Large sebenza 25 Data Update 03-09-14

So, since posting a thread one week ago today I have begun a new quest.. In search of one of the first 30(or is it 29) Large Sebenza 25's. Thanks to the many informative post's from fellow members on that thread, and the resurfacing of the most excellent thread started by Steel_Addiction I think we have gathered a lot of very interesting data about the 25 and its production. It appears so far that all of the first production knives had birth card dates of November 21 2012. (so far) if you own one of these knives with a different date please let us know. It also appears that the second production run have birth card dates of January 31 2013. The next date reported in the thread so far is February 11 2013 (one of these sold today on the Forum) and then the group my (The One) falls into February 12 2013 (so far the largest run I have personally owned three) and then what appears to be the last run (so far) with the press fit stop pin February 28 2013.
I must note that this information is just what we have gathered in my thread and from my own personal observations. Again if you have any information that would add to this very unscientific and very boring thread please chime in!!
It appears (so far anyway) that after the 25's with birthcards dated February 28 2013 that CRK changed from the press fit stop pin to the current version with screws on both sides. This change appears to have stopped production of the knife for some time as (so far) it appears that the first knives without the press fit stop pin have birth cards dated May 30 2013 and June 6 2013. These knives appear to be the first to have date codes of A 13 on the inside of the handles. It also appears that the 25's from June 6 2013 were the last ones shipped before the introduction of the "New" packaging.
Ok, thats all I have to add (so far) if you have other information please chime in!!
It would be very interesting to learn (to me anyway) how many of the 25's with the press fit stop pin were shipped in January and February before it was discontinued. Thrity in each run? That would be what 120 total maybe 120 plus or minus. Plus the first run which was either 29 or 30? is it possible that there were only 150 of these knives made with the press fit stop pin?? Of course then you have the very expensive Large Sebenza 25 Prototype's numbered 1/25 thru 25/25. That would of course make these somewhat rare.... hmmmm. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
All the best, Dave

So, as promised I have an update on my continuing quest for information on the Large Sebenza 25. As with the Umnumzaan I have decided to break it down by "Type" of production knife (The 25 Prototypes stand alone and are not included).
Type 1: First Production Run Large Sebenza 25.
It appears that there were 29 knives produced in the first production run. All with Birth Cards dated November 21 2012.
These "first production" 25's differ from the later production in several ways.
A. Press fit stop pin. (also found on later runs until approx. May 2013.
B. The end of the Lock Bar was machined at a sharp angel (only found on the Prototypes and first run)
C. The blade stop on the first run and Prototypes use the pin with two groves. (this type of pin was also used on
the other Sebenza models during the same time frame and appears to have been discontinued at the end of
2012).
D. At least one of the knives in the first run and all of the Prototypes lack the code date on the inside of the
handles. Those with the date have A 12.
E. It has also been reported that on at least one of the first run knives the (without a code date) that the milling
for the lanyard "grove" is slightly different. It has been speculated that this particular handle may have been
intended as one of the Prototypes?
F. It has been reported that some if not all of these knives were shipped with defective fasteners (screws) most
notably the rear stand off screws. As a result some were returned to CRK for repair and at least one had the
shape on the end of the lock bar altered to the same configuration as later production.
Any additional information on the first run 25's would be greatly appreciated. I am sure that I have left something's out as I have not yet had the opportunity to see one of these knives in person.

Type 2: The second production version of the 25 appears to have been shipped with Birth Cards dated January 31 2013.
with further dates recorded as follows:
February 11th 2013, February 12th 2013, February 14th and February 28th 2013.
(These dates are what have been reported in this thread by other members and my personal observations).
These "second run" Type 2 versions of the 25 incorporate the following changes while still using the press fit stop
pin. And all have code date of A 12 on the inside of the handles.
A. New contour to end of lock bar.
B. Stop pin without the two groves.

Type 3: This is the current production model of the Sebenza 25. in addition to the two changes listed above on the Type 2
A. Delete press fit stop pin.
B. First knives to have A 13 code date. (the only code dates reported so far are A 12 A 13 and B 13.
These knives were first shipped with Birth Cards dated May 30 2013 and June 6 2013.
All Large 25's with Birth Card dates after June 6 2013 appear to have been shipped in the "New" packaging.
More interesting trivia.. the first and second run knives have birth cards that are filled out by hand and the Knife section on the card reads Large Sebenza 25. Later cards are printed and read Sebenza 25. This change in the birth cards can is seen on 25's with a date of February 28 2013 and later.

Well that's it for now boys and girls. Please fill free to add additional information including photos if you have them to the thread. Any information would be greatly appreciated and will be added as it becomes available.

Chris Reeve Large Sebenza 25 "The One"
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...hris-Reeve-Large-Sebenza-25-quot-The-One-quot
Sebenza 25 - The Be All End All Knife aka "The One"
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...he-Be-All-End-All-Knife-aka-quot-The-One-quot

Last edited:
Great post Dave as usual, may I ask if that is you in the pic?

Thanks Andre!! I can not lie it is I !! Many years ago my friend!! The Class B (KAKI) uniform and the 1973 Ford Patrol Car should give you an idea of just how long ago it was...
All the best, Dave

Great post Dave as usual, may I ask if that is you in the pic?

You look great my friend, at least from what I can tell from such a small pic...:D

Thanks Tim!! as you can probably tell the early 25's have become my latest obsession!! And since they are relatively new to the CRK line up I think we have an opportunity here to get some really good information on the Latest and Greatest offering from Chris Reeve Knives!! My hope is that the thread will encourage other owners like you and I to come forward and share information about their 25 with the rest of us.
All the best, Dave

Great idea Dave, I can't wait till more information comes in....hopefully. :thumbup:

Mine is a January 31, 2013 model. A12 dating, press fit pin. Sounds like a standard second production run.

Also, it's a user.

Dave, have I mentioned that you have it bad?!?

I did score one of the first run (11/21/12), and have been meaning to press it into use. Now you have me my user vs collector sides fighting it out.

Feel free mikepapa1 to copy this to the CRK Timeline. I am sure others would like to see this in there as it pertains to the history of a specific CRK knife.

Not since the last time James!! :D Thats awesome! Now we have found four of the first run 25's right here on the Forum!! Thanks for the information!! :thumbup:
All the best,
My name is Dave and I have it bad for "This Thing of Ours" ;)

Dave, have I mentioned that you have it bad?!?

I did score one of the first run (11/21/12), and have been meaning to press it into use. Now you have me my user vs collector sides fighting it out.

Thanks for the information Tripton!! It is much appreciated! And yes thats what they were made for to use!
All the best!!
Dave

Mine is a January 31, 2013 model. A12 dating, press fit pin. Sounds like a standard second production run.

Also, it's a user.

That would be great nyefmaker!! But you're talking to a guy who spent three years in the eighth grade and still can't figure out how to post pictures to the Forum. :confused: I doubt I can copy this to anything lol lol.:D
But I will give it a shot.
All the best, Dave

Feel free mikepapa1 to copy this to the CRK Timeline. I am sure others would like to see this in there as it pertains to the history of a specific CRK knife.

I love my Sebenza 25 Prototype 16/25. Back when I bought it, people called me insane. Now more and more people are starting to ask me if I would be willing to sell it for original $2500 price. NO WAY! Sebenza 25 is a revolutionary model and is becoming huge. This ended up being a great investment and will continue to be over time !!!

Once you confirmed that your list is correct and detailed (what I expect it to be) it would be cool to make a poll to see how many of each version are around here.

Peter

Back