Looking to get a KA-BAR as a gift. General advice?

Hello all,

New user here. I made this account to see what people had to say about a few questions I have. I've got a mentor who's being commissioned into the Marine Corps as a 2nd LT in a few months. As a gift in return for all of the knowledge he's shared, as well as making me the better man I am today, I'd like to get him the best quality KA-BAR I can. You guys might think it's cheesy, and I understand that there are better knives out there, but he specifically mentioned he really wants a nice one, and I'd love to surprise him with it. My questions are:

What's the best KA-BAR I can get with up to $150?
Where do I go to get it? (Most of my searches have brought me to Amazon... I've got to imagine there are better sources out there...)
I've read chancy things about the sheaths most KA-BARs are shipped with, so what's the best sheath for the knife?

Please remember that he'll probably be using this knife to at least a minor degree in the field, so quality is of the utmost importance. I'm really looking to avoid anything flashy and immature-- I'm looking for a serious business, quality piece of steel.

Thank you for any and all feedback.

When I think Ka-Bar/Gift/Marines I think Ka-Bar 1217:
KA1217_LS1R.jpg

As for Quality, I let others speak to that.

Hello all,

New user here. I made this account to see what people had to say about a few questions I have. I've got a mentor who's being commissioned into the Marine Corps as a 2nd LT in a few months. As a gift in return for all of the knowledge he's shared, as well as making me the better man I am today, I'd like to get him the best quality KA-BAR I can. You guys might think it's cheesy, and I understand that there are better knives out there, but he specifically mentioned he really wants a nice one, and I'd love to surprise him with it. My questions are:

What's the best KA-BAR I can get with up to $150?
Where do I go to get it? (Most of my searches have brought me to Amazon... I've got to imagine there are better sources out there...)
I've read chancy things about the sheaths most KA-BARs are shipped with, so what's the best sheath for the knife?

Please remember that he'll probably be using this knife to at least a minor degree in the field, so quality is of the utmost importance. I'm really looking to avoid anything flashy and immature-- I'm looking for a serious business, quality piece of steel.

Thank you for any and all feedback.
Are you talking about an actual KA-BAR 1217, or this style of iconic fixed blade knife which had been issued starting in ww2 ?

Honestly I doubt you could go wrong with the classic iconic KA-BAR 1217, but they do make more modernized versions with composite handles and sheaths.
The modernized version may not be as classic and iconic but has the sheath most would consider way better.

As to where to get it, try knife center or blade hq which are supporting dealers here with known good customer service.

When I left my first duty station the folks I worked with got me a Ka-bar with my name and enlistment date engraved on it and mounted it on a plaque.
If you are anywhere near a military base, most px's have a shop that offer that package for around $100. The Ka-bar is awesome to have but not too practical for day to day stuff on base. Take the extra $50 and get him a Leatherman, he'll likely get a lot more use out of that.

As your friend is a leatherneck* he should of course be gifted a KaBar.

Its the quintessential Marine implement.

Here the KaBar range;
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--All-KaBar--432#

A standard knife will do, as that was what the fighting Marines used for a utility/combat knife in Big2.

However, I found the standard KaBar flimsy, when first I handled/got one.

Personally, Id go for the Dogshead;
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Ka-Bar-Dog-s-Head-Utility-Fixed--29789

Or seemingly even more sturdy, the Ekstreme Fighting/Utility Knife.
It sells for $130, so close to your max price limit;
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Ka-Bar-D2-Extreme-FightingUtility--55099

As he is going to be a Marine officer, you'll have to buy a box of crayons to be presented along with the knife.

Its a Marine thing/tradition.

*Slang for a US Marine. Derived from early days of the Corps when the upright collar of the uniform was made of leather to ward off sword strikes.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for such informative replies! I'll take a look at all of your links and suggestions.

Thanks again!

I can 2nd the recommendation on the KA-BAR Dog's Head fixed blade. I own one and have found it to be fantastic. It's just a BIG. BRUTE, no-nonesense bowie point fixed blade.

The handle and sheath are made of leather but conditioned properly, it should resist moisture no problem.

You may want to include a small can of leather conditioner, I have found Skidmore's Leather Cream works great.

Not ACTUALLY a ka-bar....kind of....Becker BK9! THE KING! Sorry for all the caps. The BK9 just gets me going. If he is going to use it, in humble opinion, you'd be hard pressed to find a better chunk of steel for the money.

keeping it a bit down (size wise from the BK9, awesome blade), and it being the modern, more robust version of the 1217, I'd say go with a BK7, and the spare money can be used for a nice kydex or leather sheath, plenty of makers here. Well under the buck fiddy stipulated.

keeping it a bit down (size wise from the BK9, awesome blade), and it being the modern, more robust version of the 1217, I'd say go with a BK7, and the spare money can be used for a nice kydex or leather sheath, plenty of makers here. Well under the buck fiddy stipulated.
Second the BK7. I love that blade. You probably can’t go wrong with the Becker lineup as long as you build a better (read: almost anything Kydex) sheath into your budget.

I also like my KABAR TDI Hinderer Hellfire. Very nice little blade with a locking sheath. Not much bigger than a regular folder but invaluable for self-defense and could be used as a regular knife in a pinch. Doesn’t come super sharp, but obviously can be sharpened.

I agree with jimmyd1982 and Bladescout.

Get him a Ka-Bar. If you think he'll actually take it out into the field, get him the classic Ka-Bar. If not, get him a presentation grade with his name engraved on it. Oooooorr, how about a USN Mk2 in great condition?

After someone broke into the truck and stole my dad's Mk2 he was without a knife to take with him when he went into the field. I bought him a brand new Ka-Bar 1217 but, being my dad, it was just way too nice for him to take out and beat up. Knowing that I later found another Mk2 in an Army/Navy store and gave it to him. He happily wrote his name on the sheath and taped it to his deuce gear.

On a day to day basis he'd almost assuredly get more use out of a Swiss Army Knife or a multi-tool.

As your friend is a leatherneck* he should of course be gifted a KaBar.

Its the quintessential Marine implement.

A standard knife will do, as that was what the fighting Marines used for a utility/combat knife in Big2.

As he is going to be a Marine officer, you'll have to buy a box of crayons to be presented along with the knife.

Its a Marine thing/tradition.

When I left my first duty station the folks I worked with got me a Ka-bar with my name and enlistment date engraved on it and mounted it on a plaque.
If you are anywhere near a military base, most px's have a shop that offer that package for around $100. The Ka-bar is awesome to have but not too practical for day to day stuff on base. Take the extra $50 and get him a Leatherman, he'll likely get a lot more use out of that.

I can't beleive nobody has suggested an EK kabar....the bowie or double edge would be ideal and a conversation starter amongst peers!

It's a Kabar better than the old 1271 kabar

I would suggest that you also look at the Spyderco Pacific Salt with a serrated edge. This knife cannot rust, period, as it is made from H1 steel. It is also very good at edge holding in its serrated form. It is $94 well spent at knifeworks.com or knifecenter.com. Knifeworks can engrave his name on the blade, too. Another option, if you want a fixed blade instead of a folder is the Aqua salt; same steel. You can get these in black with a black blade, or in yellow. I would suggest the black.

Spend the rest of the money, if you wish, on a Leatherman of some sort.

Back