Knife experts! Advice needed!

I need some knife advice. Please help me find my future edc. Below is my knife story to try and show the path I've followed to get here.

I use to be a flashlight collector, but I hit a point where the cost didn't justify my interest. After all, those batteries alone could have bought many different things. I decided to look at knifes, and immediately became interested in them. They all look, cut, and feel different. It's really a cool experience just marveling at one.

My first knife was an Ontario Utilitac. It was an interesting knife. The handle had hotspots everywhere, and the g10 seemed more like plastic. The blade was very nice, but got dull extremely quickly. I found it to slice poorly because of the fat blade. It also seemed too tactical/beefy for my taste. The liner lock also frustrated me because it almost took my finger off.

Then I retired my ontario, and purchased a benchmade 940 osborne. I have the knife to this day, and love playing with it for hours. I got the split arrow clip, and love the whole look of it. The only problem was that it costed a ton of money. I can't get over the price when I start using it for anything other than boxes, food, or packages. Im too concerned it will break, or I will damage it. (I know, crazy right!)

I did some research and was interested in spyderco. I figured that I wanted a tough knife because then I wouldn't worry about it breaking. I heard a lot about the paramilitary 2, and jumped on it when amazon was selling it for cheap. I picked up an all black paramilitary for 100 dollars straight from/ sold by amazon. The knife is tough as nails, and the compression lock is perfect. I got lucky with mine because it is perfectly centered, and frictionless when I pull back the compression lock. I tried carrying this around, but it just seemed too big. It took up a lot of room, and turned out to be intimidating to others. This brings me to now.

I want a knife between spyderco and benchmade. I want it to be a little smaller than the 940 and PM2, but it doesn't need to be tiny. I would like it to be strong enough, but it doesn't need to be as strong as the PM2. It basically needs to be an edc which is smaller, and less beefy. I looked at the spyderco dragonfly because it seemed like a good middle ground, but i'd like your opinion.

I'm just trying to seek out that middle ground between portability, elegance, and price. I'm sure there's one out there, I just need a couple pointers.

Benchmade Griptilian. The mini or full-size, whichever you'd prefer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say the Zero Tolerance 450. Great smaller titanium frame lock with S35VN blade. Quick flipper and pretty tough for a small(ish) knife.

Last edited:
No doubt you will get some perfectly sane and practical suggestions . . . ones that will beat carrying a 940 . . . yah like THAT'S going to happen . . .

I would like to balance all that out with another suggestion. I am being totally serious though it may appear I am kidding. I do carry this (these) and find it one of my ALL TIME favorite knives to actually use. It is BRILLIANT. Only draw back is the steel isn't spectacular but if you are a daily stropper it is totally business like steel. It is not your cheep department store knife even though the price might suggest that it is no better than. With out further a due :

And you can read more here.
You won't be afraid to break it in use at least. (carry a pry bar for . . . well . . . prying on stuff).

PS: I carry the sheath in my pocket mostly but it does see some belt time.

I like the ZT0450 recommendation. I would also suggest a Benchmade Mini Barrage.

Given your preferences, the 0450 is a great suggestion.

Don't worry about breaking any of these quality knives. It probably won't ever happen, but if it does BM and Spyderco have great customer support people.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have a PM2 and a couple 94x's. I have to say, that that the 94x's spoiled me with their light weight; 940-2 2.65 oz, 940 2.9 oz). Are you looking for something smaller but heavier? Are you looking for a slicer or something with a little more blade heft? What type of lock are you looking for?

I tried the mini-Grip in store, and the handle was just a little too short for my liking. I purchased a used mini Bone Collector because the grip was just enough larger than the mini-Grip to feel right in my hands. The equivalent size is the Presidio (I think they have the same handle). However it is heavier (almost as heavy as my PM2) and has a thicker handle (if that's an issue). Similar sized knives include my CS mini Recon (3.6 oz) and my Ontario Rat 2 (2.75 oz), and my ESEE Zancudo (3.1 oz) although they feel like three completely different knives in hand. I wear a large size glove, but my fingers are slender.

