Knives eating jeans

shinyedges

Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will
Gold Member
Platinum Member
I had my wife cut an older pair of jeans up and sew on a piece to all my jeans pockets. Even the newer ones.

I'm happy with how it turned out. As a plus it isn't to thick for one handed reinsert in to the pocket. It wraps around the pocket lip too, so a little extra protection for waving as well.

Last edited:
I only use a clip on larger knives, like when I am doing yard work. I carry smaller ones in the pocket, and usually remove the clip. I find that some G10 has a very rough, abrasive texture and wears holes in my pockets. I actually now prefer CF or FRN handles.

Where do you guys meet ladies that can sew and cook ;)

For those that can sew it would seem a bit of leather sewed over the pocket woul be the perfect solution
I met mine in high school :cool:

I think leather would be ideal, the only draw back I see for leather is it stands out from the jeans. Although a black dyed leather may be attractive. I may have to give that a shot.

OP, what are the approx dimensions of the piece of denim that she sewed into your pocket? In other words, I assume it goes clear to the bottom of the pocket?

Thankfully my 5.11 work pants have extra fabric sewn in the same spot which works great for clipping a knife and a flashlight. But another thing you can do to help with potential wear from pocket clip is to adjust the tension level on the clip. The easiest way I’ve found is if I get a knife with a tight clip I clip it to an almost used up roll of duct tape. Leave it on for awhile and check it periodically. Sometimes it only takes a few hours but sometimes it takes longer. Two days is the most I’ve had to leave it on to get the clip to my sweet spot of not too tight but not too loose.

OP, what are the approx dimensions of the piece of denim that she sewed into your pocket? In other words, I assume it goes clear to the bottom of the pocket?
It just goes over the lip, basically what you see on the outside is on the inside. Why would you need it to go all the way down?

Nice! I actually switched to Duluth Firehose Pants and that seems to have solved the problem. They're more expensive, but super durable.
Been meaning to try a pair of those!

Thankfully my 5.11 work pants have extra fabric sewn in the same spot which works great for clipping a knife and a flashlight. But another thing you can do to help with potential wear from pocket clip is to adjust the tension level on the clip. The easiest way I’ve found is if I get a knife with a tight clip I clip it to an almost used up roll of duct tape. Leave it on for awhile and check it periodically. Sometimes it only takes a few hours but sometimes it takes longer. Two days is the most I’ve had to leave it on to get the clip to my sweet spot of not too tight but not too loose.
I LOVE my 5.11 pants, my only beef with them is they stand out more than blue jeans. I once had a guy ask if I was security while standing in a hotel LOL

Here's what Wrangler does with their Riggs workwear work horse line. You can find them for around $20. at Gemplers.
3W001VI_hr_4.jpg

Back