Is this a fake? S&W Homeland Security 1st Production Run

Hi all. A friend is cleaning out his knife cupboard and asking me to sell stuff for him. I found this knife but I'm pretty sure it's a fake. Supposedly a S&W Homeland Security 1st Production Run. No pictures of this configuration online, the blade profile is correct but it looks to me like a weird mash-up of S&W and Colt design language.

Opinions?

IMG_4897.jpeg IMG_4900.jpeg IMG_4901.jpeg IMG_4902.jpeg IMG_4904.jpeg

Centermass

Gold Member
Yeah, highly unlikely IMO. If I recall correctly, S&W knives were produced by Taylor Brands, and Colt knives by United Cutlery. Both primarily use Chinese production, and are fairly low-budget to begin with. Not exactly prime target demographic for desirability to counterfeit.

In a weird way I find it kind of cool that the Taylor Cutlery logo just comes right out and says CHINA440...lol

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, highly unlikely IMO. If I recall correctly, S&W knives were produced by Taylor Brands, and Colt knives by United Cutlery. Both primarily use Chinese production, and are fairly low-budget to begin with. Not exactly prime target demographic for desirability to counterfeit.

And being "first production run" of a low end product is kind of a non-starter.

Planterz

Gold Member
And being "first production run" of a low end product is kind of a non-starter.

Particularly at the volume at which these knives are produced. How many thousands make up this "run" and was there really even a break before a second production run?

Hal

I don't think it's fake - but - I do think someone has redone the scales.
When I search for that by the number on the blade, I find a lot of hits - but - the handles are all blue.

brownshoe

I support this site with my MIND
I don't think it's fake - but - I do think someone has redone the scales.
When I search for that by the number on the blade, I find a lot of hits - but - the handles are all blue.

I agree, or else it’s a special run, maybe dealer gift? Looks nicer than the average SW knife.