Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Couple of Vaquero Ultralites:

tSEuK1t.jpg

bhME68Q.jpg

Mountain Man Aurum Knife.JPG Mountain Man Aurum Knife 2.JPG Track ad 2.JPG Front Side Track NRA Knife.JPG What a BEAUTIFUL collection you have. I know over the years many knife people have criticized the Schrade Bowie (has a specific name but it escapes me at the moment) as having too large a blade. Well it was made form the mid 70's until 2004 or at least in inventory) as a knife for special productions. As you know there were to tang versions, straight and curved. The curved show up mainly on the higher end knives like the NRA with flag knife etched by Baron Technologies, they also did that knife in the WWII Pearl Harbor, a White Tail Deer and a one of for Popular Mechanics 100th Anniversary, all etched by BT. Can't blame Schrade for the all the Aurum variations as that one would be an Aurum issue. The Other knife is made by Track Knives of Whitefish Montana for the NRA in 1976. I have matching # set of 1976 Schrade Aurum NRA and Track 1977 NRA. First pic is from an ad in American Rifleman in 1976. I also have the Sterling 4pc matching # set by Smith and Wesson. Below is my Colt knife, I have also seen this w/o shield. Every time I find and Aurm etched knife I save a pic for reference as there is so little information about these knives.Colt Aurum Bowie Variation 1.JPG

Well... I lost my go to knife. Who knows where she went. I can't afford to buy a new one just like it but the general store has some Old Hickory knives! This was an 8" slicer. I quickly snapped a few inches off and reground the bevel. Thinned the edge and now she is an excellent camp blade at about 5".

Slaughtered our pigs this year with it. Performed extremely well! Guess I have a new go to knife.

PS sorry for my wife's Buck knife beside it. Not quite as traditional.
21751517_1422858391160768_1727986105783952775_n.jpg

21728216_1422858761160731_8056862211814164629_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ya got me jmarston. I kept looking for buck hanging next to the hog. Took me two looks to realize you were talking about the knife. I just couldn't find a buck in that pic of the hog and was wondering why you were apologizing for the buck. Got it now.

I didn't even think of that Horsewright Horsewright !
Fixed it to prevent any further confusion. By the way I love your many posts showing you and yours using your knives! And beautiful workmanship to boot! Well done!

No bucks for me to hunt up here in the Yukon. Moose is the name of the game. Shot one last year but we raised all of our meat for this year to try something different.

Much of my bush work is done in close proximity to water. Rivers and lakes get you more places than roads will so that is how we get out to the woods. I would hate to have my fancy dancy fallkniven fall into the depths on a moose hunt or canoe trip. As I mentioned in my previous post, it was lost and I couldn't afford another. Frankly I prefer the way this Old Hickory cuts anyways. The steel is about half as thick and while I lose a little edge holding, I gain in everything else in my opinion. The only thing I miss is that grippy rubberized handle. Oh well. Maybe some hockey tape can fix that right up for me eh?

As much as I love beautiful custom handmade knives and will always appreciate them, the Old Hickory knives are nearly always sold out at the general store for a reason.

Mail call! This beautiful little Nessmuk fixed blade was made by @emmer_knives on Instagram, a teenage knifemaker from Germany. The Nessmuk is my favorite fixed blade pattern and I think he did a terrific job with this one.

Wow, that is some real nice work :) Great pic too :thumbsup:

That's a beauty Dave. The pictures you post of your knives and lifestyle are always a real treat for me.

And for many of us, I think Randy :) :thumbsup:

Horsewright Horsewright What beautiful knives... I may have to get in touch with you one of these days! I love that gunny sidekick too... I used to hate clip points on fixed blades but man does that knife look like it cuts well above it's size...

A Queen City model 82 Hunting Knife (1925-1945). Please excuse the Queen model 52 trapper (1958-1960), as it's an old picture and it's too dark outside (i.e., I'm too lazy) to get a new pic.

wjL4DhA.jpg

- Stuart

Back