Knife Comparable to Buck Hood Punk

Dear Forrum Members,

I have for the last 7 years carried a Buck Hood Punk knife as part of my every day carry. I however as of last week lost this knife at a job site and believe it to be burried under 8 inches of concrete. Subsequently reapropriating this knife is not an option.

I am looking to replace it with one of similar dimensions. It had a 5.5 inch full flat grind blade with the spine measuring at .2 inches thick with medium thick handles. It had perfect ballance and was for its size was lite and fast, and most importantly was strong.

The closest knife i could come to was the Ontario Ranger TFI, which i was told to have kindof thick handles and was heavier being it was 1/4" thickness.

Not going to lie, i prefer 5160 over 1095, but i am open to 1095. If you can think of a knife under 6 inches long that is about .2 inch thick full flat grind with good ballance and not too chunky handles im game. I dont want to pay over $100, but if the knife comes with a kydex sheath i am open to $140 tops. I like a blend of survival and tactical which is what i loved about the punk. I dont know why Buck would drop such a high value knife from thier production line, but they did so now i have to deal with it...

Thank you for any suggestions.

This is easily my favorite reasonably priced, medium fixed blade. Buck Vanguard. It has definitely withstood the test of time. I don't pry/chop with knives, and don't work construction, so I don't know if it will be strong enough for your needs.

th

I'm happy that you like your knife and i mean no disrespect to you or your choice of edc medium knife when i say i would be hesitant to cary that for what i use it for.

I cary mine for survival / shtf / and defense. I dont use it for such as the occasion has never arisen, but it makes me feel safer ( i do allot of work in baltimore city ). Thats why i liked the full tang in the handle with the scales on the side and the full flat grind. I like to cary more than ill ever need, but like to go under a quarter inch so i can be fast with it. Again thank you though for the recomendation, it looks nice, its just not my cup of tea.

Hi Fox, welcome to the forums.

I did a quick search and didn't find too many options. I think you might have to lose the flat grind.

A few to check out...

Steel Will Roamer. 5.5" of D2 and .16 thick. Hollow grind tho.
Cold Steel SRK. 6" of SK5 steel at .20 thick. Decent sheath. It says flat but not a true flat grind.
Ontario Bushcraft. 5160 but just over 5" and thinner at .12 .
Kabar and Becker have many offerings at 1095.

Check out the For Sale section. Many new and lnib knives at discount prices.

If you are willing to sacrifice a little length, I love my Gerber Strongarm. About $70 (they were $50 for the longest time). 4.8" blade, good sheath for the $, and pretty darn good knife for the money. It is my main hiking knife now. One of the few recent Gerber items I'd recommend.

Tops brakimo might work. I love mine. Esee cm6 might be a tiny bit long but should also fit that role well. I work in an industrial environment and have become very fond of the RMJ UCAP. Its shorter and thinner that the punk but the way they do the 52100 is incredible and the sheath is excellent.

Not a full flat grind but the Cold Steel medium Warkraft Tanto is hell for stout with full tang under comfortable scales at 5.5". It will do whatever needs to be done should the occasion arise!

I'm happy that you like your knife and i mean no disrespect to you or your choice of edc medium knife when i say i would be hesitant to cary that for what i use it for.

I cary mine for survival / shtf / and defense. I dont use it for such as the occasion has never arisen, but it makes me feel safer ( i do allot of work in baltimore city ). Thats why i liked the full tang in the handle with the scales on the side and the full flat grind. I like to cary more than ill ever need, but like to go under a quarter inch so i can be fast with it. Again thank you though for the recomendation, it looks nice, its just not my cup of tea.

If it’s for shtf I’d like to suggest something a little different, a knife that does more than one thing. Specially a Breacher knife, doubles as a pry bar for getting through doors.
Dead Moose Ops makes a couple sizes, they are priced a little over your price point but perhaps another company makes a reasonably good one. I’m saving up for one, I got a Boker Breacher to see if I liked the size. It’s not a light knife but I wanted it for no spin throwing and as part of a bugout bag

Back