1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Knife collectors and kitchen knives

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Pyaoliang, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Pyaoliang

Pyaoliang

Apr 24, 2011
    Just out of curiosity... But for those of us who are particular about the knives that go in to your pockets, are you as particular about what knives you use in the kitchen? I have thousands of dollars worth of knives in my collection, but my kitchen set is a $40 Ronco set. :barf: Is that blasphemous for a knife collector?

2. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    i own a pretty good selection of kitchen cutlery, prices ranging from a few dollars to a few hundred. i tend to buy knives based on function and/or to fill a particular roll.

pyaoliang, sounds like it's time for you to add to your kitchen cutlery collection ;)

p.s. i actually have my eye on a new chef's knife :D

3. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I have a full set of George Wostenholm (of Sheffield) kitchen knives, a Joseph Rodgers (of Sheffield) carving set that belonged to my grandmother (as well as her Rodgers steak and fish knives), and some other Sheffield-made knives. They've all had a lot of use!

4. mrdeus

mrdeus

Mar 6, 2012
    I don't have any kitchen knife set, but some low or medium priced knives I've accumulated over the years. I've kind of "rediscovered" my kitchen knives since I started getting into sharpening (not just honing). I don't think I'll get any higher end kitchen knives before I'm confident that I can sharpen it easily and nicely freehand or until I feel that the ones I have aren't enough.

5. jstrykr74

jstrykr74

Mar 7, 2011
    Maybe I'm a little off, but I find it odd that a lot of people will spend more on one pocket knife than on a set of kitchen knives. I actually use my kitchen knives A LOT, more than anything I carry in my pocket on any given day. I know some people use knives at work, but honestly, how many things does the average person cut in a day? To me the joy of owning a knife is in using it. I do like to cook and owning kitchen knives that I enjoy using makes prepping food much less of a chore.

6. Pyaoliang

Pyaoliang

Apr 24, 2011
    I think that this is what my post was getting at. I have a ton of pocket knives, but my kitchen knives suck! I grew up thinking Henckels and Cutco were good... I wouldn't mind getting a Shun set.

7. bluntcut

bluntcut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2012
    Start the kitchen knife discovery journey with just 1 good kitchen knife, get more once you figure out a few more things about kitchen cutlery. High end Shun knives in SG2 are quite nice but there are better choices for your money. Going from pocket to kitchen - an Ultimatum M390 would be a great transition. Oh hey, I want one too.

8. Bernoulli

Bernoulli

Jun 15, 2007
    To me, a knife is a knife. I have no new knives in mind because I'm primarily a user and am as happy with my kitchen knives as with my EDCs, hunting, fishing and camping knives. My kitchen knives range from cheap to very expensive. Anymore, I almost never buy a knife just to be a proud owner.

9. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    When I use knives, I use good ones, it doesn't matter where I am using them.

10. olpappy

olpappy

Dec 6, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  11. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    i actually have my eye on an artifex right now.

12. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    Sadly my wife neither appreciates a good knife or a sharp knife. What she does like is cleanliness. So we have a glass cutting board. That's right...a knife nut with a glass cutting board. So I don't bother buying nice kitchen knives or even sharpening the ones I have. It's sad. Were I the one using them (if I were a bachelor or the cook in the family) you better believe that my kitchen knives would be as sharp and as well cared for as my other knives. But she's a great cook and feeds me way better than I could feed myself so dull knives in the kitchen it is.

13. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    why don't you just buy a proper cutting board? look into rubber cutting boards like sani-tuff, they don't absorb any liquids or odors. and if she's that worried about cleanliness, those boards are NSF, USDA and FDA certified.

14. MT Damascus

MT Damascus

Jan 14, 2011
    I use good knives in the kitchen also, missing is a Shun paring knife
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. jstrykr74

jstrykr74

Mar 7, 2011
    Absolutely stunning.

16. Burl Source

Burl Source

Dec 7, 2008
    I collect and use kitchen knives.
    This is what I have so far with a few more being made.
    [​IMG]

Left to Right
    1 - Yanagiba by Stacy Apelt
    2 - Ichimonji
    3 - Suji by Pierre Rodrigue
    4 - Gyuto by Mike Davis, Mike Henry handle
    5 - Petty by Mike Davis, Mike Henry handle

Before using good kitchen knives I had no idea what I was missing.
    When my wife asked about using them I told her you all have to do is aim them, the knife does the rest.

17. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    although not as beautiful as some of the knives already posted, i'll add a pic to the mix:

[​IMG]

18. Hard H2O

Hard H2O

Aug 10, 2007
    Your most used cutlery is in the kitchen.

I am a fan of moderately priced kitchen cutlery.

If you know how to sharpen the performance of your cutlery can be improved beyond the factory edge. That makes cheaper cutlery more viable for kitchen use.

I wish I had the budget for some higher end cutlery in the kitchen as well as my EDC and field knives. I guess I will have to hone what I have and keep dreaming.

19. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    i agree. being able to sharpen well, especially if you know a little about different steels and edge geometry can enable you to increase the performance of any knife.

think about it like this, cheaper knives need to be sharpened more often, that's a good way to practice sharpening.

very good, but moderately priced kitchen knives do exist.

20. Benuser

Benuser

Nov 19, 2010
    This is especially true if you're prepared to go for carbon steel kitchen knives. Performance wise, it's hard to beat carbons by Thiers-Issard, Robert Herder, Fujiwara, Hiromoto or Misono. Prices range for a chef knife $70-200.