Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

My most recently acquired Case... arrived yesterday. I'm a little disappointed. I thought it was smooth white bone, but this is the jigged white cover that looks like they dyed the bone a creamy white, then polished the heck out of it. The knife itself is great, no noticeable gaps or wobbles... I just don't like those bone handles.
I think I might attack this one with some abrasives, to see if there's any "natural" bone in there, and see if I can get rid of most of the jigging. This one might even be a candidate for my first attempt at dying bone.
Conclusion, nice knife, ugly handles.... :cool:

IZZCGT.jpg

My most recently acquired Case... arrived yesterday. I'm a little disappointed. I thought it was smooth white bone, but this is the jigged white cover that looks like they dyed the bone a creamy white, then polished the heck out of it. The knife itself is great, no noticeable gaps or wobbles... I just don't like those bone handles.
I think I might attack this one with some abrasives, to see if there's any "natural" bone in there, and see if I can get rid of most of the jigging. This one might even be a candidate for my first attempt at dying bone.
Conclusion, nice knife, ugly handles.... :cool:

IZZCGT.jpg
Ive never done that either, if you decide to go for it post pics!:thumbsup:

Quite a few of the more experimental types on here have dyed, re-dyed, and un-dyed their knives. I need to go back and look at their posts, but it's basically RIT dye in warmish water.... protect your metal as much as possible from rust, then dunk them in the dye for a while. Since this one is SS, rust should not be as big a threat.

Quite a few of the more experimental types on here have dyed, re-dyed, and un-dyed their knives. I need to go back and look at their posts, but it's basically RIT dye in warmish water.... protect your metal as much as possible from rust, then dunk them in the dye for a while. Since this one is SS, rust should not be as big a threat.
I have several inexpensive white bone knives that would be perfect to use just have never gotten around (or had the nerve) to try it.:D

I don't know, it looks like it might age very well with handling and carry.:cool:

The jigging looks like what you get on the Pocketworn versions. What does it call it on the box?

Abrasives could mess up the pins and shield, I'd avoid that route personally....

Ok... here's some pics. I wanted to take the "jigging" out of it, to begin with. I don't know about dying it, yet.

Mark side, pre and post....

IZZCGT.jpg
IZ1fJC.jpg

and pile side, pre and post.... I like this a whole lot better than the original. I may just leave it plain, natural bone.

IZ1FS5.jpg
IZ1P2v.jpg

Ok... here's some pics. I wanted to take the "jigging" out of it, to begin with. I don't know about dying it, yet.

IZZCGT.jpg
IZ1fJC.jpg

and pile side, pre and post.... I like this a whole lot better than the original. I may just leave it plain, natural bone.

IZ1FS5.jpg
IZ1P2v.jpg
Wow, you really improved the look of that knife! I agree it looks good just as it is. What did you use as your abrasive?

IZZCGT.jpg
IZ1fJC.jpg

IZ1FS5.jpg
IZ1P2v.jpg
Looks 100% better already

Wow, you really improved the look of that knife! I agree it looks good just as it is. What did you use as your abrasive?
I just used my little belt sander to rough it down, then finished it by hand with fine (220?) sandpaper, then 400-ish wet dry, with oil to smooth it.

hornetguy hornetguy

Lightly use some 1000 grit and then 2000 grit sandpaper on the entire exterior to refine the scratch pattern on the surfaces. Then if you really want it to shine, precisely cover the scales with blue painters tape. Run it on a buffing wheel to really bring up the shine of the bolsters, liners and backsprings

Back