Leather stinks

I don't have a problem with leather sheaths or watch bands. But if you can't wash them in water and you use them everyday in a rather warm and humid enviroment, what can you do about the horribly odoriferous character that seems to mature with time? I have used leather preserving oil, but that doesn't help. I have also rubbed deodorant or anti-persperant gel directly on the leather, but that leaves a stain.

Try wax.

Oil tend to soften the leather and increases absorption of dirt and grime.

I dont have a problem with leather sheaths. It may not be as durable as some of the syntetics but it is certainly quieter than plastics or metal (a requirement if you're trying to get near wildlife). At any rate your leather sheath should last at least as long as your leather boots/shoes.

Try shoe polish. It works, get the neutral or clear type(unless it's black, then get black). It can smell better than other things.....
PR

------------------
Civilian "Military" fans unite!!!

sing,

I have this one small fixed blade that I always take deer hunting with me. It seems that I have had the best luck hunting in down pours: I am talking biblical rains here!
smile.gif

Anyway, the leather sheath has been SOAKED dozens of times: I just let it air dry inside the basement, and an ocassional coat of Snoseal. Leather sheath is fine and I leave the knife it it year round (no rust, or mold). My basement is damp in the summer, so I run a couple of humidifiers. I have had a problem with a 'mold' growing on the outside of some leathers - white/light green color, and some of my old Fred Abrogast (sp?) fishing lures, too (white film/mily like). I just had Chiro75 make me a Kydex sheath for a skeleton fixed blade (which came out pretty nice
smile.gif
), so it will be interesting to see what happens to that knife if I leave it in the sheath all year. I prefer leather sheaths because they are quieter, if you happen to be walking thru some brush, or you bang it with your firearm. The synthetics as not2sharp had mentioned are odorless, but noisy. Leather is tanned with oils, or chemicals so it has odor to wildlife. Game are more likely to pick up the scent from our shampoo, or toothpaste before the sheath gives you away...lol. It is a trade off.

Personally I like the leather. I do have a few Kydex sheaths though.
smile.gif
Like everything in the world - nothing is perfect.
smile.gif

Would you rather wear leather sneakers, OR Kydex?! LOL
smile.gif
Just kidding.

[This message has been edited by maddog2020 (edited 14 July 1999).]

First clean it well with saddle soap. Next, after it is dry, get it warm and apply beeswax or mink oil. Make sure the product you use DOES NOT contain silicon. This will soften the leather too much. Then either put it in the oven at about 125 degrees for 15 or 20 minutes or use a hair dryer to help the wax penetrate the leather. Let it sit for a couple of hours and wipe off the excess witha clean, soft cloth. If you care for your sheaths regularly they will last a lot longer and serve you well. Even if you have sheaths you don't use, applying wax once a year will keep the leather from drying out (now if I could only follow my own advice).

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

MD,

I like leather. I like cotton. I like natural. But you wouldn't want a leather sheath for a dive knife, or say a tactical compactness and multicarry are important. I also think there is a limit what wax, oils, etc. can do to protect leather in a constantly wet environment, like the jungle.
I also think banging your kydex sheath and makng noise is not much of a concern beyond making lots of noise stalking in general. If you are careful to not snap twigs, snag branches, you would be careful to not rap your kydex.
wink.gif

Of thread, you should see my new Madpoet set -- 6" and 3.75" knives with combined leather sheath and individual sheaths made of leather. Got to love the aesthetics of them.

sing

sing,

TRUE!. I leave my knife attached to my fanny pack on the right hand side near the small of my back. When crouching and moving around in the woods around here (lots of under brush), the branches and things slide past you. Cordura nylon makes way louder sounds!
smile.gif

In a jungle enviroment as you have said, leather is toast. Kydex et al has its place.

Cool, the knife set came in! It sounds sweet
smile.gif
. I have picked up a few LARGE fixed blades myself
smile.gif
. Now, you can't tell me a Kydex dual sheath would look nicer than your dual leather sheath. Your points well taken.

[This message has been edited by maddog2020 (edited 14 July 1999).]

I use Pecard Leather Dressing.

1111.gif

Best I know of! I do leather work sometimes and this stuff really works. Check out David Morgan's web site for complete info on this item. Go to the search section and type in Pecard Leather Dressing to bring up the link. http://www.davidmorgan.com/

or go to this direct: http://www.davidmorgan.com/CATALOGS/DM/dm16|+H607?5062147464477054195812022118

Hope this is of some more help!
smile.gif

Mark
AKTI Member #A000003

------------------
" Knife Collectors Are Sharp People! "

[This message has been edited by Mark W Douglas (edited 14 July 1999).]

Back