Izula wrap with palm swell

I got bored this morning so I touched up the edge on my Izula and wrapped it in waxed hemp wick, the kind used for lighting pipes. Before that I heated the tang over the stove and rubbed beeswax into the steel to protect against rust. After the wrap I slipped 7 ranger bands over the rear portion of the handle beginning in two rows and tapering up in a stepped fashion until everything overlapped in the middle. The resulting swell rests perfectly between my middle and ring finger and enhances my grip considerably.

I imagine all the materials used could come in handy in any number of desperate situations as well. It’s kind of ugly, and I reckon the hemp wick will gather all kinds of dirt very quickly, but it’s so damn functional, grippy and affordable to set one up like this that I figured someone here might like it.CADD613E-D77A-437E-9772-C4EC3A18D59E.jpeg 93472874-85C4-47C5-8E79-18F58AF58B93.jpeg

I didn’t think of this until just now, but you could wrap a little extra hemp wick on the handle and cover it with the ranger bands in such a way that you could just pull it out and use it to light things as needed and the rubber would protect it and keep it in place.

Looks good and I'm sure it makes it much nicer to handle. Is that a real Izula? I've never seen them stamped like that before.

Here is a pic of mine with a suede/buckskin wrap. I bought the G10 scales and haven't installed them yet because this just feels so good.
izula.jpg

Sweet man; I like the natural look. Rawhide is actually what I set out to put on mine this morning but I couldn’t locate it. This hemp wick idea was a happy little accident, haha.

Here’s some updated pics. I added a magnesium rod and a small spool of extra wick under what I’m calling the ranger band palm swell. I also added a small ferro rod to the sheath.

Attachments

• B67FA5F0-CF7A-4D7B-AB45-2B52958ADA33.jpeg
    B67FA5F0-CF7A-4D7B-AB45-2B52958ADA33.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 19964FC8-6CCD-4CD5-ABDA-67EAA4CFEF83.jpeg
    19964FC8-6CCD-4CD5-ABDA-67EAA4CFEF83.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 16
Back