I've designed myself a few throwing knives.

Because I was NOT satisfied with throwing knives available on market (and their prices :D)
I've decided to get some knives manufactured.

I draw four designs in the begining.

classic.png

gotowe.png

Of course one can find many similarities to other knives that were made earlier - it is hard to bring something completely new.

bazarek2.jpg

bazarek5.jpg

bazarek3.jpg

bazarek4.jpg

Knives are laser cut, sharpened, hardened, cutting edge removed, sprayed with teflon to get some rust protection
bazarek1.jpg

And this is how they fly...
[video=youtube;xGFBUV4g3s8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGFBUV4g3s8[/video]

NOT A LIVE TREE. Just a stump

It is just teflon spray, nothing special.
No "active" rust after being sprayed. Very nice.
My designated technology is galvanization, but galvanizing shop blew me off.

I wonder how auto parts type chroming would hold up? Or maybe hard chroming, if it is not too expensive.

Your third design reminds me of an old McAvoy knife I wish someone still made.

Did I misspell McAvoy?

Tru Balance knives are still being made. McEvoy's son, Stephen would not be please that someone is copying his design that is still in production.

I've been thinking about the auto bumper type of chrome plating and think I had a bad idea. It might not last long enough to be worth the cost and when it started to peel it would probably slice your hand. Hard chrome should probably work but appears to be too expensive to be practical.

I thought Tru Balance closed with the father passing. Good to know.

Tru Balance knives are still being made. McEvoy's son, Stephen would not be please that someone is copying his design that is still in production.

I believe that those knives are not similar enough to be considered a blatant copy.
But of course Tru Bal knives were my first inspiration.

Wild Bill 1896 said:
I've been thinking about the auto bumper type of chrome plating and think I had a bad idea. It might not last long enough to be worth the cost and when it started to peel it would probably slice your hand. Hard chrome should probably work but appears to be too expensive to be practical.

I'm aiming at zinc based covering. Inexpensive and delivers great rust protection, even when scratched.

And when it comes to third design - the one with large "choil" - it is the worst flying knives of the pack. :) First time no the charm :)

I'm not picking an argument - especially with the moderator - but may I refer people to this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/994709-How-to-make-a-14-quot-Throwing-Knife .

I made a bowie shaped knife - similar to the Perfect Balance - using a picture from a 1950's magazine to get the approx' dimensions.
That article was a report on a very old knife design, and used IIRC an article from the 1920's as a reference.
I didn't 'copy' a production design - because that make & model was a production from the 1880's, and that company no longer exists.
The logo on the web page of Tru Balance Knives uses a very similar design ie the bowie shape.
So repectfully, I think that the design is a historic one ie comparatively old, and certainly copied by Cold Steel (maybe under licence - I don't know!).

If anyone could enlighten me as to the original design ie the bowie shape used by Cold Steel as the Perfect Balance, I would be grateful,
as I am interested in old designs. It is interesting that many modern practical use designs are similar to ancient ones.

The perfect balance is a McEvoy design also and Cold Steel paid for the rights to use it. Your knife is a copy also no matter how much you don't want to think it is. The other knife you have is a copy of a Randall thrower.

The perfect balance is a McEvoy design also and Cold Steel paid for the rights to use it. Your knife is a copy also no matter how much you don't want to think it is. The other knife you have is a copy of a Randall thrower.

I'm preety sure that it won't be hard to find original project for the last of my drawing.
Im sure someone made a one like this earlier.

I would like to link to collection page from Throwzini webpage.
http://www.throwzini.com/ricochet.htm

Many, many similar designs, sometimes similarities are almost striking.
And, some designs are so simple that it is hard NOT to make a similar knife.

I'm preety sure that it won't be hard to find original project for the last of my drawing.
Im sure someone made a one like this earlier.

I would like to link to collection page from Throwzini webpage.
http://www.throwzini.com/ricochet.htm

Many, many similar designs, sometimes similarities are almost striking.
And, some designs are so simple that it is hard NOT to make a similar knife.

Just like all the crap coming out of China, there is nothing you can do from people who copy designs, but that does not make it right. You will probably not have a problem unless you begin to sell them commercially, then you may get a call. Some people get permission for making other people designs just as I have. It is the right thing to do.

Back