Is there a knife w/the stud and clip on same side?

Joined
Sep 5, 2003
Messages
390
I was thinking, what would make for a good hoodlum's (or defense) knife, and one requirement is that you have to be able to flip it out and have it in a position where you cut with a punching motion (I can't figure out how to describe it, but you know, hold the handle in a fist with the second knuckles in the blade's cutting edge) without rotating the knife in your hand. So I was thinking how could this be done (assuming the knife starts in the back pocket). It seems the clip and thumbstud would have to be on the same side, it would have to be tip up, and it would either have to be assisted opening or have a very loose pivot so that you could open it with your ring finger. So, anything like this?
 
Last edited:
why not just a good old fashion push dagger? And why did you use the term "hoodlem?" It's like you were searching for the most negative term but dropped the words "gangster" and "rapist."
::sigh::
Anyway, a crap load of folders have ampy thumbstuds.
 
Well, hoodlum is because that's what I was thinking. Maybe I should have said brawler. I actually don't know what a push dagger is, but I suppose a stilletto would be the best choice, but I was just thinking in terms of legal options. I guess a hoodlum/brawler wouldn't care about legal though. I forgot all about being able to switch the side the thumbstud is on. Then when I tried it I realized doing that also flips the side the cutting edge is pointing to, so it doesn't work. So I think I would have to be able to flip the clip onto the other side, not the thumbstud.
 
speedfan said:
Well, hoodlum is because that's what I was thinking. Maybe I should have said brawler. I actually don't know what a push dagger is, but I suppose a stilletto would be the best choice, but I was just thinking in terms of legal options. I guess a hoodlum/brawler wouldn't care about legal though. I forgot all about being able to switch the side the thumbstud is on. Then when I tried it I realized doing that also flips the side the cutting edge is pointing to, so it doesn't work. So I think I would have to be able to flip the clip onto the other side, not the thumbstud.

OMG! WTF?
Are... Are you actually confusing the clip with the thumbstud?
 
Get a custom. I almost did until I found the Dominator. I wanted a knife with tanto point, S30V Blade, assisted open, titanium handle & locks. I thought for sure I'd never find a knife with all those features, but Camillus CUDA makes one, with everything I want, if they didn't I'd be paying big bucks on a custom. If you want it bad enough, and can afford it, go for the custom. Just tell the maker exactly what you want, and what your planning to do with it and why, you know, paint him a clear picture of what it is you want, pay'em and get everything you want, that's what I'd do. This way you get everything you want it to have, and get a very high quality knife.
 
speedfan said:
(I can't figure out how to describe it, but you know, hold the handle in a fist with the second knuckles in the blade's cutting edge)
You're right about that. I've read this two or three times now, and I still can't figure out what you're trying to accomplish. Why would you want the second knuckles (sic) in the blade's cutting edge?

I'm with the other guys on the "hoodlum" thing as well. I think knife SD techniques have their place (and their own forum) but hoodlum assault-oriented knives and techniques don't have one here.
 
I'm confused too, what's the point?

BTW a hood lum is that thing under the front of your car hood that you slide sideways after you pop the hood in order to open it, IIRC there are no studs, just bolts. :D

just found an old Edge Brand model 417 throwing knife and sheath. :)
 
underaged! said:
I think you shouldn't even own a knife. :rolleyes:

Aw come on now, I'm perfectly responsible with my knives, probably wouldn't even use them for self-defense. My knives are for non-flesh-cutting purposes. I was just having fun throwing an idea around in my head. Sheesh.
 
Knifeclerk said:
OMG! WTF?
Are... Are you actually confusing the clip with the thumbstud?

No, I hadn't got the two confused, I just had the geometry confused. If I move the clip to the side where the thumbstud is, the geometry of it would work, but by moving the stud to the clip side, then the blade opens in the wrong direction.
 
TorzJohnson said:
You're right about that. I've read this two or three times now, and I still can't figure out what you're trying to accomplish. Why would you want the second knuckles (sic) in the blade's cutting edge?

I'm with the other guys on the "hoodlum" thing as well. I think knife SD techniques have their place (and their own forum) but hoodlum assault-oriented knives and techniques don't have one here.

Ok, open your knife. Now, make a fist around the handle in such a way that when you do a punching motion, the cutting edge goes away from your body. That's what I'm talking about.

I apologize for using the term hoodlum. I didn't realize people here are so sensitive about it. But what's sic about second knuckles?
 
T. Erdelyi said:
I'm confused too, what's the point?

BTW a hood lum is that thing under the front of your car hood that you slide sideways after you pop the hood in order to open it, IIRC there are no studs, just bolts. :D

just found an old Edge Brand model 417 throwing knife and sheath. :)

Ok, the point holding the blade with the cutting edge in line with the second knuckles is that it's effective in a fight if you throw a hook.

As far as the hood lum, are the ones you don't slide also hood lums? For instance, on my car, a piece of the grill pops out when you pull the lever and then you pull that piece outward to open the hood. Is that still a lum? BTW, from now on I won't be telling people to open the hood, but to expose the hood lum.
 
speedfan said:
But what's sic about second knuckles?
Sic is a latin word that means "thus" or "so". People use it in parentheses or brackets to denote a grammatical error or misspelling in the original text they're quoting.

"hold the handle in a fist with the second knuckles in the blade's cutting edge"

That being said, I probably shouldn't have used it because I wasn't directly quoting you at that point, plus I hate to be didactic about spelling or grammar, since I'm not perfect myself. But damn close to it :D
 
I knew sic is the latin, but I always thought when used in parentheses it is meant to be an acronym for spelled incorrectly. I never thought that the latin was the true meaning (and it is, I checked with MW). To clear it up, I meant the second knuckles in line with the knife's cutting edge.
 
Last edited:
I don't understand why you want what you do but if you get a knife with dual thumb studs (both left and right side) you should have what you want.
 
No, and I see why you ask though. It seems like stud towards body clip on opposite side, tip down should fit this bill, but there is a faster orientation for this.
 
Back
Top