Kodiak PA and his fractured ass....knife content included

Kodiak PA

Gold Member
Real cowboys don't cry....real cowboys don't cry....real cowboys don't cry.......

Well, I did it. I broke my damn pelvis last night. Do I feel stupid. I was taking my wife's horse back to the corral and I slide off of her and landed on a bunch 'o rocks. OW! Right on my backside....and I can't feel my butt right now. I went to the hospital and I have a fractured acetabulum....I just call it a broken ass. I feel like an ass. I'm OK but very sore and waiting to hear from the orthopedic doctor to see if I need surgery. I bet real cowboy's don't break their asses.

For the fractured ass incident I was carrying a Spyderco Calypso (full size). VG10 stainless steel. This is a very nice knife to carry when you break your ass. Luckily it was IWB and no where near my hip when I fell. The knife was OK! Don't worry. I am broken but luckily the Calypso survived without a scratch.

My ass is so numb (How numb is it?)...well it is so numb that when I rub it, I think I am rubbing somebody else's ass! :D

Let's start a thread here and tell each other which knife you had on you the last time you went to the ER!

I guess on the up side, I will be able to spend a bit more time here for a while.

Sorry to hear it Greg. Sounds like you will have a hard time finding a comfy sit for a bit. Make sure to take it ral easy. My sister busted her coccyx(SP?) and it took months to get right.

Last time I was in the emergency room w/ a knife was to take a co-worker... I had a new Speed Tech and had sharpened it the evening before...You can guess. My buddy says "let me see the new knife" Now mind you, we are outside on a break and on concrete... I hand him the knife and say "it is SHARP" he looks it over opens it and says "it doesn't feel..." at which point it goes up in the air and he, not wanting to drop it, catches it as I yell "LET IT DROP"... He looks at me "Whew, glad I...FU*K" You could se a good portion of bone. It took only 17 stiches to put his finger back together.

(He now has his own knife!)

Speedy recovery and no surgery to you!

-Sam.

:( Sorry to hear about your butt, Greg. Hope everything still comes out ok!

Last ER trip was an AFCK and a LM PST, IIRC. Screwed up muscles from my tailbone to the base of my skull, and knocked my pelvis out of whack. No fun, but at least it wasn't broken.

Sorry to hear about your ass, Greg - no laughing matter! :( I busted mine back in the mid "70's in a tobagganig accident: had to sit on a doughnut (little inflated inner-tube-like gismo) for about 2 mo's....and no puters to play with, just TV. :barf: Can't remember what I was carrying for sure, probably my old Case Peanut s/j. Get well bud!!!

My only ER visit ever was the result of a love bite from an AG Russell One Hand Knife. I had to remove our TV antenna from the roof so new shingles could be put down. This was just after we had cable installed so the antenna wasn't needed any longer. After climbing a ladder built during the Civil War I realized I would need a wire cutter for the coax cable attached to the antenna. Not caring for another trip on the ladder I attempted to cut the coax cable and cut the web of my left hand in the process. No big deal, just head down the ladder and get the right tool for the job. Down the ladder I go and after hitting the second rung, the ladder breaks. I'm hanging on to the sides of the ladder and tear the small cut on my hand into a job for an ER intern. Thank God we have Leatherman tools now , huh?

Blues

Only Taken Out of the Box for Photos
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry to hear about your broken ass, Greg. It takes a real man (read cowboy) to own up to such. ;)

As a "cowboy", for future reference try to remember that you're supposed to break the ass, not have your own broken.

Get well soon.

Ken C.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Staff member
Super Mod
The last time I went to the ER with a knife was after a night fishing trip for blues out of the Atlantic Highlands. I had a Spyderco Catcherman on me at the time. We were out about 30 miles when we hit into a BIG school of fish. There where about 10 other people on the boat and at least 6 of us had a fish on. My fish decided that he didn't want to come aboard and sailed off in the other direction crossing 4 other anglers' lines in doing so. That's when it happened....SNAP! The line got severed by another fishermans line and a big birds nest of line came flying toward me. It hit me full in the face knocking me on my ass. I flew across the deck losing my knife out of my pocket and sliding toward the rail. I grabbed it before it went overboard not worrying about my eye at that point because it was a BRAND NEW knife. I bought it that day. I was not going to lose it the first day.