Some knives on my wishlist which might also fit your role:

1. Spyderco Sage 5 with compression lock
2. Kershaw Skyline
3. Kershaw Skyline S30v + CF

Personally, I'm currently EDC'ing the the 940-2 with the 943's blade swapped. If I were to lose it, I would use the ESEE Zancudo in it's place until I found a replacement. I am curious about getting a Sage 5 as a possible EDC replacement though. I like the compression lock and thumbhole for use with gloves in cold weather.

I'm amazed it hasn't already been mentioned; I've carried a Spyderco Delica almost exclusively for the last month or so.

If you thought the PM2 was too big and are afraid of using the 940 because of the pricetag, the Delica would be my choice. Great size, plenty tough and is priced to be used.

You can even dress it up a bit with some aftermarket scales should you desire to. I have a set of Boomer's scales ordered, but quite like the stock FRN as well.

20160717_143012_zpsfhtr8ril.jpg

I would say;
- mini griptilian, best value for the price
- spyderco Sage series, for the clean look
- kershaw skyline, CQC, ..., for the price

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

In my opinion for smaller EDC's my fav are the 940/943, ZT450 and Mini Grip. Delica is perfect for utility too, i just don't care for the looks so it never gets in my pocket.

I would suggest going to a dedicated knife store, if you are near a big city, meet
the proprietor and tell him your story. Spend an hour and try as many knives by
different makers as you can. Buy what feels and looks good to you.

ZT450, ZT770CF, ZT808. Spyder's Chaparral, Sage, Positron, Delica, or Domino. Since you like the Benchmade 940, maybe the Mini Grip, or the HK Mini Axis. If you like flipping around your 940, you would love one of the newer Kizer's with ceramic bearings. I've got a Kizer IFT 3452 that is insanely smooth and a blast to play with. But also makes a great EDC, great material, thin, lightweight. They just keep coming out with home runs, and I think they are still a bargain price as they gain ground competing with the mid-priced big guys.

There's a few to look up. Most should be in the stated price range (street and/or sale prices).

Gratuitous Pics.....

Zt808, Ki3452, zt450

6xvqc6.jpg

2cngio3.jpg

Chaparral

10gie5k.jpg

Full size HK Axis. The mini is....well....smaller. [emoji2]

t7khug.jpg

Bunch-o-Spyders

531gyr.jpg

Bunch-o-ZT's

2wcmrya.jpg

Last edited:
I thought dragonfly right before I read that you thought of it haha get the dragonfly friend!

I'm amazed it hasn't already been mentioned; I've carried a Spyderco Delica almost exclusively for the last month or so.

If you thought the PM2 was too big and are afraid of using the 940 because of the pricetag, the Delica would be my choice. Great size, plenty tough and is priced to be used.

You can even dress it up a bit with some aftermarket scales should you desire to. I have a set of Boomer's scales ordered, but quite like the stock FRN as well.

20160717_143012_zpsfhtr8ril.jpg
This knife has interested me. It seems like it would be elegant enough with some g10, it's smaller than the paramilitary. How's the locking mechanism on the back? I have no experience with that.

ZT450, ZT770CF, ZT807. Spyder's Chaparral, Sage, Positron, Delica, or Domino. Since you like the Benchmade 940, maybe the Mini Grip, or the HK Mini Axis. If you like flipping around your 940, you would love one of the newer Kizer's with ceramic bearings. I've got a Kizer IFT 3452 that is insanely smooth and a blast to play with. But also makes a great EDC, great material, thin, lightweight. They just keep coming out with home runs, and I think they are still a bargain price as they gain ground competing with the mid-priced big guys.

There's a few to look up. Most should be in the stated price range (street and/or sale prices).

Gratuitous Pics.....

