Kershaw upping their game?

CF7F83D8-212A-4417-AD79-19BFEACE7145.jpeg I was browsing the BladeHQ new releases and saw Kershaw is releasing the CQC 4KXL with D2 steel. I’ve been a fan of some of their recent models but always wished they were a step above 8Cr13MoV.

I’m not a big steel nerd or expert sharpener, I just like trying stuff out on my Sharpmaker and have had luck with D2.

Hopefully they continue with using it in other models.

View attachment 1195433 I was browsing the BladeHQ new releases and saw Kershaw is releasing the CQC 4KXL with D2 steel. I’ve been a fan of some of their recent models but always wished they were a step above 8Cr13MoV.

I’m not a big steel nerd or expert sharpener, I just like trying stuff out on my Sharpmaker and have had luck with D2.

Hopefully they continue with using it in other models.

Hopefully it isn’t jacked up like so much other d2 out if china. If they got the heat treat right though this could be a badass knife.

These knives were fine in 8cr13mov for my use anyway. I really don’t find 8cr THAT bad especially if they got the heat treat right. I guess if you’re going to use this as a work knife d2 will be nice to have though.

:) Somewhere there's an old thread about a member here , breaking the blade of the regular old version . He used the knife to pry and it broke at the area of the thumb plate screw . The screw hole was obviously drilled too deep and maybe off center . I don't remember exactly .

I have one of these and like the design . But the quality of steel HT is an unknown . :confused:

:) Somewhere there's an old thread about a member here , breaking the blade of the regular old version . He used the knife to pry and it broke at the area of the thumb plate screw . The screw hole was obviously drilled too deep and maybe off center . I don't remember exactly .

I have one of these and like the design . But the quality of steel HT is an unknown . :confused:

My friend broke his kershaw cqc6k I gave him in the exact same place. These knives seem to be weak laterally from the thumbdisk hole being drilled.

Never seen a real Emerson break from prying though. Infact they almost seem like they are begging to pry.

What you want is the Emerson/Protech Colab.
Awesome knife! I put mine through hell and still operates as intended :thumbsup:

Cqc7 is just such a good edc platform/work knife. Honestly I know this is mad personal bias but I just love everything about the design...except it is abit thick.

Is the protech emerson thinner than the regular linerlock emerson cqc7s? I won’t get one anyway because it is an auto so I’m just curious.

I resisted the earlier offerings of the Emerson/Kershaws. But this one ... me likey.

I will wait until I hear some reports on their D2.

I've always shied away from uncoated D2 because of the humidity and rain here, but this is such an appealing price that I might have to give it a shot.

Though it'd be awesome if they came out with a coated version! :)

I've always shied away from uncoated D2 because of the humidity and rain here, but this is such an appealing price that I might have to give it a shot.

Though it'd be awesome if they came out with a coated version! :)
My thoughts exactly. Had a CQC7K and it was a great beater. D2 is fine, but semi-stainlessness is better. For my uses of it anyway.

I felt the same way about D2. It isn't known for its corrosion resistance. I took the plunge on a folder in satin D2 over a year ago for similar reasons. I just treat it like any other knife I carry. I clean it when it gets dirty. I wipe the blade down with a light coat of mineral oil after cleaning.

I've never seen corrosion on my D2 blade. I've carried it in hot, humid, sweat-inducing weather. I've taken it lakeside camping where the nights and mornings are foggy. It's been fine. In similar circumstances, I have seen rust spots develop on carbon steel, mystery steel, and bead-blasted 8Cr13Mov. It's possible that I've gotten more diligent with maintenance but seriously, I only do a clean-and-wipe when my knife looks dirty.

I still prefer a more stainless steel "just in case", but my concerns about D2 "rusting if you look at it funny" have waned a bit.

Cqc7 is just such a good edc platform/work knife. Honestly I know this is mad personal bias but I just love everything about the design...except it is abit thick.

Is the protech emerson thinner than the regular linerlock emerson cqc7s? I won’t get one anyway because it is an auto so I’m just curious.

It's been a few years since I've had or handled either, but I do recall the Protech being slightly thinner and liking that.

If its a BHQ exclusive, lets hope its better quality than the Skyline XL and some of their other budget exclusives.

My friend broke his kershaw cqc6k I gave him in the exact same place. These knives seem to be weak laterally from the thumbdisk hole being drilled.

Never seen a real Emerson break from prying though. Infact they almost seem like they are begging to pry.

I actually broke one of these in the exact same spot... My fault for prying but I was definitely surprised it broke.

I actually broke one of these in the exact same spot... My fault for prying but I was definitely surprised it broke.

So that’s 3 Kemersons that snapped their blades at the same spot, the thumb disk hole.

These Kemersons are starting to look like pretty shakey dogs.

I just noticed they also list a D2 version of the CQC-11K, the 3.5" upswept skinner.

So that’s 3 Kemersons that snapped their blades at the same spot, the thumb disk hole.

These Kemersons are starting to look like pretty shakey dogs.

It’s “Kershemersons”, and they are not dogs at all. They are a cheap way to get Emerson designs into the hands of folks who don’t want to pay Emerson prices.

Out of the three mentions in this thread of a breakage, not one of them stated “my knife broke while I was cutting something with it”.

Seems to me that people were doing dumbassed things with them instead of using them as knives. Yet you want to call them “shakey dogs”? o_O

Also, D2 IS semi-stainless. All of you out there thinking it will rust to shambles if you breathe on it are sorely mistaken. In my experience, it’s been difficult to get it to patina on purpose. Even heavily used D2 blades usually just turn a bit grey.

I personally will not purchase and more of the Kershaw emerson because they have wonky pivots that cause blade centered issue on occasions.Like on my 4KXL

Back