After I got my knife into my pocket my friend Rob noticed a lot of blood on my face and clothes and it wasn't from the fish. After the adrenaline wore off my eyes started to burn like hell. I had 2 lacerated corneas, a 1 inch cut on the corner of my left eye, and a cut above the bridge of my nose. Evidently, when the lined snapped it brought with it the other guys hook, line, and sinker. I sat bleeding for 2 hours until we got back to shore and was driven to the hospital. My left eye required a total of 7 stiches and patches over both eyes to protect my corneas. I lost the knife a week later.

Damn Greg, Sorry about the whole ass thing.

Last time I was in an ER because of a knife, it was a Henkels Chef knife one of my students chose to cut the wrong meat(his) with. As to what I was carrying, a Spyderco Military of course.

Take care and good luck.

BOK

The last time I went to the ER was because my friend had just about lopped the top inch of her right ring finger off on a Global (G5 I think). The knife was on a magnet bar and fell but she couldn't get her hand away in time. That finger was a pretty gruesome sight.
I had my AFCK on me at the time.

Kodiak PA

Gold Member
Well the good news is that I don't need surgery and the orthopeadic surgeon says I will be OK--nothing to pin, cast or fix. He says the ER over played the diagnosis. I will just be really sore for a while. The bad news is that my ass is so wide that it protected me....so I guess that is good news. He says the padding there probably protected me from a more serious injury. So I guess Kodiak PA's fat ass saved his ass...go figure. :)

Thanks for the well wishes....I appreciate you guys.

Speedy Recovery to you-
I took the "ex" to the ER in Queens on the first night of the 2000 World Series (Yankees vs. Mets) after she broke her foot while hiking-
I had just gotten back home from a match & was dirty/sweaty/sunburned & had no time for the attending's crap reply to a question: "sorry it took so long- I couldn't get the chief resident away from the game long enough to look at the x-rays". CS Vaquero- The guy almost got a *real* close look at it.

glockman99

RIP Dann, you were a good guy.
Greg,

I wish you a total and speedy recovery, even IF you DIDN'T break your ass.:D.

BTW...I'm very suprised to read that there are cowboys in Alaska!.:).

wolfmann601

Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.
Greg,
Sorry to hear about your cracked ass. Of course I hope your ass heals completely, but then you might have some difficulty in the future should you no longer have a crack.
I wish you a speedy recovery from your pain in the ass and hope you have learned a valuable lesson. I have no idea what that lesson could possibly be, but a fractured Ass has got to be an important thing to try to avoid in the future.
Hey, have a great weekend.............Ira;)

I have felt your pain Greg, and it is not ass funny ass people think!!! :D

Seriously though, I remember pains shooting through my body that felt like I was going to break in half.

I was carrying my trusty Large Sebenza when I went to the ER. Wish I could have told them something manly like I fell off of a horse. I just sat down where there was no chair... :eek:

Here wishing you a speedy recovery!

Brandon

Sorry to hear that kodiak I know how you feel,I ride bulls and I have had just about every damn bone broken from the waist down except one:eek: thank god.Just hang in there you will be fine and remember
COWBOY UP

not2sharp

Gold Member
Kodiak, I hope you feel better soon. Now get somebody to get rid of that $$#*@&# bunch of rocks!

n2s

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'll bet that Smarts...! :D

Sorry to hear that bud, you should have stayed on AOL and kept talking!!!

Get better dude, give me a call next week at work sometime, and quit feeling your butt, it gives me the willies thinking about that! ;)

G2

Wow, a guy that really breaks his ass for his wife :eek:
Last time for me in ER it was from peanuts, with a Buck 110.
Heal quick!
:D
Ebbtide

Hello Greg: Sorry to hear about your wreck. Time heals, but the fond memories remain. I broke both arms in one wreck comming off a horse. Still smile about it. One thing you will probably have time for Blade forms again. Hope you mend quickly.

Who gets to ride the horse while you are on the mend?

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Last time I visited the ER was after testing a wide spearpoint knife on a sapling bent over while cutting firewood. Sapling got cut and snapped up but first threw the knife into the side of my knee.Thank God the bone stopped it:) Felt like I'd been hit with a baseball bat in the side of the knee.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC