1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knife for Afghanistan

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Slayer_12114, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slayer_12114

Slayer_12114

Dec 3, 2018
    I'm currently awaiting deployment and looking for a fixed blade with a 6" to 8" blade. Not really worried about price as long as its under $650. I have my eye on a few Randalls, Fallknivens, Bark Rivers, and Busse knives. 100% open to suggestion. Just looking for a good hard use fighting/survival knife.

Charlie Mike likes this.
  2. Tamernator

Tamernator

Nov 1, 2018
    Why not Becker Ka-Bar ?

Gizler00 likes this.
  3. Slayer_12114

Slayer_12114

Dec 3, 2018
    I looked at the bk-7 for while and saw some rather impressive video reviews on it. The only thing i'm not a fan of is the finish

4. Jhansenak47

Jhansenak47

Nov 27, 2005
    I would focus on a PlayStation or Xbox. If you really want a knife I would buy a good multitool first. For a full size knife the old standby kabar works good enough. I have a TRC M-1 in Vanadis 4 Extra that I would probably take. Whatever you do decide on I would recommend keeping the bulk and weight at a minimum.

Yo Mama likes this.
  5. Tamernator

Tamernator

Nov 1, 2018
    I recommend you "Cold Steel Recon Scout" ,its very durable with well balanced overal steel O1, balanced stainlessnes, easines to sharpen ,toughness and edge retention.

But for fighting (Killing) "Cold Steel Recon Tanto" would be better due to its geometry less weight thus more slashing speed in fight but can be worse than Recon Scout in processing wood but wait...trees in Afganistan ? )))))

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2018
  6. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    Yes, yes, yes & yes. Anything nicer than the ol' Kabar & there's a good chance it'll wind up "missing".

Lapedog and W. Anderson like this.
  7. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    a few older threads on exactly this topic, but others here have already summarized it:

keep it on the lower price end, since there is a risk of theft & loss
    multitools are your friend ;)
    if you've already trained in actual knife combat, and want one of those, it's really hard to argue with a lower price fairbairns style kabar - the "Ek Model 4" - you should be able to get them near $100, and they'll sharpen up on river stones or ceramic mugs if needed
    [​IMG]

here are some threads:
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/best-knife-for-army-ranger.1619582/
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/question-for-military-or-ex-military-personnel-soldiers.1417429/

8. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    You will never regret buying a knife from the Busse family of knives. You can bet your life on them.

Yonose, Lapedog and Night Rider like this.
  9. Jcsixx01

Jcsixx01

Dec 3, 2018
    I have the Winkler spike and it is a fantastic blade. Not quite 6” though.

Winkler certainly will have something that fits your needs and they give great military discounts!

https://winklerknives.com/

Be safe.

Tommy-Chi and Slayer_12114 like this.
  10. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Daggers are useless. Kabar's suck. Don't take anything you expect to bring back cause the odds are it'll get stolen. Have fun.

11. Velitrius

Velitrius

Mar 3, 2000
    I'd wager it's more that you just suck at using 'em. ;)

Get something you won't mind carrying around, and something you think you'll actually use.

Get something that will sharpen up with little effort.

Get something you won't be all busted up about if it vanishes into thin air and you never see it again.

That's all I got for you. Probably not a lot of help.

Yo Mama, cbach8tw and Night Rider like this.
  12. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Winkler Knight Pathfinder would be my pick.

Tommy-Chi likes this.
  13. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee

May 6, 2018
    Ontario spec GenII SP43
    Blade Length: 7.9"
    Overrall Length: 12.9"
    Blade Material: 5160 High Carbon Steel.
    Blade Hardness: 53-55HRC.
    Handle Thickness: 0.19"
    Handle Material: Kraton.
    Weight: 10.6 oz
    [​IMG]

Ontario Next Gen SP1
    Overall Length: 14.5"
    Blade Length: 7"
    Blade Material: 1095 High Carbon Steel.
    Blade Hardness: 57-59HRC.
    Handle Thickness: 0.19"
    Weight: 10 oz
    [​IMG]

Ontario FF6
    Overall Length:13.125"
    Blade Length:8.00"
    Blade Thickness:0.19"
    Blade Material:1095.
    Blade Hardness: 57-59HRC.
    Weight: 13.5 oz
    [​IMG]

Inexpensive and tough.

The Whip likes this.
  14. Night Rider

Night Rider

Apr 16, 2018
    A Busse would be my choice but like others have mentioned it would probably/surely get ganked sad to say so you should try to keep the price down whatever you choose and Thank you for your service sir:thumbsup:

Slayer_12114 likes this.
  15. TheDandyLion

TheDandyLion

Mar 27, 2013
    Not a whole lot of knife fighting going on in Afghanistan, but if you want something for "general use" I think you'll get the most use out of a Leatherman. The "Wave", "Rebar", and "Supertool" are all worth a look. For heavier duty stuff I have found no better soldiers knife than the J-P Peltonen M95. Tough as nails, very well made, fairly light weight, and on Lamnia.com there are several sheath options. I have the M.07 (slightly smaller, but same basic design) model and use/carry it regularly and absolutely adore it.

I would avoid super high end stuff since it seems the nicer the knife the more likely it is to get stolen, lost, or damaged.

16. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Buck 110 LT.

Zieg

Reitwagen likes this.
  17. Slayer_12114

Slayer_12114

Dec 3, 2018
    it might help to include that as a scout sniper, i'll be using this fixed blade a lot for utility survival/field work. I really like the winkler knives you guys mentioned.

LostViking and Jcsixx01 like this.
  18. thebrain

thebrain Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2007
    A Busse family knife would be a great compromise ,Swamp Rat Ratmandu would be an excellent choice. Rubber handled knives give me pause for durability reasons in harsh environments; fuel,deet,heat and abuse can make them fail pretty easily. As a younger man I loved my Kabar but for the weight and ergonomics I would pick many other options.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  19. Wanimator

Wanimator

Mar 7, 2014
    Check out CMFTW knives. He's on this forum. I'd also suggest the Spyderco Street Bowie.

Mecha, Tommy-Chi and Charlie Mike like this.
  20. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Any one of these and a Leatherman.
    DB100FEC-87EE-4D2D-8650-4ACD247B391A.jpeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.