Is there any chance that Cold steel is coming up with new bowie design?

Spyderco has new bowie blade coming up and it is along the lines of traditional custom bowie called "Respect".Very nicely designed 8 inch blade.I was hoping and am hoping that Cold steel will make something similar in budget and premium line for fair price as it is my favourite production knives company.(something modern but traditional is what I'm hoping for).Any info is welcome!

when i read your title my first thought was the spyderco respect....and was thinking how great would it be if cold steel did a new bowie in 3v......

A new Cold Steel Bowie would be welcome. There are so many possibilities. On one hand they can introduce something completely new like a Warcraft Bowie for example. Make it in three different blade lengths like they did with the Warcraft Tanto. 3V Steel, DLC, full flat grind, full tang with G10 or micarta scales.

Or bring long standing models out like the Trail Master, Recon Scout, Laredo and Natchez with 3V steel with DLC finish. The drop forged Bowie and Survivalist were my favorite new knives for 2017. If they made them with DLC finish it would only enhance an already great design.

A beefed up Marauder would be another impressive blade. Make it in 3V with DLC or even O-1 tool steel. Thicker blade, micarta handle with steel guard and sub hilt. Wow, what a bad ass knife that would be.

I wish something along the lines of custom bowie would come up,similar to Laredo bowie .Laredo with micarta grip is excellent btw. Especially for price and even better than some customs.

I wish something along the lines of custom bowie would come up,similar to Laredo bowie .Laredo with micarta grip is excellent btw. Especially for price and even better than some customs.
Laredo is probably the best production bowie made today. It would be even better in 3V with a slight design tweak. Since 3V is much tougher steel, they could make it from 3/16 or 1/4 inch stock, instead of 5/16. And they could get rid of the cable tang, just make it real full tang, like the Trailmaster. Keep the balance the same though. I always felt the Laredo's balance is perfect.

The Laredo handle has never felt comfortable in my hand. The surface feels smooth as glass to me, as though there is no traction or grip what so ever. Then there's the squared corners that make it painful when gripped firmly, which is necessary due to the smooth finish. Absolutely love the blade though. Handle would be so much better if the corners were rounded and if there were an arch in the middle.

Natchez handle feels vastly superior even though made from the same material be it micarta or faux cocobolo. Blade is excellent but wouldn't mind having one with a slighty shorter length, say 8 to 10 inches. Faster in hand, lighter weight and easier for concealed carry.

Trail Master and Recon Scout are damn near perfect as is. 3-V with DLC finish might just make them the ultimate knives in their price range.

I really was impressed with the Drop Forged Bowie and Survivalist last year. Only change would be a better finish than the silver paint that currently coats these knives. DLC or even black powder coat like that on the Hunter model would be an improvement.

So even if there is no new Bowie design waiting in the wings there are lots of possibilities with upgrades to current models in Cold Steel's inventory.

A full tang Natchez would indeed be nice but I don't see them doing that for the simple reason that it would change the whole dynamic of the knife itself. I think a full tang bowie with polished G10 handle scales with a polished steel or nickel finger guard would be nice and worth the extra money to purchase such a knife.

Bushranger would be awesome in 3v or some carbon steel.Laredo doesn't have distal taper,wish cs would make bowie with it.Something along lines of camiluss Fisk bowie would be awesome.

The Laredo handle has never felt comfortable in my hand. The surface feels smooth as glass to me, as though there is no traction or grip what so ever. Then there's the squared corners that make it painful when gripped firmly, which is necessary due to the smooth finish. Absolutely love the blade though. Handle would be so much better if the corners were rounded and if there were an arch in the middle.

Exactly. But underneath that slick sharp edged coffin is the warm smooth grippy body of an exceptional black Micarta handle. It can be revealed with sand paper and hard work.

Attachments

• Laredo and Commodore L Sized.jpg
    Laredo and Commodore L Sized.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Laredo Handle Sized.jpg
    Laredo Handle Sized.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 47
Wow Murindo, that modification to your Laredo turned out really nice. Ideally for me would be a Natchez handle with a Laredo blade. The swell in the middle of the Natchez handle feels really comfortable in my hand and firmly locked into place.

I'm OK with the cable tang . It functions to damp out vibration and shock when hitting another weapon or hard surface .

However , the slippery wood handles could be improved for sure . I wrapped mine which works but looks tacky . :)

Back