1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Just USE the damn knife...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by stabman, May 25, 2019.

1. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Did you know that the Umnumzaan is really a $400 cleaning tool?

The can of Lysol I have for disinfecting things somehow managed to leak all the propellant out while the liquid stayed in (not sure how THAT happened).
    Anyway, needed to clean out a locker that was rather gross before putting my stuff in there, and crushing the can to create more pressure did not work this time.

So, needed to jab a hole in there to get the fluid out.
    No cheap knife on me...just the CRK Umnumzaan.

I did hesitate for a moment, then thought "Why the hell am I carrying this knife if I won't use it?"
    So, a quick stab making a small hole did not do the trick; had to stab it in till full blade width was reached. This made a slit that could be opend with thumb pressure no problem.

Best of all, no blade dulling at all. :)
    Lysol can is magnetic, so probably steel of some sort.

So, that's my (latest) not so exciting story of realizing you might as well just use your damn knife or not bother carrying it. ;)

What's yours?

BITEME, V-1, evltcat and 26 others like this.
  2. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I sabraged a bottle of Vodka .A plastic bottle ! :eek::p

tyyreaun, The Zieg and Mike157 like this.
  3. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Sab-raging is a federal offense :(

B Griffin likes this.
  4. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    no decent vodka comes in plastic!

5. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Next you'll be tellin' me that boxed wine ain't the best ever ! :rolleyes:

sodak, slyraven, Filoso and 3 others like this.
  6. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Using the term "Boxed Wine" will almost get you arrested here Napa Valley.

Definitely fighting words...

Bad Ninja, User27, b00n and 6 others like this.
  7. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    I honestly wish I had more chances to use my knife. I sometimes catch myself using my knives for silly stuff like opening a bag of crisps (potato chips for Americans), and I makes me question whether I really need to be carrying a knife. But those thoughts are too logical for an addict like me.

8. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I think I am kind of a pragmatic guy so I don’t seethe point in spending my money and in losing some space in my pocket for a knife that I won’t be using

I have knives from $10 to $800 and they are all users.... I maybe soft on ole of them or hard on others but I definitively used them
    Actually when I realise I don’t really use one of them, I simply sell it

slyraven, sgt244, cwsmith17 and 2 others like this.
  9. 416isToronto

416isToronto Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    LoL! You are not alone...yesterday i used a Spartan Harsey Folder to open a box of tea biscuits...definitely overkill, but it was there and had an excuse to use it...:cool:

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Yeah, those Lysol cans are kind of like 2-liter soft drink bottles; don't store them too long unused. They die.

If I carry a knife, I use it. I might not abuse it. Not going to bother carrying something I won't use.

jkwithawave and jc57 like this.
  11. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I was carrying my ZT 303 yestersay when i found myself having to complete an impromptu plumbing job for a customer.

Now no one would call the 303 a safe queen. It's a hard use beast....but its still a 300 dollar knife. No matter. I used it to score measurements on the pvc. Since this was an emergency job, i hadn't brought my pipe cutters. I had to use a cut down hacksaw blade. I used the 303 to scrape out the burs and clean up the cut so that it would glue together properly.

Then I ran into a similar issue as Stabman. My can of glue was new and has the lid screwed down tightly AND was air locked. I couldn't get the lid to budge with 24" channel locks. I had to use the 303 to jab a hole in the top of the steel can so that it would release lid. Worked like a charm. Big ol fat tip is fine.

The blade is a bit less that razor sharp after all the plumbing and cutting of boxes and rubber tubing, but there is no damage, even to the tiger stripe dlc.

A cheap buck 110 could have done the same job. My old man has been using one for this sort of thing for over 40 years. But it was nice to somewhat wring out a knife designed to be used hard. The 303 didn't let me down. When i have some time over the holiday I'll give her a good touch up and she'll be ready to go for the next mission.

12. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Stabbing Guy -

Get rid of the Zaan and get yourself a small Swiss Army Knife with a can opener or a punch, much more useful for this sort of thing, and for beer cans when the tab breaks off without opening. Then direct your anger towards the damn can rather than the damn knife. No Zaan deserves that abusive language.

cwsmith17 and Reitwagen like this.
  13. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I "manage" a jazz club and was carrying this Mcusta Jazz last week.
    End of the night and I needed to open and break down a few boxes that basically looked as though they had been dragged through concrete.
    Pull the pretty pocket jewelry and utilize it for what it was built for?

Nope.

Sorry, I'm not messing up my polished blade...went upstairs and grabbed a prep knife.:p
    Don't judge me too harshly, at least I grabbed a knife.:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

slyraven, Lateck, herisson and 7 others like this.
  14. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Good point about the SAK as a good emergency beer can opener. I never thought of that! If this insight goes viral, SAK sales will probably double.

cwsmith17 likes this.
  15. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Tools.. Not jewels!!;)
    Butttt.. To be honest I do have more than a few that I baby!!:p
    John

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    slyraven and Bad Ninja like this.
  16. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I always carry a Pioneer X because I do not use my "good" knives for anything much but cutting paper and eating fruit. It does everything I need and a lot more, besides. This does not mean I do not still buy and carry expensive knives, but I have a better option for day to day use.

cwsmith17 and jmh33 like this.
  17. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Lol. No way in h e double hockey sticks am I using my expensive knives for anything, much less abuse. You guys/gals crack up me.

slyraven, jmh33 and Bmgillum like this.
  18. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    I use the knives that I carry, but not as metal punches, gasket scrapers or prying tools. I have a truck full of tools that are better suited to such tasks.

cwsmith17 and 22-rimfire like this.
  19. number9

number9

Mar 5, 2017
    Hey Barman,
    Thanks for the picture. "Friday Night in San Francisco" has been one of my favorites. Now, I'll be looking for that one.
    (Nice knife, too, BTW.)
    And, I'll be using whatever knife is in my pocket to remove the wrapper and seal.

20. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    While I am a big fan of using the proper tool for the job, I don't consider it abuse to use a commercial production combat folder as hard use tool on a daily basis.
    And a knife that doesn't get used isn't a knife, it's just a fancy expensive paperweight.
    ALL of my daily carry knives, cheap or spendy, have made contact with heavy duty staples, powder cement, stripping wires, etc...

POCEH KOCEB and hornetguy like this.