leather preservative

I never seen it mentioned or for that matterr recommended but has any one used any type of leather preservative on their saddleback leather? Type? Results? :confused:

Good question. I use Obenauf's LP on all my leather products and was wondering what others use.
I have not used it on my Saddleback wallet yet.

I haven't used it yet, but on the Saddleback site they suggest (and sell) Chamberlain's Leather Milk Linament: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/products/3602

I purchased some when I picked up my bag, but I believe it suggested somewhere on the site to carry the bag for 6-12 months before worrying about using anything on it.

I use Lexol Neatsfoot on all of my leather including my SBL stuff. It hasn't changed the color of any of the leather I have including the one SBL tobacco Large bag I have. I thought it would and part of why I used it in the first place.

It darkens the leather at first cause it's obviously wet, but once the leather soaks it up it pretty much goes back to it's original color. Out of all the different types of leather I have, I would have thought the unfinished nature of the tobacco would change dramatically but it didn't. YMMV.

I've had good success with it as a conditioner on cow, bull, horse, elephant, and shark skins. Mostly belts, jackets, watch straps, and holsters.

After receiving my new SBL medium bi-fold (tobacco), a couple of drops of water found their way on my wallet. I noticed a couple of raised patches where the water absorbed into the leather. They were not stains but looked like welts. This really bothered me especially since SBL says that they apply Chamberlain's Leather Milk to all products prior to shipping. This should have protected the leather as the wallet was literally in my hands for 24 hours after receiving it directly from SBL. I have a tub of Pecard's Leather Dressing in my shoe shine kit and thought to give it a try. Before applying to the wallet, I called Pecard's and asked how it would affect the leather knowing that SBL is chromium tanned leather. The gentleman I spoke to assured me that the ph of Pecards was neutral and that the oils would not interact with the stitching or leather. (apparently Pecard's has been getting a lot of calls from SBL owners with the same questions).
I applied the Peckard's with my fingers and worked it into the leather, including the areas behind the credit card slots. It darkened the leather somewhat but gave a nice looking patina quality to it. I then inserted my cards and left the wallet in the closed position overnight in a plastic bag under about 50 lbs. of weight (I used two bags of lead bird shot). The next day my wallet now remains closed and is nicely broken in and very nicely water repellent. I then finished the edges with Fiebing's leather edge dressing (dark brown) and feel like I have a wallet that will last a very long time.
DSCN5185.jpg

DSCN5183.jpg

Back