Looking for a recommendation for a work knife

JDX

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new knife. I just want something tough that I can bring to work. Steel should be good but doesn't have to be anything exotic. And I'm not a fan of s110v or s90v.

So far I'm checking out the ZT 0562 g10, Spyderco manix 2 back lock, and the ZT 801 ti. Would like to stay away from axis locks but it's not a deal breaker.

Budget is $200.

I do landscaping for as my summer job during breaks from college. I'm constantly cutting through burlap, hard plastic (5 gallon buckets, weedwacker string, cellophane wrap, tape) various cordage, cardboard, paper bags and it's constantly getting grit and dirt on it and in it. So ease of maintenance would be great (which is why I'm staying away from axis locks and ball bearing locks, for me they're just really annoying to take apart and put back together). I sharpen my knives once a week so it doesn't have to have crazy edge retention which is why I'd like to stick to s30v, s35vn, elmax, m390. I mean if it's 20CV, or a cts like xhp or 204p that's fine. I just don't want 3v or even s110v. They're just not worth it for me.

I'm open to anything really. As long as the blade is around 3-3.5 inches. I don't like assisted knives, and I prefer FFG or hollow and convex grinds as long as they aren't super shallow.

I've owned both Gayle bradleys by spyderco and they just weren't for me. The 1 had a strong detent on the liner and the 2 just wasn't a tank and more of a gentlemans folder to me. I have a paramilitary 2 and a benchmade ti monolock but I'm trying to get rid of it. I like manix 2's and ZT 0562's in terms of ergos.

Last edited:
Spyderco gayle bradley 2 in m4! Great work knife.

ETA: it might be helpful to post what you do for work or at-least what type of cutting you plan on doing.

Spyderco gayle bradley 2 in m4! Great work knife.

ETA: it might be helpful to post what you do for work or at-least what type of cutting you plan on doing.
This is why you get paid the big bucks! lol I knew I forgot a bit of information.

I'll just update the post! I should also mention knives I've already owned and disliked for whatever reason. Thanks for the tip man!

What about a plain Manix? CBBL that is. Your choice of steel(there's one for every occasion). All of your original choices would make for a great work knife. It really depends on what you'll be doing with it, though.

This is why you get paid the big bucks! lol I knew I forgot a bit of information.

I'll just update the post! I should also mention knives I've already owned and disliked for whatever reason. Thanks for the tip man!

Another vote for the Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1 or 2 ij m4 steel. There are few knives that make a better work knife.

There are plenty of other good work knives like the manix2 or a Cold Steel with the triad lock but the Gayle Bradleys were built to be excellent work knives.

Cold Steel Recon 1 in XHP. I'd recommend the tanto version, as it's the only one that's hollow ground for the main edge but it's still got a strong and usable flat ground tip. Cold Steel's XHP heat treat is top notch, if you can still find it, otherwise they're now being offered in S35VN.

For a few dollars you can replace the synthetic washers with .625" OD x .25" ID x .010" phosphor bronze washers, which will feel nicer and more stable, and will last nearly indefinitely if you're constantly taking the knife apart to clean it (which I don't think you'll need to do with this knife anyway, but still). I do this to all of my cold steel knives and I highly recommend doing so.

You might want to try a smaller straight (non folder) blade.
When ever I know I will be in a "messy" situation, I always grab my one of 10 small (less then 4") blades for work.
There are many, many different non folders to choose from and easy to sharpen.

When I was landscaping, I carried a fixed blade. Most law enforcement will plainly see that it is a work tool, and it will be easily explained as such. (Ever hit a rope with a 48"+ mower?)

No pivot for grit, no small areas for rust to hide, no complications...

Spyderco LC200N Mule with scales and a kydex sheath.
Comfortable to use, High toughness with edge retention right around M4, and near impervious to corrosion.

Endura is the premier Spyderco for all around work, particularly dirty & tuff jobs. Light weight for those summer shorts. It can be found in flat grind for ~$80.

When I was landscaping, I carried a fixed blade. Most law enforcement will plainly see that it is a work tool, and it will be easily explained as such. (Ever hit a rope with a 48"+ mower?)

No pivot for grit, no small areas for rust to hide, no complications...

Spyderco LC200N Mule with scales and a kydex sheath.
Comfortable to use, High toughness with edge retention right around M4, and near impervious to corrosion.
Hahah we have a couple scag walk behinds that have gotten pretty tangled with ropes

Seems like a post these very often.... Cold Steel Ultimate, Spyderco Stretch, or Emerson Cqc8 horseman. If I was doing what you are doing I would definitely go with the ultimate hunter. I have never heard of switching out the bushings but that idea is... well extremely bad ass. You could get that and a recon 1 for $200 man. The Tri-ad may be the most low maintenance lock on the planet and is really easy to take apart and reassemble. Few other suggestions: Zt0630,Spyderco Opus, Spydiechef

The Manix 2 would do nicely. I use the LW in BD1 steel. It’s a great working folder. Many blade and scale materials to choose from. XL size available. For the tasks you described, I’m thinking one of the G10 versions.

Endura is what I would get. Actually I need another one. Gave my last one to my father in law to be his work knife.

I prefer ffg and that one was saber. Should work well for him. He is more of home remodeler but I would take it as a landscaping blade.

I also echo the suggestions of Cold Steel for your applications.

In fact, pick a XHP style CS knife you like, buy it then pick up a CS Voyager or Ontario RAT-1. Even if the latter were in the preferred D2, you would be under budget with a pair of very useful FFG knives - maybe even all three with careful shopping.

Back