1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kershaw knockout M390 thoughts

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Guitarly, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Guitarly

Guitarly

Sep 25, 2017
    I just came back from a few days on the road to find that the USA made blade Knockout in M390 I ordered arrived. Of course I took it out right away and went to fondling it. It’s a nice knife, but I was surprised at how dull it came... the grind is good, nice and even, but it’s one of the duller knives I’ve ever purchased new. All of the less expensive kershaw I’ve purchased have been razor sharp. Anybody else buy one of these? How sharp was yours out of the box?

NG VI likes this.
  2. nick_30

nick_30

Aug 21, 2011
    I will know Saturday;)

Guitarly likes this.
  3. nick_30

nick_30

Aug 21, 2011
    Got the backwash for 95.00, couldn't pass it up for that price. I imagine these will be worth quite a bit a while from now at only a 1000 pieces.

4. SeppukuSamurai

SeppukuSamurai Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 19, 2014
    I have carried a single Kershaw. A S30V blur. I liked it. Not enough to keep it, but, I liked it.

I love M390. It's a great steel.

I am almost certain you will enjoy your knife. Don't overthink it. You can ALWAYS sharpen them.

In fact, I find that sharpening your blade is a bonding experience....I am corny.

5. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    That's weird, every Kershaw I've ever gotten has been very sharp.

6. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I never received any KAI that wasn't very sharp . Maybe you got a KnockOff ? :confused:

Seriously , return it unless you got a great deal .

7. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary

Jan 12, 2013
    Sounds like you got a lemon. I’d just return it and ask for a replacement. One of the reasons to opt for a premium steel is to enjoy the wear resistance upgrade, which is notably sullied if you need to sharpen it immediately anyway.

mycough and W. Anderson like this.
  8. Guitarly

Guitarly

Sep 25, 2017
    Yeah, I think I’m leaning toward a replacement. Sometimes you just get the bad one.

NG VI, W. Anderson and DocJD like this.
  9. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I've had a few Kershaw knives that arrived dull by my standards but still usable. First thing I do with virtually every knife is sharpen it, though, so factory edge doesn't matter to me unless it's butchered.

As for opinions on the M390 Knockout, I love the feel of the Knockout platform and Kershaw is killing it with their M390 HT. My Link is fantastic, if it wasn't assisted I'd have already bought custom scales and kicked most other knives out of my pocket.

NG VI likes this.
  10. whitty

whitty Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Aug 25, 2005
    The knockout in M390 is our first ever big production exclusive. We are a small shop and do everything we can to check out every knife that we ship out. While I have personally checked a ton of these, I will tell you there has been no way to check them all with the increased volume of shipping we are doing. I apologize that you got a dull lemon. Please email me and we will make it 100% right. If you are who I think you are then you have already emailed me.

If anyone else has a problem with theirs please let me know via email at [email protected]. I promise we will take very good care of you!

dman62, kbirk2003, flash900 and 31 others like this.
  11. SeppukuSamurai

SeppukuSamurai Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Way to go, Whitty.

marrenmiller likes this.
  12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    This is what CS should always be like but very rarely is !

marrenmiller and W. Anderson like this.
  13. Guitarly

Guitarly

Sep 25, 2017
    You guys sure make it easy to spend money on knives! I appreciate your quick response, Scott.

14. nick_30

nick_30

Aug 21, 2011
    Well I got her in, man is she sweet. Blade sharpness was not bad, for a factory grind that is.
    [​IMG]

Popsickle likes this.
  15. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I really like the Knockout design. The tall blade and belly make it a great slicer and camp knife.

I’m budgeting to get one of these while they are still available, and can’t wait to use it!

16. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    If I got one dull I'd strop it or touch it up and see how the edge responds.

This knife is a great tool but I'm not a fan of speed safe. It's 2018 and all. Hopefully they can bring bearings to the USA lineup instead. But yea, KAI doesn't care about enthusiasts since speedsafe sells so well so not gonna hold my breath. My most affordable m390 knife currently is the real Steel Megalodon 2017 and 2018 versions for around 150 each. I think it's worth the extra cost for what I received.

But it's great that Kershaw has brought m390 to the market for the lowest prices I've ever seen for m390. It wasn't too long ago that the trend happened with s35vn in less costly knives and s30v before that.

Generally I'm after more than just the steel type. But this is great for the market as a whole. I have heard that the knockout is one of Kershaws better knives in the lineup and have had many people tell me I should get one.

17. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    Moderator please close this post before I lose 100.00......

kbirk2003, 19-3ben, Tankboyt and 2 others like this.
  18. nick_30

nick_30

Aug 21, 2011
    Here...let me help ya
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    :D:D:D

BITEME and Schwifty like this.
  19. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Yikes! You sound a bit salty,... Check out the Natrix line if you haven't already... Kershaw is doing exactly what you’re taking about by retroactively getting rid of the Speedsafe and moving to a KVT bearing. The Natrix Bareknuckle is even made in the US.

To get back in topic... I’m having a really hard time not ordering this Knockout! I don’t usually like knives with blades this long, but the very limited amount made and the rugged good looks is really tempting me (to say nothing of the m390). If it didn’t have the thumbstud I’d be ALL over it.

20. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Well you just found out you purchased from one of the best dealers and people that you possibly could have ... :thumbsup: to Whitty again.

I don't have the new M390 but my Olive Knockout came with a great edge as have the few Kershaws I've owned.

this is how customer service should be and is by most all of the forum supporting dealers ... but Whitty's one of the best.

grownstar likes this.