Just got my new CRKT M16

Well, I just picked up my CRKT M-16-04 today. Wow! What an incredibly well made, knife this is. It’s a work of art, in my opinion. Right out of the box, It opened as smoothly as butter with nothing but a brisk punch of the pointer finger on the Carson Flipper knob. It seems well balanced and is extremely sharp. I really like the profile of the wide, Tanto style blade. Mine is the plain edge version. I am very happy with this knife. Can you tell? Jeff/1911.

The knives are very sharp indeed.
I had a friend of mine visiting last saturday, and it took only a few moments for him to cut himself on the tanto blade. And that was the M16-02Z, smaller than yours.
They are very sharp indeed.
They have the same smoothness of opening as you find in much more expensive knives.
Very recommendable.
The flipper only opens the knife about half-ways on my knife, most likely due to the fact that the blade is smaller.

I have one of these too and I agree whole heartedly, this is one hell of a knife. This is so well constructed that it beats out other knives I own in the $200 price range.
Makes me wonder what Kit Carson's original must be like!

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Dedicated ELU
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Sebenzanista

I like mine too. I even felt good enough about it to wear it at the Blade Show last year. When I walked by the CRKT booth, Rod B., I believe, said, "I like your choice of carry." Nice defensive blade. Good utility.

------------------
Jay

Welcome to the club! I sure missed my M16-14 this weekend. Went up to Vancouver BC, and though I ran a search re laws before going, decided to go "lightly." Took M16 out of pocket and replaced with Tighe Tac. Left my LUS in left pocket. Figured if anyone checked me out, at least I'd be carrying knives designed by 2 Canadians.

Found a hole-in-the-wall little knife shop in one of the downtown malls. Got to handle the little carbon fiber M16. If it had a flipper, I'd know what my next purchase would be. Sweet little knife.

Kinda funny, but they hadn't yet gotten their hands on the Tighe Tac. First time in a knife shop I got to show my knife to the clerk!

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

I was looking at an M16 the other day in the local gun shop.
smile.gif
I agree with all the comments about the feel and the action of the knife, especially that lovely flick/guard concept.

But, (not wanting to rain on anyones parade) how does the blade itself perform. I saw the Taiwan printed on the blade and thought Hmmm, I also had a S&W blade on the counter so I "LIGHTLY tested" the two edges,
eek.gif
(don't lynch me, I'd never heard of CRKT and was wondering if it was just a taiwanese copy) the resulting knick in the M16 from such a light pressure without even a light reflection dulling of the other blade stopped me from buying the knife. The quality of the knife's operation was superb, but I've had a lot of "experiences" with Taiwanese steels, so I attributed it to steel or heat treating and decided to do some internetting.

I realise that the knife has a very sharp angled edge and that the two steels may have been different, but the difference between the two was staggering. I even considered buying the knife and replacing the blade, but $100 (australian rubles) is too much for a handle and blade pattern.

So enough rambling, does it hold an edge??
Stuart.

I own a small M16 and frankly I'd have to say the blade steel sucks. The only thing that makes up for the poor materials is that Kit Carson is a genius, and the flipper is great. When I was using it as my every day carry I had to sharpen it almost every day.I think one of my biggest problems with it is the chisel ground edge. It only took a month for me to get so POed that I reprofiled it into a V edge. Chisel grinds are too weak and don't track well enough to use all the time. Its an ingenious design, and I love the look, but now its just collecting dust on the dresser.

Only the partially serrated M-16's have a "chisel edge". My plain blade version has a conventional "V grind" and it seems excellent. I've been cutting everything I can find over the last few days, and it's still very sharp. Seems quite durable to me. AUS-8 is quitely well thought of, isn't it? Jeff/1911.

Aus-8 is a pretty good blade steel, look around a bit, you'll see it in Spyderco's and other mfg's products. I've personally never had a knife with this steel that required daily sharpening, what was being cut to make the blade dull that quick ?
I've used Buck knives with a lower grade of steel that held an edge for a week under pretty heavy use (cutting rope, carpet, plastic zip ties, cardboard etc), so please explain how AUS-8 falls shorter than that. Maybe the chisel grind was at fault, I agree that that grind is not (IMHO) the best for a working knife; but the M16-04 I have is ground on both sides.
wink.gif

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Dedicated ELU
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Sebenzanista

Has any one purchased the Military Green handled M-16 with the black blade?

Is the green handle color the same as the regular olive green handle or is it a different color green?

Mine was the serrated version, I didn't know that they put different grinds on each. I could have saved myself alot of time if I bought it plain edged.
smile.gif
My blades go through alot of abuse. The m-16 was a "beater" knife so it got borroewd out to friends alot too. I observed that compared to an ATS-34 or M-2 blade it just didn't compare in keeping that hair popping edge. By the way I think an m-16 with an M-2 blade would be a great combination. How about you?

I really like the new military version. I think the colors only improve an already great design.

Has anyone else had problems with their lock disengaging under negative pressure? Mine fails the spine whack test miserably. another reason not to use it as a daily carry. Oh well, nothing and nobody's perfect.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian Lavin:
Aus-8 is a pretty good blade steel, plastic zip ties, cardboard etc), so please explain how AUS-8 falls shorter than that. Maybe the chisel grind was at fault, I agree that that grind is not (IMHO) the best for a working knife; but the M16-04 I have is ground on both sides.
wink.gif

</font>

This may be part of the explanation, I was checking some catalogs and found that the M16-04 is AUS8, but the Zytel versions are AUS6M, I'll have to check what the model I looked at was.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by S Dunbar:
This may be part of the explanation, I was checking some catalogs and found that the M16-04 is AUS8, but the Zytel versions are AUS6M, I'll have to check what the model I looked at was.

</font>

I checked the store, it was a M16-03Z. Guilty as charged your honour! Send that knife to the scrapyard. Now I know, dont even consider a knife with AUS6M (from CRKT anyhow, is there a difference between AUS6M and AUS6). According to a local internet knife supplier Zytel model $80, M16-03(AUS8) $115. You get what you pay for, but only if you pay enough. I love the knife style but would feel robbed if I'd even payed $50.
NOTE: Halve all above prices for USD equivalent of Australian Rubles.

I have the Carbon Fiber Tanto with plain edge. Origionally I really like this knife but as I used it more and more, the CF didn't hold up as well as I though they would. The thumb studs also annoyed the heck out of me. I tore up my thumb rather nicely with them. The steel was good as well as the lock up but where is the flipper? I missed it. I might get an aluminum one someday but right now I wouldn't waste the cash.
MAtt

Back