large kershaw starsky ridgid G10--is it really comparable to the AFCK or Military?

Here is a link to a picture of the knife, if you have never heard of it (like me): http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/kershaw/atsfirst.html
The picture shows the smaller version, but they have a 4 inch model too. I have searched and the only posts I have found pointed out two things: The clip apparently sucks because it loosens quickly, and the knife is much larger than it seems. Has anyone handled one, and is it really in the same class as Benchmade and Spiderco?

I have had a smaller one. One problem for both the G-10 and ti model is that the detant is very weak. That its a tip up design only compounds problem. I could not recomend this knife partly due to the detant but also the ergonomics.

Not quite, IMO. But it's one hell of a knife at BF price (BF used to sell them). My problem with the clip is due to the fact that there's too big a space between the clip and the handle, i.e. not snug enough if you clip it to your pocket.

One other thing I found in my Starkey was that the locking liner was exposed too much off of the handle. This made it very (too) easy to unlock. Interesting enough my friend's Starkey doesn't have this liner problem (it's less exposed). Mine probably came from a different batch, but then again I got three of them, each from a different source--two 1410s and one 1415--and they all had this problem. I ended up dremelizing the locking liners. Now they're more flushed to the handles.

------------------
Reynaert
Fayetteville, AR

I have looked at the pictures, and it does seem to have a horribly protrusive liner. Does dremeling screw your warranty though? Also I read one comment about the ball dent being too strong rather than too weak, but since I already ordered one I can only hope for the best. The large 4 inch model was on special at KC for 49 dollars, so if the quality even approaches an AFCK or Military I will be very happy.

generallobster,

I believe doing so will screw the warranty, but I've never returned the Starkeys, so I'm not 100% sure. About ball detent problems, I don't have one yet. To me it's more like QC slippage, and not design shortcomings. But I honestly believe that you'll be surprised at the quality you'll find, especially at that price. Just wait and see till you get yours, who knows you're probably okay with the liner without altering it.

------------------
Reynaert
Fayetteville, AR

I have my 1410ST right here. It is the smaller version with Ti scales. It is my daily carry (or BM Stryker). The ball detent is very secure, the clip as well. I would say that the clip is even better than on my BM.

I like this knife very much not only because it is tip up carry but also the blade material is great. It is ATS 34 but I can get it sharper than any other ATS 34 knife I own. And from very far distance it looks like Sebenza
smile.gif
smile.gif

David

[This message has been edited by David1967 (edited 10 November 1999).]

I never use to take Kershaw serious at all, but recently they have some very sharp blades, perhaps the most sharp I have ever seen, because they only sharpen one side. Also, they are coming out with some very innovative designs. But I think people are dreaming off in lala land, if they would ever try to compare a kershaw to a knife like Benchmade. Kershaw's strongest knife, would never stand up to Benchmade's weakest knife. Kershaw is a novelty knife, with a nice sharp blade, they tend to make gizmos and gadgets more than serious knives. Sharp? Yes, Dependable? No. They have come a long way and I do plan to stock Kershaw's though.

There was a thread about Kershaw 1416 in the summer. It was called Kershaw Talon because in BFStore it was sold under name Talon (bf sold 1420ST,1421ST,1422 and 1416)
1416 got really good responce:
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000615.html

I bought one. It was the heftiest folder I owned before I got Sifu. It has the strongest ball bearing detent that I know. Certainly stronger than in benchmades that I have handled(the reason that I have only axis not any BM linerlocks). Also the liner is thicker. I must really try hard to flip it open. I normally flick it open using thumb stud. The detent is a couple order stiffer than in my 1410. The Starkey ridge was a bit of disappointment to me 'coz the big one and my two talons are so good.

IMO 1416 has the best linerlock that I have handled. 49$ is a steal if quality in it is as good as in mine. But as my small starkey ridge proofs Kershaw has warying quality. I have heard that they stand behind their products and fix problems. I live in Finland and sending a knife forth and back would be too much hassle so I have not own experience about their customer service.

I think that 1416 should be compared to spyderco Wenger not to Military. IMO Wenger and 1416 are much more similar. Wenger is smaller though.

i have a talon, and had another that i gave to a friend. they are both magnificent knives and are not toys as someone mentioned. i think that BM are great knives, but are overrated. everyone thinks that if it says BM on it, it has to be the best. my talon is a great knife. the only complaint that i have is that the clip screws only go into the g-10 and not the liner. i think you can definitely compare it to BM's and spyderco's. i like spyderco's blade holes better, so those are my favorites, but to each his own.

the clip screws don't go into the liner? I hate that. Can someone please tell me how they are attached. Are there brass nuts embedded in the G-10 or titanium, or are the screws just drilled straight into the handle?

the knife has dual stainless liners, but kershaw doesn't use them. the clip came only screwed into the G-10, no imbedded nuts, nothing. i fixed that myself, by getting longer screws and drilling and tapping the liners on both sides. now i have an ambi knife, but this may not be practical for everyone to do. i never had a problem with the original screws, i did the modification to make myself feel better about the knife.

generallobster,

leroys was right, the screws only go as far as the G-10. I should have mentioned this earlier, but I got rid of the clip (for the reason i mentioned previously). But if you want to keep the clip, do like leroys did, it shouldn't be a big problem.

------------------
Reynaert
Fayetteville, AR

Back