Looking for fixed blade recommendation

Murindo

Gold Member
I'm looking for a fixed blade knife with the following features:

• Recurve blade from 4 to 5 inches long
  • Prefer thinner blades that slice well but also want a point
  • Price point under $ 200 but might go higher for the right knife

If there was a fixed blade version of the Emerson Patriot or CQC-15 in this size it would come close to what I like. A fixed blade version of the Emerson Snake 10 would be perfect.

WAY under budget, so you may rather spend more, but take a look at the Buck 632 Mesa. I think it was a Wal-Mart exclusive for a while. Now I see it available elsewhere (for more than I paid at Walmart.) Five inch blade, Buck's 420HC. Hollow ground, so it cuts great, but may not be as tough as you need.

Thanks number9, that's close to what I want. A little more recurve and pointier would be closer.

be sure to check out the schf42 - by one of our forum members - more info tucked away on this thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/schrade-schf55-blackbird-and-some-little-known-facts.1602234/
you'll be hard pressed to find a better recurve for under $50

11807652_958518217504148_8730947367616051553_o.jpg

Last edited:
Bought the TRM. Nice blade, sharp, like the textured Micarta scales, but the grip is short even for my small hands. I will be selling it.

Check out the KaBar Jarosz Deluxe Hunter, it is a very nice blade. You’ll need kydex for it, the one downside is its leather sheath. It’s a bit tight and prone to getting cut unless you place and remove the knife very carefully. The blade is s35vn and 5.5 inches.

Third blade from the top...

6O6oswr.jpg

When I think smaller fixed with recurve, my mind immediately goes to the ZT 0121. It's been discontinued, but may be found possibly. What a great little knife. Feels amazing in my hand. Sweet little multi-purpose performer. If you could find one in the price range, I think all the other points of interest would be hit. When it's discontinuence was announced, price for new dropped to about $120. Wish I would have picked up a bunch. But did manage to keep the one I got at full retail (or MAP?).

If steel isn't a top priority, check out puma knives buffalo hunter. Real pointy and a nice curve in the blade. A few handle choices as well. Good luck

My good old fishing/hunting/camping buddy is my Spyderco Bill Moran. I have used it for many years since it was initially sold with great success. I like the blade shape and light weight.

I'm not a guy to haul around a big, heavy bowie knife all day in he field. Don't need it, don't like it. If I'm going to do some serious whacking, cutting, I'll grab my axe or chainsaw, or camping hatchet.

If I didn't already the Bill Moran I think I'd buy a Spyderco Gayle Bradley Junction. Unusual knife with a version of D2 steel and fit and finish that is hard to beat.

And if looking for affordable, the Phil Wilson designed Spyderco Bow River is a deal.

Last edited:
Create your own design, send a cardboard cut out of it to JK Knives from the forums, and ask him to make it for you.

Plenty of busse kin custom shop knives that have recurves. The vex cs with a recurve was like 4.5" and .16" thick, and very pointy, and good looking imo.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the looks of (and price) of the Schrade 42 but it's too thick for my tastes.

The Spyderco's are nice but not recurves.

I'm looking for a fixed blade knife with the following features:

• Recurve blade from 4 to 5 inches long
  • Prefer thinner blades that slice well but also want a point
  • Price point under $ 200 but might go higher for the right knife

If there was a fixed blade version of the Emerson Patriot or CQC-15 in this size it would come close to what I like. A fixed blade version of the Emerson Snake 10 would be perfect.
Kershaw Echo is an inexpensive disco'd knife that can be found on the bay and elsewhere - pointy 4" recurve blade.

But honestly, if you see a knife that you like which only lacks the recurve, it wouldn't be hard to grind that in or you could send it to some one like Josh @razor-edge-knives and he could give you something sick that would blow your mind...
Lots of custom makers here on BF could do the job. There are some offerings that might be similar to what you like and you could simply message a maker and request your own design: https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-fixed-blades.754/

Last edited:
Back