1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Latest Knife - Wenge Stout

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by bike4fun919, Sep 2, 2017.

1. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    I just finished this one up today. It's Aldo's 1084 3/16" steel, Wenge scales with brass pins. I hand waxed and polished the Wenge. I dubbed it Wegne stout because this is the first 3/16" steel I've used and it made a stout little beast. I absolutely love working with Wenge, it's a beautiful wood. As always I continue to learn something with each knife. Thanks for looking!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seesteel, BP_, number9 and 1 other person like this.
  2. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Looks good! :thumbsup: except for the sharpening notch.

bike4fun919 likes this.
  3. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    I see you aren't a fan! :)

4. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Everything I see looks excellent, the handle, wood, blade shape, belly, grind... except the notch. It's troublesome with some cutting tasks. I have no trouble sharpening the whole edge and keeping the original shape without it.

bike4fun919 likes this.
  5. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Nice work! I like smaller fixed blades like that. She looks like the only thing she needs is to be put to work! Beauty :):thumbsup:

bike4fun919 likes this.
  6. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I too love wenge and that looks spectacular!

bike4fun919 likes this.
  7. Frisky

Frisky

Dec 1, 2010
    I was just gifted a very nice Canadian Belt Knife clone in wenge. Your knife is beautiful! Looks like a great all-around design for outdoor living.

Joe

bike4fun919 likes this.
  8. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    I do appreciate all the comments! This is my retirement hobby and I'm really enjoying making knives.
    Like many of the replies, I love working with the Wenge. I think its beautiful, it works well and the grain can be quite spectacular. It takes an exceptional hand waxed polish.
    As far as the notch, since I'm new to knife making, I assumed it was a pre-requisite but now I'm learning different. Some folks like them and some don't.
    In fact I hesitated to put the notch in this blade because I didn't want to remove the union of the heel and the blade edge. Oh well, I have a lot to learn.

Thanks again!

9. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    Here are a couple more Wenge scaled knives I just completed. The first one was my second attempt at forging/stock removal. The second one is stock removal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

FOG2 and Henry Beige like this.