Kabar kaster

I was on doctor's orders to stay off my feet for 2 weeks due to the second surgery on my right foot in a year and a half. I hang out on the Becker forum well having nothing outside I could due I spent way too much time on the net. I already fish with Cuban yoyo reels and Tenkara rods so the backpack kaster looked interesting so I ordered one used a bass pro gift card for some terminal tackle.

Monday morning I had the stitches removed and told to put crutches away . I was told to get out and see how it feels. In 2 trips out I have landed a dozen bluegill and a half dozen decent bass
IMG_20220526_125326.jpgIMG_20220524_174235.jpgIMG_20220523_140650.jpgIMG_20220523_150538.jpg

I found Cuban yoyo reels when I lived in Florida. Nearly every bait shop near salt water sold rigged 6 in Cuban yoyo reels for $5-$7
I have these in 4-1/2, 6 and 9 inch some rigged to handle anything I might hook in the Midwest . A few years ago I bought a aluminum Yoyito reel a small pocket version of the Cuban yoyo reels. I have seen wooden turned hobo reels shaped light the Kabar kaster when Kabar came out with their version I gave it a try . As I said I ordered too much stuff when I was laid up . I just got this in the mail today
I rigged the bigger Cuban yoyo reels most of the time with a slip sinkers and circle hooks. I have rigged them with a slip bobber too . Smaller hand lines I will rig with a bobber and live bait or fish rubber worms or a jig with a rubber body.
A lot of the time I will fish a Cuban yoyo on bottom for cats,carp buffalo etc . I throw it out then cut a stake drive in the ground once I get it set I drop it over the stake. If a fish runs with the bait , the reel just spins around the stake.
I then fish for panfish with a Tenkara rod

Thanks, lots of good info. Do you find it better to use a heavier line weight for handling purposes or does it not matter?

Thanks, lots of good info. Do you find it better to use a heavier line weight for handling purposes or does it not matter?
Definitely stay away from super braided lines . You need heavier line than you would use on a rod and reel cheap mono is what I use most . It is thicker than expensive brands easier to handle. I have 10 lb test on the Kabar , the cabaya comes with 10 lb I think. I have 20 lb on my Yoyito reel I have a couple of 4.5 inch Cuban yoyo reels that have 15 lb on most of my 6 in plastic yoyo reels have 30 lb test on my big 9 inch plastic Cuban yoyo has 60 lb test I have one 6 in yoyo that has bank line on it . I've caught 10 lb flat head catfish and a 15 lb carp on Yoyos

Thanks again! The yoyito looks nice, a little too small maybe? I’d like to hear your impressions of the cabaya once you had a chance to use it a few times. I made something similar for myself a while back but don’t have much experience with it yet.

The Eberlite cabaya reel doesn't cast light stuff as well as the Kabar kaster . Once I got enough weight it did ok . It works better landing a fish than the Kabar kaster

Attachments

• IMG_20220605_160613.jpg
    IMG_20220605_160613.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks plumberroy, I appreciate all your input. I’ve become intrigued about handline fishing for some reason and there is so little discussion about the ins and outs of it.

Thanks plumberroy, I appreciate all your input. I’ve become intrigued about handline fishing for some reason and there is so little discussion about the ins and outs of it.
I have a 7 gallon bucket I have a Lowe's 5 gallon bucket lid on it 3 sizes of plastic Cuban yoyo reels . Yoyito small aluminum yoyo reel , Kabar kaster and Cabaya reel . Tackle box for the plastic Cuban yoyo reels . An altoids tin with tackle for the Cabaya a bag of rubber worms with a few worm hooks in the plastic sleeve they come in the worm bag a lip grip and a small homemade gaff bucket is less than half full weighs nothing gives me tackle to handle anything fresh water room for bait and a chair I can add a small fly box a roll of leader in the bucket and carry a Tenkara rod in the same hand as the bucket. I can fish for about anything . I am just getting back healthy enough to ride a bicycle again . The Yoyito reel was bought to carry in my trunk bag . I can carry everything I need for Tenkara in a cargo pocket and bongo tie the rod to the top tube of the bike . I have stopped and fished when I was out on a bicycle many times

The all in one bucket is a good idea, maybe I can add straps to one. I’ve got a 6 and 9 inch yoyo, will set them up soon. Heavier than first planned, thanks to you.

Back