Recommendation? Karambit - 9cr18 or 440C ?

Hello, I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I posted in the wrong category, but I think this is it.

I have been searching for a decently small pocket knife that looks good and can be in handy sometimes.
I found a folding Karambit online and I think I'm gonna go with it.

The thing is that I don't know witch one of those two to chose :
a) 440C blade (2.9mm thickness), doesn't have a lock, weights 80g (15.5cm full length when open)
b) 9cr18 blade (2.8mm thickness), has a lock, weights 88g (14.5 full length when open)

The price is exactly the same for both.

I heard people that were comparing 440C and 9cr18 and said they are pretty similar and others that said 440C is way better.
What is your opinion, is there any real difference ?
I would like to go for the 9cr18 as it has a lock and it's a bit smaller, but only if there is not a big difference in the material.

If you are curious on how it looks :
Code:
https://imgur.com/a/GtgAAGX

Is that a Chinese clone of the CRKT Provoke?
Yes, yes it is.

Now, I've never understood why you'd ever want a karambit, but I'd put my money elsewhere.

Like an Ontario Rat 1 or 2. Cheap and good.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forums Purple.

As Rykjeklut mentioned, that is a clone of the Provoke. Most (if not all) of us at this forum don't endorse or support the buying of clones or counterfeits.

If you really, really want an inexpensive karambit, I'd go S&W or Schrade.

Depending on where you live and what your budget is, we can help with other suggestions too.

Kabar Doziers are $20 or a Swiss Army Knife.

Ok, thanks.
I would still like an opinion for the blade materials tho :)

Both steels might be adequate for regular use (cardboard, tape, string, etc...) if heat treated correctly, but don't expect to be impressed by the performance.

Ok, thanks.
I don’t think blade material for a karambit should matter as long as it’s heat treated to not be brittle and break easily. Ideally, you NEVER use a karambit because it’s for self defense. If you do ever have to, it will be sharp and get you out of whatever very unlikely you’ve gotten yourself into.

Last edited:
440C with a good heat treat can be a fantastic steel. I have customs in it. It can be harder to sharpen than some other steels.

But it is nothing to sneeze at.

Offering a alternative...The TOPS Quickie is 1095, usa made and has 2 usable edges like a karambit was originally designed. Around $70 but I’ll be getting one soon.

a) 440C blade (2.9mm thickness), doesn't have a lock, weights 80g (15.5cm full length when open)
b) 9cr18 blade (2.8mm thickness), has a lock, weights 88g (14.5 full length when open)

I heard people that were comparing 440C and 9cr18 and said they are pretty similar and others that said 440C is way better.

Ok, thanks.

If you test them under controlled conditions, and if they are both tempered to approximately the same hardness, 440C will hold an edge a bit longer in abrasive cutting tests.

In everyday usage, you won't notice any difference, even on a knife you use day-in and day-out.
For a knife that is specifically designed purely as a weapon, it's a non-issue.

I'd look at the other comments here about the lack of lock on one of the knives. That's going to be a much more significant issue.

Hello, I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I posted in the wrong category, but I think this is it.

I have been searching for a decently small pocket knife that looks good and can be in handy sometimes.
I found a folding Karambit online and I think I'm gonna go with it.

The price is exactly the same for both.

I would like to go for the 9cr18 as it has a lock and it's a bit smaller, but only if there is not a big difference in the material.

If you are curious on how it looks :
Code:
https://imgur.com/a/GtgAAGX
:) I'm gonna assume that you know absolutely nothing about and have zero training / practice using a karambit , otherwise you not even be considering one with no lock ?!? :eek:

I strongly advise you NOT to carry a weapon of which you have no knowledge or skills . Educate yourself first ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:) I'm gonna assume that you know absolutely nothing about and have zero training / practice using a karambit , otherwise you not even be considering one with no lock ?!? :eek:

I strongly advise you NOT to carry a weapon of which you have no knowledge or skills . Educate yourself first ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Actually, the CRKT Provoke does have a lock mechanism. I don’t know about this clone, though it does look like it copies the lock too

Since you are looking at a clone in the first place, the steel claim may just be made up. For all we know, it's unhardened 3cr. So, which is better from known sources? Always a fun academic discussion. But between two clones? Flip a coin.

Actually, the CRKT Provoke does have a lock mechanism. I don’t know about this clone, though it does look like it copies the lock too
:) Yeah . I was just going by what OP said . Never could link to his pics .

But , still ...for a weapon application karambit , I'd strongly recommend either a fixed blade or a folder with the absolute strongest lock available .

Since you are looking at a clone in the first place, the steel claim may just be made up. For all we know, it's unhardened 3cr. So, which is better from known sources? Always a fun academic discussion. But between two clones? Flip a coin.

This. Its highly suspect that a clone like this would have a choice of steels. Like the many unnamed chinese knives out there that claim to be sold with a choice of steels like 9cr, d2, s35vn, m390, they are probably all 9cr

Back