Japanese Steel

Wifey is going to Osaka for a few days. I'd love a piece of Japanese steel for the kitchen. I've got a Shun chefs knife that handles the majority of my needs and a wufstof pairing knife for small work. What would make a great addition to the stable from Osaka? I know there are several knife shops in the city with lots of options.

Agree with timos- timos- Bunka pattern blades are cool aesthetically and very useful all around kitchen tools. Especially if you don't have abundant counter space as they tend to be in the 6" to 7" range. Santoku pattern is like wise handy. Lately, I've come to spend time w/ a kiritsukis pattern blades - however, the don't have any belly curve to the edge (flat profile), so if you like rock chopping they are not a great choice.

I have read that tsukji masamoto and misono are high up in the ranks of Japanese cutlery. I think that VG-10 with a softer steel "envelope" is pretty common arrangement.

I guess I should’ve been MUCH more specific with my wife about what I wanted from Japan. She has returned with gift in hand. While I am sure that it will cut stuff, I was hoping for something a little more refined. She bought me a Kuocera “ceramic “ blade plastic handle “chefs knife”. I know I should be grateful, but it’s like going on a trip to Paris to sample cheese and buying a pack of Kraft singles. I know I’m whining but it’s not like I’m in Japan every day.

I know I’m whining but it’s not like I’m in Japan every day.
My "liking" your post is out of sympathy with your plight, not approval of the situation.

However, you can always order great Japanese-made knives on-line and pick out pretty much what you want. You don't have to go with the big brand names. There are several sellers that carry knives from smaller makers.

Back