laguiole for under a 100.00?

Can anyone suggest a high qaulity laguiole for under 100.00. One that has a blade stop to protect the edges and has a horn handle?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Ive seen allot out there, but which ones are good?

I have a Pradel-Brossard from Laguiole. It's a neat knife, but the knifeblade hits the backspring, and hits it hard. Don't know if they're all like that, but I wouldn't buy another Pradel-Brossard without inspecting it first. Probably half of the blade would be smashed flat if I continued letting it snap shut.

Hope you find this helpful, even though I couldn't recommend a particular knfie for you.

-Bob

Forge De Laguiole puts out a quality product, but will probably go a little over $100.

In most slip joints, the edge will hit the back spring if you let it snap shut.

Paul

Hi,
Does the edge of the blade hit the spring? Does it mean that for all slipjoints we shouldn't let it snap shut?

Thanks.

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
On most folders, the lower part of the blade drops down just before the edge. It is called the kick. It impacts the inside of the handle before the edge itself can, preventing it from striking the backspring and dulling itself.

Unfortunately, many of the best slipjoints have so much snap when they close that they can strike that backspring slightly anyway. It seems many Laguioles don't have a real kick to prevent this at all.

Hey guys,

I have a laguiole....since I live in Belgium (and legally we can only carry non locking folders :mad: ) I bought myself a Laguiole.

My impressions:

Well, first of all, My Laguiole is a BEAUTIFULL knife! I bought it brand new for 60$ here, it was one of the cheaper ones they had in the store....
The brand is: "Laguiole en Aubrac" and their symbol is a bullshead.

Now, is it a good user?? YES it sure is, but in a cutting-knife way! You cant replace a strider by it, but it will cut anything just fine. I'm not kidding cause it's the sharpest knife i own...(and I do own 2 BM and a spidy! :eek: )

It doesn't have a lock, but it snaps open really hard, I mean: when you open it, you don't have to worry about the blade accidentally closing on your fingers! closing is the downside of that....you have to hold the blade until it's closed entirely otherwise you'll just blunt the blade :(

Another interesting fact: all the good ones are custom made! A worker just starts out with the raw materials and finishes the knife himself before begining to build the next one. (doesn't involve many machinery either...I 've seen one gy make 'em)

conclusion....watch out what u buy, and then you'll probably end up with a high-quality Laguiole that is just as good as any slipjoint!

Greetz, Davy

thyanks guys I apreciate the comments! I have heard that almost all laguiole style folders have a low heel so you have to slowly close the blades to prevent edge damage. I have one I bought years aago that the "fit and finsh" is awful on, I paid about 60.00 for that one. Ive seen some that have blades stops, but Ive been told that it can still be damged if allowed to "snap shut"

Davy, is it this brand? If so, how was the fit and finish, tolerences, spaces between handles, bolsters, did it come sharp, etc.?

http://www.frenchknives.com/lag9cmpearte.html

Bastid

Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder.
Staff member
Super Mod
I would take a look at some of the offerings here.
The quality is excellent.

Try here: www.Laguiole-Elite.com . I just bought a Le Thiers w/rosewood handle. Very nice. Came with a leather pocket sheath and the knife does have a blade stopper gap - unfortunately I let mine slam shut, sooo... out comes the Sharpmaker. Shipping was fast and they e-mailed me every step of the way. Hope this helps.

Hey rve_jch,

The knife on the picture seems similar, but the brandname on the blade is in a different lettertype on mine and the bull's face on mine is directed straight forward.

A better view of the brand of knives i have, you can find 'em here:
http://www.bijouterieleroy.com/aubrac.htm

Well, my knife didn't come very sharp (but it was not new out of the box...it was already showed, and thus probably also tested in the store) but it sharpened up really easy on my Lansky. And like i said: it now is the sharpest knife i own! My blade is also 12C27 steel, and I've been very pleased with it.

The backspring is rather stiff, but that is typical on any Laguiole :) Now, there is absolutely NO bladeplay in any direction. The fit and finish is very good (keeping in mind that mine is their cheapest model) there are no gaps between the liners and scales and everything is nice and smooth. Bolsters are made of brass, it will look a little worn over time...but it's real easy to clean it up again.

If you would like, I can send you some pictures of my knife. Just leave me your email-addy and I'll get you some instantly :)

Best newyearswishes, Davy

Hi,

I recently had the great delight of ordering and receiving my first Laguiole from www.laguiole-elite.com.

Service was excellent and professional. Great email support. I purchased a 12 cm Prestige Special Edition w/ebony handle.

The knife arrived in good time and with excellent packing. It had been carefully pre-inspected per my request. I am very happy with the knife!

The above being said, there is a small amount of a learning curve involved with closing this Laguiole I think. As mentioned above, the "kick" is quite small and refined, so letting the knife snap full shut is not the best idea (even more so with an expensive blade). I did this once or twice when I first got it, then realized that was not the way to go...

I "developed" this proceedure from use to close (I am right-handed):

(1.) Hold knife handle in right hand, face knife left, blade edge down.
(2.) Bring over left hand, rest end of thumb (left hand) on front bolster. inside of hand should rest on the top of the knife blade back - hand is at a slight angle as to put the point of the blade beyond the end of the palm.
(3.) Fold to 90 Degree position from gentle pressure of left hand.

re-orient:

(4.) Grab knife blade with left hand, middle of index finger in back of and beside blade parallel to it, thumb in front of and beside blade - both on upper portion of blade, above edge and back from tip. Essentially I am holding the blade in a "pinched" fashion.
(5.) Fold shut, thumb and index finger will brake the force of the closure by hitting the handle area.

Well, its a lot easier to do than describe!

Anyway... With a little practice, its easy and rather natural. I'm glad I went with a knife that has "tooling" on its blade back, as the added grip it provides is a definate plus with what I am doing above. Also, the 12 cm is better... for many reasons - one being that the point lies beyond the edge of my palm when closing in this fashion.

FYI.

Sincerely,

Mic

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Im thinking of buying one from layole.com I have been talking to them in e-mail for the last couple days about their knives. The only sad thing is the shipping is awful. Has anyone tried one of their blades in carbon steel? Im not to excited about the swedish stainless. I have one made out of it (laguiole, different company) that is not exactly anything to brag about.

Rev Jch,

La Coutellerie de Laguiole uses only quality steels and the heat treating done is quality too.

Carbon steel is ok but gets stained. I believe "stainless "12C27, when thinly ground and appropriate heat-treatment done is OK too.

I have both and can not tell the difference in edge holding.

Do not forget to buy full a set of postcards (9 or 10 different models, I can not remember) with the knife. You won't pay more shipping charges , but you 'll have really nice and original postcards to send to your friends ;)

ELDE

Elde,
I cannot thank you enough!!! You just answered my question!!! Tell me do they stamp their logo on the carbon blades? I am going to order three from them, but could not decide whoch blades to get! I want all three to be the same, but was worried the sandvik blades were crummy. I have a laguiole that has sandvik and the blade is really crummy, wont hold an edge. I was thinking of carbon steel for the edge holding, but wanted to do little mainenence. I want two of these for collector purposes and one to use (carry as an edc, etc.)

Would you e-mail and talk about this some more?

rev_jch@yahoo.com