Knives at Disney in Florida Part 2

whitty

Dealer / Materials Provider
So last year about this time I posted up a thread about knives at Disney World in Florida. So my wife being a Disney nut wanted to go again this year. I have been working way to much and needing to spend some quality time with my kids, had no problem using some credit card points and getting away.

Well last year if you remember I took a ZT0900 to see if I could get in the park with it. To my surprise it was checked by security and handed back to me. This year I figured I would try again but instead took a couple of my Hinderer Half Tracks. It is roughly the same size as the ZT0900 (slightly smaller). Based on the crazy that has happened in the world over the past year I was completely expecting to be turned away, sent back to the hotel to store my knife. I even prepared my wife and kids for this to happen. Much to my surprise at the first check the Security Guard asked me to open the knife. He pulled out the same credit card sized measuring device as the previous year, compared it to the blade, put it back in the container and said "Have a fun day!"

We had the park hopper pass which meant we could go from Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Epcot and Magic Kingdom, as we pleased, any of the days we were there. I went through security around 10 times in 4 days and the results were almost always similar. A few did ask me to keep my knife in my pocket but I did get one security guy who looked at it and asked me if it was the new small Hinderer! When I said yes, he replied, "That is a cool knife."

In a Country that I feel is paranoid about everything, and with City's that have laws basically banning knives, it was a great relief to see such a reasonable approach to knives. Disney World as a private company does not have to allow us knife nuts to bring anything in to the park, so once again I was very impressed!

https://flic.kr/p/UkjYpt https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

https://flic.kr/p/UkjYn4 https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

What is the max blade length allowed? Three inches? I experienced the complete opposite a few weeks back in Anaheim: Downtown Disney + Manbug. Note that the same applies to the amusement park proper where security checkpoints are now stationed outside of the parking structures before tram transportation to the park :eek: .

Last edited:
you are a brave man. that place ain't cheap and too crowded. filled to the brim everyday with disney employees on their various days off. one of the few reasons folks work there, free entry.

im kinda surprised they let ya in with it. i hear various stories on what can get in and what cant. might depend on whos working. you got all the calm ones over those days.

universal you aint getting nothing in. had to give up a swiss army and put back in my truck. then again maybe i got the nasty fellow employee that day?

They should be more concerned with wild life that lives in their lakes and eats little children, than any of us carrying a pocket folder!
I bet father of that poor little boy that was eaten by gator wished he had carried anything that could have been used as tool ex: knife, gun, hummer, etc. to save his kid!
I wouldn't go anywhere with my kids un-armed, if I can avoid it and I knew there was possibility that something dangerous like wild life is there waiting in ambush!

PS I don't go into nature un-armed either, "un-armed fool goes into the forest for hike, shortly after only bear comes out of forest to poop the hiker out!"

They should be more concerned with wild life that lives in their lakes and eats little children, than any of us carrying a pocket folder!
I bet father of that poor little boy that was eaten by gator wished he had carried anything that could have been used as tool ex: knife, gun, hummer, etc. to save his kid!
I wouldn't go anywhere with my kids un-armed, if I can avoid it and I knew there was possibility that something dangerous like wild life is there waiting in ambush!

PS I don't go into nature un-armed either, "un-armed fool goes into the forest for hike, shortly after only bear comes out of forest to poop the hiker out!"

little know fact about that. tourists dont understand gators like us local who grew up with them do. many tourists had been feeding those gators and disney struggled to get folks to stop doing it. once a gator realizes people have food and wont harm them, their fear is gone.

they are typically and naturally very frightened and shy of humans. when i go into the swamps i know real quick which gators have been around folks being fed and which havent. the ones that havent.....once they see or hear you they flee and scury away. the ones that have been around folks and been fed stay still and watch you very closely. those are the ones i avoid. rut season is spring and through summer...basically the swimming season. have to be very wary in and around fresh water more than normal. they are extra aggressive and dangerous.

i see tourists and transplants feeding gators all the time round here. i try to educate them but it falls on deaf ears.

we have a northern big city felow who started feeding a larger gator canned crab meat daily in a feeder stream off a spring children swim in. so he got annoyed climbing back through the weeds to get to his new pet. so he started leading it up closer to the spring so it made feeding it easier. well he got bored and stopped doing it. the gator stayed in the spring where the kids swim. fwc had to remove it. fool man not only got a gator killed but almost got children harmed or killed. luckily most of the kids round here know better about gators.

long point of this story is.....people cause these problems from lack of knowledge. every tourist that fed gators at disney has that poor childs blood on their hands.

all that said yep im always armed oit in the wetlandsand jungles, but at disney i stay away from the water year round. those tourists have made all of those gators very very dangerous. maybe disney should force tourists to take a gator education class and test or carry a 10mm pistol before letting them come to the park amd get near the water?:)

Interesting... last year I had to return to my hotel with a Vic Cadet. This year I'm planning on going completely knife less for the first tune since I was about 12. My wife and mother in law have already told me that I better not even try. Apparently my father in law had to go back and leave his leatherman micra.

Much to my surprise at the first check the Security Guard asked me to open the knife. He pulled out the same credit card sized measuring device as the previous year, compared it to the blade, put it back in the container and said "Have a fun day!"
So blades have to be under 3"?

To be entirely fair , you must consider the terrible mass havoc and destruction that a multitool can wrought !:rolleyes:

When I went, I just took a Leatherman piranha with me. I never needed it, but it made me feel as if I weren't completely naked.

I'm a knife knut. Always have been, always will be. However, Disney makes going to and from the park so dang easy, I don't see much need for a knife beyond a bit of a totem we tend to enjoy having close at hand.

We're planning going back next year when my daughter is almost 8. I'll probably leave the pocket knife in the room. Maybe splurge and treat myself to a Leatherman Tread just because;)

Funny..I live in Volusia County and the wife and I went the same route you did. We purchased park hopper passes, started at Animal Kingdom and ended up drinking the night away at Epcot all while my 940-2 was by my side.

Ps..
I had to play the dumb card with my wife because she swore we wouldn't be able to get in so she wanted me to keep it in the car. I wish you guys could have seen the look on her face when I flicked my BM open and handed it to the security check guard lol. :D

little know fact about that. tourists dont understand gators like us local who grew up with them do. many tourists had been feeding those gators and disney struggled to get folks to stop doing it. once a gator realizes people have food and wont harm them, their fear is gone.

they are typically and naturally very frightened and shy of humans. when i go into the swamps i know real quick which gators have been around folks being fed and which havent. the ones that havent.....once they see or hear you they flee and scury away. the ones that have been around folks and been fed stay still and watch you very closely. those are the ones i avoid. rut season is spring and through summer...basically the swimming season. have to be very wary in and around fresh water more than normal. they are extra aggressive and dangerous.

i see tourists and transplants feeding gators all the time round here. i try to educate them but it falls on deaf ears.

we have a northern big city felow who started feeding a larger gator canned crab meat daily in a feeder stream off a spring children swim in. so he got annoyed climbing back through the weeds to get to his new pet. so he started leading it up closer to the spring so it made feeding it easier. well he got bored and stopped doing it. the gator stayed in the spring where the kids swim. fwc had to remove it. fool man not only got a gator killed but almost got children harmed or killed. luckily most of the kids round here know better about gators.

long point of this story is.....people cause these problems from lack of knowledge. every tourist that fed gators at disney has that poor childs blood on their hands.

all that said yep im always armed oit in the wetlandsand jungles, but at disney i stay away from the water year round. those tourists have made all of those gators very very dangerous. maybe disney should force tourists to take a gator education class and test or carry a 10mm pistol before letting them come to the park amd get near the water?:)

Does Disney have lifeguards watching over water when tourists/visitors are in there? Are there now any armed with rifles trained gator hunters, who make sure it safe for visitors? Cause, if after that horrible accident they still don't have full time armed security that is keeping park safe from wild life or terrorists than park is being highly irresponsible and negligent.

Personally I'm very un-happy about being un-armed and defenseless, but I can tolerate it if I know there are armed security around, somebody armed and trained better than everybody defenseless.

PS My relatives when first retired to Florida had 2 old slow Dauechuond "Winnie hot" dogs, both got eaten by gators soon after. It just came out of pond behind their house grabbed them in one bite! Another time I was visiting them and we seen wild life officers catch and pull out another live gaiter out of the same man made pond, until that point I didn't realize how unsafe it was, because it was man made not wild!

Looking at the Talonz-1 (pictured below @ 5.25" overall) and Talonz-2 and Boker Plus Cera-Neck (4.3" overall) ceramic neck knives. Talonz-1 (manufactured in China by URI Eagle) would be my preference, though I wish they had used black versus white ceramic. Replace the ball chain on the sheath with paracord and walk right through those pesky checkpoints. The Cera-Neck is widely available and relatively inexpensive. May go for that one first.
talon-1.png
There is also the Kyocera line of ceramic kitchen knives of which the three-inch blade of the FK-075 BK is probably best suited as a necker. Perhaps replace the handle with something thinner...

FK-075 BK.jpg

Last edited:
Cool beans Whitty! I wish I could say the same for Universal Studios.

I carried an opinel 6 in universal Florida last October. I might have snuck it in though, can't remember.

If I do remember correctly though I think they had metal detectors inside the park in front of a few of the bigger rides. But they had free storage lockers right next to them.

I tried to explain much the same thing both at work and on the internet when that happened but no one wanted to listen.

Back