Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

mOzGIXZ.jpg

Smooth bone. Received as Xmas gift.

Over the past year this Texas Jack has slowly become one of my favorites, even more so with the modification I performed on the secondary blade.

I never expected to love it as much as I do and there's no telling if something else will eventually surpass it, nothing is certain so whatever happens happens.
I just know that for the time being I really like this knife a lot.

The shim on the 70's version is just in the bolster area, whereas on the younger model it is over the whole one side. The frame becomes thicker and more stable. I will post a comparison picture of this asap.

@nifebrite beginning in 1985 Case started using two springs in the Canoe pattern.

I'd like to see a good photo of the one you have. Showing the liners with the blades open.

I hope these photos show the different construction.
The darker bone and thinner frame, with the gap on the shim, is from '76, the lighter and thicker version (with no play on closed small blade) from '81.
In the open position both blades on both knives have no play and are awesome cutters!

efoDKD7.jpg

VEzegZS.jpg

am7fxdB.jpg

I started a thread once on that extra liner. I called it the "butt ugly manufacturing shortcut so companies don't have to properly crink their blades" technique. Apparently the proper term for it is a side center scale.

Over the past year this Texas Jack has slowly become one of my favorites, even more so with the modification I performed on the secondary blade. I never expected to love it as much as I do and there's no telling if something else will eventually surpass it, nothing is certain so whatever happens happens.
I just know that for the time being I really like this knife a lot.

I feel the same way about mine. No matter how many new knives I buy the Texas Jack always finds it's way back into my pocket before too long. I like blade mod you did. I always thought it would be even better with a small sheepsfoot like they put on the medium stockman.

I feel the same way about mine. No matter how many new knives I buy the Texas Jack always finds it's way back into my pocket before too long. I like blade mod you did. I always thought it would be even better with a small sheepsfoot like they put on the medium stockman.
It would for sure.
I thought about it but didn't feel like going through that much work, this way I didn't have to touch the edge and it only took a couple minutes.

View attachment 1276684

We have been having a great exploration of Case “Red Bone” on the thread “Pictures of red bone?”. I was surprised to learn that these four XX and XX USA knives would not be considered to be Red Bone to a Case purist. They look red to me, but I now know that a hard core collector or dealer is only looking for the lighter and brighter XX’s. Those are the only ones they consider to be Red Bone. To make it even more interesting, they divide Red Bone into several more categories ranging from just okay to exceptional.

I am still confused as to one aspect of this. A lot of the really bright light red XX’s also appear to be the most pocket worn. Could it be that they all started out like the ones I posted but became redder as the dye was worn away or faded a bit? I have passed on a few of the redder ones in the past, because, although I liked the color, I prefer to have crisp jigging.

I suppose this level of nuance is just beyond my level of collecting. I prefer to buy what looks good to me. Of course, now that I have been properly educated, I might keep an eye out for a nice strawberry red! Are any of you aware of knife shows where you could view a large number of Red Bones? I would love to drill down and study them in real life.

Last edited:
View attachment 1276684

We have been having a great exploration of Case “Red Bone” on the thread “Pictures of red bone?”. I was surprised to learn that these four XX and XX USA knives would not be considered to be Red Bone to a Case purist. They look red to me, but I now know that a hard core collector or dealer is only looking for the lighter and brighter XX’s. Those are the only ones they consider to be Red Bone. To make it even more interesting, they divide Red Bone into several more categories ranging from just okay to exceptional.

I am still confused as to one aspect of this. A lot of the really bright light red XX’s also appear to be the most pocket worn. Could it be that they all started out like the ones I posted but became redder as the dye was worn away or faded a bit? I have passed on a few of the redder ones in the past, because, although I liked the color, I prefer to have crisp jigging.

I suppose this level of nuance is just beyond my level of collecting. I prefer to buy what looks good to me. Of course, now that I have been properly educated, I might keep an eye out for a nice strawberry red! Are any of you aware of knife shows where you could view a large number of Red Bones? I would love to drill down and study them in real life.
That 47 is stunning!

Back