recent comments, I'm really curious about that?

With regards to the reintroduction of the Talwar and Hold Out, let's give that some thought. First, neither is for sale yet. Second, and this is a biggie, both models are fully designed, tested and tooled. Then we have to ask what the order book for CS's vendor on this models looks like? Are they busy? Are they looking for work? I don't know, and I'm not interested in opinions.

What I'm certain of is the order book-to-ship time can vary wildly based on the vendors workload, raw material inventory/availability and what premium CSMO/CS might be willing to pay for them.

If they're not busy (or if GMSO/CS is willing to pay to expedite), and the raw materials are on hand, it wouldn't be out of line for a one month (or far less) lead time. Then there's shipping time. A month over the water in a container, or a few days via air freight.

Depending on when they actually end up shipping -- even if it's within a month or so, then yes, it's quite possible that bringing back the Talwar and Hold Out was actually driven by recent customer input, and not product planning a year ago.

Last edited:
Back