Looking for EDC folder w/reinforced rear bolster for striking

I've been looking awhile now for an EDC folder, mid-to-robust ruggedness, with a strong or even reinforced rear bolster. Like a pommel, but not rounded, at least not in the traditional sense. This end would be for striking at attackers, the folded knife fully gripped in hand. If that doesn't ward off the attackers, the knife would come into play - at least in my fevered imagination. In terms of the folder itself, 3 to 4 inch blade, on the thicker side, good quality. I favor clip points, but not adverse to tanto or drop. Back to the rear bolster of the knife - I've looked at rescue knives with the backend glass breaker, but those are typically pointy projections. If I'm smacking an attacker with the backend of my knife, I don't want to injure them, just want to make them go away before I have to unleash the blade. Finally, the knife should be an all-around good EDC, as well. Ideas? Thx!

Cold Steel AD-10. 3 of the connection points for the knife are at the tail end.
82ik.jpg

82il.jpg

Cold Steel AD-10. 3 of the connection points for the knife are at the tail end.
82ik.jpg

82il.jpg
Thanks ScooterG. This suggestion got me looking all over the web. I liked the striking pommel from the picture above - turns out I like the entire knife quite a bit. It was more expensive than I was looking for (180 most places), but I found one for 150 on drop.com. They're sold out of this drop right now, but I just got in. Looks like an awesome, well made knife.

This probably should be in Prac-Tac.---KV
Thanks, KV. New to BF, didn't know that thread existed. Will look for it.

I had to search for it. Buried under "Activities, Training & Skills Development".

Last edited:
Benchmade Bailout has an extended metal pommel / lanyard jobbie that looks like it would fit the bill.

I think the Boker Mini Kwaiken makes a superb kubotan. Take a look at that one.

:) Seems like it's de rigueur for any thread involving folder SD for somebody to have to mention the superiority of fixed blades and guns .

Let's consider that done ! :rolleyes:

Benchmade Bailout seems fit the bill. That being said, I wouldn't try bringing a knife into play in a fight unless it was a lethal force situation. You may only intended to use the pommel, but you also run the risk of giving an attacker a knife if they were previously unarmed. Also, for defensive knife use fixed > folder...but that's an entirely different conversation.
691496eaa3b375509166ed7b4d8d77f5.jpg
46aec3b64cc89d810162a977d0a883c3.jpg

Benchmade Bailout seems fit the bill. That being said, I wouldn't try bringing a knife into play in a fight unless it was a lethal force situation. You may only intended to use the pommel, but you also run the risk of giving an attacker a knife if they were previously unarmed. Also, for defensive knife use fixed > folder...but that's an entirely different conversation.
691496eaa3b375509166ed7b4d8d77f5.jpg
46aec3b64cc89d810162a977d0a883c3.jpg
Ha ! Beat yas to it this time . I knew it was comin' . ;)

:) Seems like it's de rigueur for any thread involving folder SD for somebody to have to mention the superiority of fixed blades and guns .

Let's consider that done ! :rolleyes:
Lol apparently you beat me to it. It's just such a silly idea to think in a high stress situation someone is going to be able to access and deploy a folding knife to fend off an attacker. Things happen fast, the less moving parts the better. That being said, I've been carrying my Bailout on duty as a beater and have absolutely thumped on the thing. I have yet to to find a use for the pommel but I don't mind having it. The 3V is on the softer side but I don't mind that in a work knife that gets abused.

Last edited:
Sorry , but this really is more for the "Practical Tactical " subforum , but there are some potential problems in drawing a knife to use as a short stick /kubaton .

The knife might be seen as a lethal weapon being introduced into a fight , even if still folded . So unless that is justified , I'd probably NOT .

Might be worth it to train and carry something "less lethal " , also . Have more options rather than escalate hostilities .

Back