Kabar shortie, how do you like it?

cbach8tw

Platinum Member
how do you like your shortie? Any pics or thoughts would be appreciated.

I edc a pair of shorties every day. They are very versatile knives. The plastic sheaths are ambidextrous, have molle lashing slots and have 3 retention mechanisms, making them very secure - a couple of molded prongs over the guard, a button strap over the guard and a button strap around the handle.

Working out and about on the farm, I usually just rely on the prongs. If I get up on one of the tractors or climb a ladder, I'll snap the guard strap. Going into town, I MIGHT add the snap the handle strap.

Tanto or clip point, plain or combo edge, leather or plastic sheaths, leather or Kraton handles - lots of options.

I just find the handle to be too small/short for large size hands; well made quality knife but if you have big mitts you might want to "handle" one first before buying.

The 1217 size handle fits my hand perfect, I own two of them.

Hands down the mk 1 is superior with a decent handle and flat grind
I find the grind and bevel too thick on the shorty and if yor an elf or hobbit the handle would be fine...lol
Lots of better small fixed out there.......
I love my 1217 ......have 1 in leather, 2 kraton
Any of the becker tweeners are twice the knife of the shorty I am sad to sayj

I'm the reason KaBar makes the MK1. I wrote a letter recommending it. Got a nice thank you email. 6 or 8 months later they were available. Not much of a claim to fame, but that's all I got. Lol!

I had a Kabar Shorty years ago. Traded it to a friend. Picked up a MK1 a few months back. Hoping to get another Shorty in the coming months. From what I remember, the Short Kabar was a good size for general use, EDC, etc.. Used to use the Shorty on a small farm to cut stuff, dig, build a brush shelter and stab holes in corrugated roofing.

I chose the MK1 over the Shorty. I have other knives that fit the Shorty's role and I really liked the style of the USN knife. But I don't think the Mk1 is available from Ka-Bar any longer. At least it's not available on their website. Mine came from eBay. Pre-owned but never used, so everyone was happy with the deal.

Zieg

The black 2221 (plain edge) and 2222 (serrated edge) actually have Kraton handles, not neoprene. Very durable material, very reliable under wet/oily circumstances.

The 2225 and 2226 are the leather handled versions, plain edge and serrated edge.

All are great knives.

I sold my shorty or gifted it.... either way it's gone. Bought a Mk1 Kraton then a Mk1 leather then a Mk1 Serrated Kraton and now I find out there is a Mk1 Serrated leather Sighhhh Thanks a lot zzyzzogeton zzyzzogeton

Finally got a Mk.1. My Shorty will probably be gifted or kept for kid or vertically challenged person knife. My Mk.1 also might as well...may have to get a few more...

OK I have to state a Shorty is a good knife for those hands it fits. Me and my brother were going to skin the 8 pointer I got, we had a miss communication in time, and when I got there I saw he skinned that 8 pointer with the shorty I gave my nephew. He said it was a great blade to work with and he got the job done fast, my nephew was beaming his dad used yet another knife I gave him (my nephew) for his dad to do an important job with. The shorty fits my brother's hand as well but I figured my nephew needed it more, but the steel of the shorty and blade profile and geometry worked pretty good for that task!

I like the shorty but, my only gripe is the blade is not as wide as the standard version. I wish all the dimensions were the same as the full-size version (save for the length)

Then look at the MK1. Wider blade that the shorties, and almost the same length handle.

Had they left the blade as wide as the MK2 but shrunk everything else down to 3/4, it would have made for an extremely ugly knife.

I love the short kration handal kydex sheath plain edge 1258 my favorite knife in that size when I was a kid I had a 5 inch sheffield bowie william Rodgers one and the shorty replaced it the Sheffield looks more like a mark 1 but I didn't know that model existed at the time but the short has never let me in 5 years of camping outdoor stuff in general building work and mechanics iv used it for a bit of everything if it fits your hands you are good if not try a mark 1 instead but 1258 its so versatile and well made I won't buy any others in that size because I would not use the new one i would pick up the shorty because I trust it

Last edited:
Back