Knives with pocket clips...front or back pocket carry?

One has to be careful if carrying in back pocket. I leaned the hared way. I'll try to post a link.
Riding my bike home tonight I had a Buck 112 slim Pro in my back strong side.
Depending on the knife it makes it's self known if in the front pocket while riding and that's irritating.
If I'm just walking around or working it's in my front pocket.

The pocket clips tend to get snagged and bent on things when carried in the back pocket. That has been my experience.

Always carried clipped to right rear pocket. Never had an issue in almost 30 years. No undue wear on my pants furniture, or car seats. Never had a knife fall or pull out, and only once bent a clip.

I switched to a deep carry pocket clip , before I change any clip I rub the inside of the clip to smooth out any rough edges with 0000 steel wool , makes a smoother carry. Front right pocket tip up , for me it's more comfortable with the blade facing out .

Front right pocket is occupied.
Back pocket for me. Wearing 5.11 cargos the pockets are very close to each other so it's in about the same place anyways.

I have had a flipper open in my pocket so I had to live with tip down carry on that knife so the blade rests against the side of the pocket. Otf for the win nowadays.

Last edited:
Always carried clipped to right rear pocket. Never had an issue in almost 30 years. No undue wear on my pants furniture, or car seats. Never had a knife fall or pull out, and only once bent a clip.

This... :D:thumbsup:
John

I'd imagine not a lot of people enjoy sitting on their knife.

People that carry back pocket I don't understand either you like sitting on your knife or you have to take it out and put it back every single time you sit. Yeah must like that.

This really depends on the knife, the pants, and what else I'm carrying. I prefer tip-up in a front pants pocket. If my front pockets are full, I will sometimes carry on the closest edge of a back pocket. The knife needs to be relatively flat or straight, with a deep-carry clip, and a reasonably strong detent. The only possible issue is that I prefer tip-up there too and the opening side is not against a seam. In theory, the knife could open into the pocket but it hasn't happened yet.

With the right knife, I also like tip-down in a shirt, breast, or vest pocket. The M390 Dividend with deep-carry loop-over has been amazing with heavier dress and work shirts.

In my rear pocket, it tends to wear the seat in my Ridgeline. Don't know if it's just that model, or the material, leather, or .... But that's why I carry mine in my right front pocket.

Bob

I usually remove the clips, but I have kept them on a couple. Those are almost always in the watch pocket, right front. That said, I'll put them in any pocket I can easily reach, depending on the scenario. I'll clip them to the bill of my cap for easy access in a tight spot (inside or even crawling under server racks, usually).

For me front pocket carry has snagged more and more prone to discomfort while I have had little to no issues with back pocket carry myself.

Back