LionSteel Hest 2.0

vwb563

Gold Member
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a Hest 2.0 folder which everyone knows is made by LionSteel. I must say this is one heck of a tough built folder. Its build reminds me of the Hinderer XM18 I once owned but for a lot less money. It was very stiff and hard to open when I first received it but after approx 200 opening and closings it is a lot easier to open and has smoothed out a lot also. I like everything about the knife like the roto lock, the glass breaker, and the built in bottle opener / wave feature but I do wish the blade was about 3/4" longer. It's ok the length that it is but I would personally like it better if it were a tad bit longer. Hopefully soon I will get to give it a good wringing out during an upcoming camping trip this summer in the Appalachian mountains. I just wanted to say thanks to LionSteel for building such a great knife for the price. Thanks and take care everyone. Virg.

I picked my new HEST/f 2.0 from a local knife 'pusher'/enabler last week. Wow! A T10 Torxx driver on one side and the two-pin tool on the other side permitted a very few degrees CCW rotation to loosen the pivot ever so slightly. That, and of questionable value, a needle applicator drop of clock oil on said pivot, and the knife pivots properly, ie, without needing a strong hand! Good edge, too. Very near CRK in fit & finish - a nice knife. Thanks, Lionsteel!

Stainz

Last edited:
I bought a HEST/F 2.0 also and I love it except for the same thing you mentioned. Sometimes I think I need to keep a prybar on me to help me operate the frame lock to close it. So yours was like that at first too and after a couple hundred times it's smoothed out? If so, I'll trade someone a knife or something to open and close mine 200 times. I'd need a prosthetic thumb if I did it 10 times in a row. Thanks guys.

The opening and closing of the pivot tension lightened up and smoothed out a lot. But the stiffness of the lock tension never changed any. The lock is so strong I highly doubt the need of the roto-lock at all. This thing is a true tank of a knife. Slices surprisingly well for such a thick blade though. Holds a great edge also. I'm not to happy with the knife's creator (RYP) but I am happy with the knife. ;)

Love my new HEST as well. A few I mean just a few slight ccw degrees on the pivot with the supplied tool, super cool as well has this baby smooth as greased poop. The lock does get a bit sticky especially when opened hard but I do see it getting smoother. Only had it for a few days now. Had anyone reprofiled there's yet? Wicked factory edge but due to the blade thickness I think the bevel could be a bit higher. Looking into a professional sharpening job perhaps. Pictures anyone?

My two pin tool just turned the pivot nut & bolt - they must be Loctited together - or just really tight. Use a T10 on the backside and the two pin part of the included tool on the other side to 'break' them loose. Try literally just a few degrees of CCW rotation. The pencil lead on the blade's lock area helped the unlocking... a little... it's still pretty stout! Working the knife helps... at least it builds up a callous - and strengthens the thumb!

Stainz

got a HEST v1 in ideal working order...for me the roto lock is why i love the knife; when that is on it's pretty much a fixed blade and that is confidence...i got a HEST v2 in backup, but i think it's redundant to have as the v1 has been bulletproof...

and for the record, i respect RYP and what he's done; the man has "walked the talk"...the issues from here are irrelevant to me.

Mine was the same when I got it. It should smooth out with a little use. They seem to require a little break in.

ive had mine for a while now and it loosens up and just flys out after a little while. its a good knife!

Got myself one as well last week. It is my first lefty framelock and will be my EDC for the foreseeable future! It is nice to see a company cater to lefties for under $200!!!

Dscn0387-2.jpg

The lock was sticky at times but a little sharpie on the blade tang fixed that. The only negative I have is the coating. It seems impossible to keep clean or it is getting scuffed just being in my pocket. The blade is centered so there is no rubbing and the only things I have cut so far are paper and a thin piece of cardboard...

And I thought I got the only lefty 2.0 :)

I took mine apart, and sanded the G10, it was a bit too abrasive. The blade finish does seem to collect marks, but I've had mine for a few weeks and cut a lot of stuff, and the blade finish looks almost polished now.

Update, I just received my second HEST 2.0 today. I sold my first one to a friend who wanted it badly and ordered another. I must say my second one is perfect just like the first one. It's a "carbon copy" of the first and tells me that Lionsteel must have excellent quality control. Everything about this knife is just perfect. Fit and finish is just outstanding. It's a little stiff opening just like my first one but that should lighten up with a few hundred open and closings just like the first did. It is extremely sharp out of the box and shaved arm hair effortlessly. The Roto block works smoothly just as it should and the frame lock works great with a very strong 50 % lockup and is just a tad sticky on the release. This is also exactly as my first one was. I'm very pleased with these knives. :)

Last edited:
I've been on these knives from the beginning. I have a LE sterile, a 1.0, a 2.0 that's been my EDC since it came out, and just got the T3 triple black. Yes the early ones had a few issues but the current ones are SOLID! Here are three of them, the 1.0 is in Afganistan with my son.

Attachments

• HEST Fx3.jpg
    HEST Fx3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 163
The new tool looks wicked :thumbup:

Did you get triple black to use or safe queen? I'd like to hear how those serrations cut.

I just got the 2.0 yesterday. The lock is extra-sticky. Not sure why this should be considered "standard" for a framelock. I also have a ZT 0550 which is smooth and perfect and unlocks easily and smoothly. The Hest is a bit lighter and not as wide, although the handle thickness of both folders is very similar. Am grateful that Stainz got some helpful hints in terms of smoothing this monster out a bit. I want to like it, and it will EDC easier than my 0550.
Sonny

quote from OP jwaj above:
"My Sebenza hates my 2.0 My 2.0 has been my edc for a few months."

No offense to JwaJ or Lion Steel, but this seems a bit farfetched to me. I cannot imagine that my CRK Umnumzaan would ever be replaced by my Hest 2.0.
Sonny

Last edited:
I just got the 2.0 yesterday. The lock is extra-sticky. Not sure why this should be considered "standard" for a framelock. I also have a ZT 0550 which is smooth and perfect and unlocks easily and smoothly. The Hest is a bit lighter and not as wide, although the handle thickness of both folders is very similar. Am grateful that Stainz got some helpful hints in terms of smoothing this monster out a bit. I want to like it, and it will EDC easier than my 0550.
Sonny

The way I smoothed out the lock was marking the blade tang up with a Sharpie and flicking it often. Now my lock and action are both extremely smooth. :thumbup:

I've had my HEST 2.0 for a month now and it had a very stiff action it wasn’t comeing unlocked a few times but I now that its broken in its great I well try the Sharpie
Thanks for the tip, I was getting a little pissed at first with its locking up and needing to pry its locking bar over glad to see its just not my blade I think it looks great and its getting some carry time as

Back