Kitchen Knife Set

So,
Just bought a house a few months ago and my kitchen knife situation has quickly gotten critical. I need a set of good kitchen knives preferably with a nice storage block and don't really know where to start. I don't want to break the bank here and splurge on a 1k set of knives but I also know that good quality equals a higher price. Point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

If you like Euro German cutlery look up Wusthof Classic or there Icon, some with some more modern handles,, If you wan to go Japanese look for Tahamagane Pro line ... these are both excellent lines of knives without going into Damascus Steel which looks pretty but doesn’t make the knives cut any better!!

I don't recommend a set - they contain a lot of knives you might not use in a size & profile that might not be for you. While a forum specific to kitchen knives or Japanese knives might be better:
1 Think about what knives you really use - or would use if they were quality.
2 Be realistic about how you treat your knives
3 especially with the main or Chef's knife, how do you use it.

The usual recommended basic set is a Chef's knife, paring or petty knife, & bread knife. This doesn't make sense for everybody. If you do roasts, a slicing knife is good to have. If you don't buy/make hard, crusty breads, do you really need a bread knife? Etc. Spend more on your primary knives, economize on less frequently used or less important knives. For most people, somewhere around 75-80% of a knife budget should be in the main knife - Chef's/santoku/gyuto/Chinese Vegetable cleaver. Go cheap with the paring knife - even (or especially) many pros do this.
Japanese knives are great if you don't treat your knives like cleavers. Carbon steel, clad or not, isn't for those who let their knives sit around wet. Treat your knives well and a gyuto will give you more control and precise cuts with a great edge.
Just because it is a Chef's knife or gyuto doesn't mean it works well for everybody. There are different profiles and grinds. Rock choppers like different profiles than push cutters/choppers. Choose accordingly.

Good quality usually means you get your moneys' worth.
Two companies that deliver IMHO are:
Rada Cutlery American made, Stainless steel, moderately priced, easy to maintain.
Victorinox Swiss made, Stainless steel, mid price range, easy to maintain.
Unless you are in a commercial kitchen either of these will handle home food prep & cutting fine.
Get a good quality wood cutting board & your edges will last longer. Plastic dulls knives & glass or tile is even worse.
Also wash & dry by hand, no dishwasher.

So,
Just bought a house a few months ago and my kitchen knife situation has quickly gotten critical. I need a set of good kitchen knives preferably with a nice storage block and don't really know where to start. I don't want to break the bank here and splurge on a 1k set of knives but I also know that good quality equals a higher price. Point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Wooden knife blocks are illegal in restaurants in most states. You can't keep the insides clean. They grow germs and eventually attract roaches. Keep your knives on one of those magnetic holders that mount on the wall (with the handles facing down). You don't want to have a knife coming off the magnetic strip with the blades pointing downward. Also most knife sets have blades that you will never use. Just buy the knives you need and mount them on the wall above a counter. You'll be more satisfied, I think!

I'm a knife maker and I use a magnetic strip with 5 knives. Chef, slicer, utility (5"), bread, and paring. That's all I need or recommend. Of course, I'll sell you lots more if you insist !!
Tim

After trying all of them, I found the mag. strip to be the most convenient.
Tim

Back