Zt808, Ki3452, zt450

6xvqc6.jpg

2cngio3.jpg

Chaparral

10gie5k.jpg

Full size HK Axis. The mini is....well....smaller. [emoji2]

t7khug.jpg

Bunch-o-Spyders

531gyr.jpg

Bunch-o-ZT's

2wcmrya.jpg

A lot of cool looking kizers- Do you know which ones have the bearings? I would go with one of the cheaper models, but it wasn't clear which ones have the bearings.

Out of the spyderco's- which one do you like for compact EDC use?

Love the pics! Thanks!

I have a PM2 and a couple 94x's. I have to say, that that the 94x's spoiled me with their light weight; 940-2 2.65 oz, 940 2.9 oz). Are you looking for something smaller but heavier? Are you looking for a slicer or something with a little more blade heft? What type of lock are you looking for?

I tried the mini-Grip in store, and the handle was just a little too short for my liking. I purchased a used mini Bone Collector because the grip was just enough larger than the mini-Grip to feel right in my hands. The equivalent size is the Presidio (I think they have the same handle). However it is heavier (almost as heavy as my PM2) and has a thicker handle (if that's an issue). Similar sized knives include my CS mini Recon (3.6 oz) and my Ontario Rat 2 (2.75 oz), and my ESEE Zancudo (3.1 oz) although they feel like three completely different knives in hand. I wear a large size glove, but my fingers are slender.

Some knives on my wishlist which might also fit your role:

1. Spyderco Sage 5 with compression lock
2. Kershaw Skyline
3. Kershaw Skyline S30v + CF

Personally, I'm currently EDC'ing the the 940-2 with the 943's blade swapped. If I were to lose it, I would use the ESEE Zancudo in it's place until I found a replacement. I am curious about getting a Sage 5 as a possible EDC replacement though. I like the compression lock and thumbhole for use with gloves in cold weather.

I'm looking for something with the cutting ability of the PM2, but smaller and less bulky. The mini-grip is a very chunky knife. I'd like a knife smaller than the 940/pm2 which isn't a chunky tactical monster. Just something which can handle all the daily cutting tasks. Sage 5 looks nice, but it's a thick knife, no?

Maybe the ZT 0770 CF may fit your needs. Elmax steel is very tough, very light-weight, and alltogether smaller then the PM2. It is assisted however.

The ZT450 is almost exactly what I had in mind (except price and frame lock). It doesn't need to be that elegant, but it sure is a beautiful knife

A lot of cool looking kizers- Do you know which ones have the bearings? I would go with one of the cheaper models, but it wasn't clear which ones have the bearings.

Out of the spyderco's- which one do you like for compact EDC use?

Love the pics! Thanks!

Go to the Kizer sub-forum, there are some of the newer models shown. All very high quality for the price. Don't quote me, but I think the titanium framelocks have bearing pivots. The budget priced g10 linerlocks use washers. But it may be worthwhile to do a little browsing at bladehq, knivesshipfree, and others. They have great search features, and details.

For a smaller Spyderco, I absolutely love the Chaparral. I don't have a Sage yet, but they are similar and slightly larger. They also have multiple versions with different locks. These two models are quite robust for great looking dressy knives. The FRN Dragonfly is wonderful also for a well made and super light (like you literally cannot detect the weight in pocket) knife. But I usually grab the Chap because it's a bit sturdier. As others have said, it's still hard to go wrong with the Delica. Again, I prefer the Chap over that also. Unless I will be using it in a rough and dirty environment.

The ZT770CF is also fantastic if you don't mind assisted. Really durable little knife for being just CF slab frame, with liner lock. It's light and looks great in any dress up or office environment.

Because I'm a bit of a blade phreak, I usually carry two or three knives at any one time. So I can pick and choose for use. I keep all of them razor sharp, and strop or touch up every evening if used. But still have a heavy do anything (currently zt456), smaller do most anything (Chaparral, Delica, Dragonfly), and a classy slip joint (currently a peanut sized GEC Beagle, also love last years forum knife, and a Northwoods Michigan Jack).

What about a Native? Somewhere in between yours and tough as nails! I use a LW for work and have had no problems.
Joe

Back