1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's see your Case knives, old to new.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pipeman, Dec 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Here it is after a super-strength tea bath, even the stainless got blacky for a while and the scales 'bloated' swelled beyond the liners....Soon returned to normal size with overnight drying though. Not too bad at all, now it's sharpened up it's a nice new addition to the CASE stable.

[​IMG]

mitch4ging, Jak3, oldtymer and 23 others like this.
  2. jec88

jec88

Mar 6, 2012
    That looks great!
    I have just recently "discovered" the slimline trapper after owning several full size trappers. I've had one for years and never carried it. Put it in my pocket the other day and what a great knife. Mine is not the barehead and that is what I'm wanting to pick up. Is your tea dip as simple as it sounds, just soak the knife overnight in tea?

Will Power and RDaneel like this.
  3. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Love that knife, nice job with the tea. Looks like my next purchase will be a red bare head and a box of tea.
    C

Will Power and jmh33 like this.
  4. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thanks gents :thumbsup:

For tea dye you need to follow some prep work. The reason I use tea is that Ritt dyes etc not available here in Europe but you could use them instead depending on the colour you want to achieve.

1. Wash the knife with warm soapy water, dry thoroughly.
    2. De grease it using alcohol/lighter fuel etc.. Avoid touching the knife with your fingers so use paper or disp. gloves to avoid getting oils or grease on the scale slabs.Allow to dry.
    3. Prepare tea, use ONLY black Indian teas not green. Prefer using very strong stuff like the British & irish drink, use 4 tea bags.
    4. Boil water in electric kettle then pour into a small shallow saucepan where the tea bags are waiting, add pinch of salt. Use only enough water to properly cover the knife. After a minute or so, place the knife in, lay it on 2 of the tea-bags, with the other 2 covering it. Leave overnight.
    5. Wash and dry the knife on paper and let dry slowly, don't try to put it on a radiator or this may crack the scales. Don't be alarmed if the scales bloat a bit, they will return to normal size i 24 hours slow dry. Wipe down with mineral oil or wax and rub with a cloth.

I've even done this to Stag with tidy results , but it takes some nerve as Stag is precious and it bloats more than bone in water:eek::D:D

5. jec88

jec88

Mar 6, 2012
    I like all brands of knives, with Buck being my favorite and Case second. I'll have to say that out of all of the knives I've seen on blade forums, that redbone slimline is one of my all time favorites. Been carrying a slimline redbone cv trapper this week, but it isn't the barehead. Going to have to pick one of those up.

dc50 likes this.
  6. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
  7. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I just acquired this 1977 Case 62055 small cigar jack with jigged brown Delrin covers and CV steel. I'm excited to add this one to my small but growing collection. According to Steve Pfeiffer's book, the 055 pattern dates back to at least the Case Tested era, was discontinued in November 1978, and has never been brought back into production. In the 70s the pattern was randomly switched between bone and Delrin covers.

It's interesting to note that the "55" pattern designation is now used for the seahorse whittler. I don't know if this means that it's unlikely for the "055" to ever be brought back? That would be a shame, because it's a really nice pattern (although the current 032 small Texas Jack is similar in size and blade complement).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    mitch4ging, Goetztalon, Jak3 and 18 others like this.
  8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    What a nice little knife. It looks very handy.

Ace Rimmer and dc50 like this.
  9. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    That's what I was thinking John. :thumbsup:

Ace Rimmer and JohnDF like this.
  10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Right? Like a Texas Jack but without the annoying square end caps. :D

dc50, Ace Rimmer and Dschal like this.
  11. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Yes! I think I like not only the rounded bolsters but also the straight (not serpentine) handle. And, I think the blades are just a bit nicer, too. This one has a nice swedge on the clip and there's something about the shape of the pen that I can't seem to manage to verbalize but that I quite like.

Fodderwing and dc50 like this.
  12. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Exactly! :thumbsup::p

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  13. jwb01

jwb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2016
    6318 in “pocket worn” green bone.... gift from my better half.
    26C9CA98-8492-4F36-8C41-71B747932CA9.jpeg

mitch4ging, Goetztalon, Jak3 and 16 others like this.
  14. Aryan29

Aryan29

May 20, 2018
    St Valentine’s Day 2019 addition to my Case Family.
    D919CAD4-37C4-41F0-903F-585F3C18EC96.jpeg
    5819DB67-BB46-410E-B82A-7C21DD328F41.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  15. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Inspired by Will's photos, I decided to get one of the Old Red barehead slimline trappers.

[​IMG]

16. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Wish you guys would quit posting those. ;) Now I'm going to have to track one down for myself. :D

Old Engineer likes this.
  17. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
  18. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Newest Case, a 52154W stag Wharncliffe tiny trapper. I was really in the mood to spend some knife money yesterday and almost had myself talked into a swayback gent in jugged chestnut bone CV. Then I saw this one. I love small knives and I think the clip / Wharncliffe combination is just about ideal.

[​IMG]

19. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Brilliant MOP on the swayback, Alan!

joeradza likes this.
  20. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014