1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

King Tut: Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh a special dagger.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by snapshot2017, Jul 17, 2018.

1. snapshot2017

snapshot2017

Jan 28, 2017
    I was watching a story on T.V. about them finding inside the tomb where the boy King Tut was buried.
    A dagger with a steel blade what made this so special about this dagger in at the time King Tut lived in Egypt there was no iron, so where did the iron come from to make this special dagger.

Tests that were preformed on the daggers blade showed it was an alloy, but back then there was no alloying of iron being done in Egypt .

So where did they get this metal for this very special dagger, testing showed it came from outer space in a shower of metal from a meteor and was found and melted into a block of steel to be used for the young kings special dagger to be used in his after life.

This is just what the video said so don't start jumping on me in regards to fact or fiction.

2. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Yes, a good TV show,but the info about the meteoric dagger is old news (read about it in one of my journals a few years back).
    Still great dagger, too bad they didn't also show the one with the gold blade.
    Rich

3. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Yes if I remember he had two daggers that were a set made. One was made from the meteoric iron and the other one was made from gold.

The funny thing is back then the iron onenwas probably considered far more valuable since there was no iron available.

This is sort of like when metallic aluminum was first manufactured and cost more than gold. The story goes that the king of france would give his guests gold plates and utensils to eat off of except for his preferred guests who got the aluminum.

DocJD likes this.
  4. EricV

EricV

Nov 19, 2008
    Added irony is that if the smith heat treated the meteoric iron as they would have bronze they basically annealed it.

5. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

DocJD likes this.
  6. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Use of meteorite iron/steel was not new in Ancient Egypt. The Freer Gallery of the Smithsonian has several knives made in this manner that pre-date King Tut in the collection.

7. snapshot2017

snapshot2017

Jan 28, 2017
    Really happy with the many good replies, gave me a lot of information i had never read before.

Nixelplix likes this.
  8. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    You want more to read? Google Buster Warenski King Tut Dagger.

WValtakis likes this.
  9. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008