john primble knives

Can anyone tell me anything about john primble knives?I have talked to a lot of older farmers who say they were their fathers favorite knives and were sold at feed stores.I have a primble 4 blade serpentine stockman with the extra blade a small pen.The serial#is 5514-S and has what appears to be jigged delrin artificial bone handles.Any information on this knife or primbles in general would be greatly appreciated.

All I know is that John Primble knives were a Hardware Wholesale Brand made for Belknap Hardware Company. John Primble contracted Boker, Camillus, Utica and Schrade to have the knives made. There was also a Wholesale Brand made by Utica for John Primble that was sold through establishments other than hardware stores.

*Edited to add*

Where are my manners? Welcome to BladeForums. Kick your shoes off and sit a spell.

The old ones were pretty fine knives in general. If the knife was made after 1985 they was made by Utica for Blue Grass (Distributed out of Manchester OH.), prior to that they were made in Germany and the U.S. and initially distributed in Louisville Ky. Those US ones were made by the folks Keith mentioned.

The serial number you refer to is the pattern number of the knife. Unfortunately I do not have any specific information on your knife.

Welcome to the forums. Another excellent source that could tell you more about Primbles than I could even come close too is Bernard Levin. He has a forum here at BF in the General section and is one of the worlds formost authorites. You may want to post a question in his forum. I am sure a lot of us would be interested in the information he will share.

It is a pretty busy time right now and he may be out of town, so we might have to give him a few days to answer.

Back