Lost my beloved Mini Griptilian. Maybe time for a Sage?

Somehow my trusty Benchmade Mini Grip 556 disappeared after about a half dozen years of flawless duty in my small edc rotation (I keep a relatively small number of users these days and that's it). Disappointing, but an excuse for some knife shopping.

It was a great knife for my purposes, but I thought it would be nice to try something different. So far my contenders for a replacement are a Mini Ritter Grip, a BM Sequel 707, and the Spyderco Sage 1 or Sage 2.

I do like the BM Axis lock and Spydies have never appealed to me very much aesthetically, but I find myself drawn to the Sage. It just seems like a perfect example of function over form and simplicity. Higher grade steel as well.

I thought some of you who have both Sages and the BMs I mentioned might give me your $.02.

I don't own a Sage but I will tell you coming from the Benchmade side of thing that I really really enjoy the Spyderco's these days.

I have 2 Grips and 2 mini-Grips, the drop point and the Sheepsfoot version of each. The minis are a little too small for my liking but the the full-size Sheepsfoot (550HG) is great. I also have about 40 Spydies. The Sage 1 fits great in the hand but I don't EDC it much because of its weak detent. I have a smurf blue Sage 3 but they're discontinued. Caly 3 and 3.5 are great. I've got a bunch of smaller Spydies that are more comofortable and reassuring to use than the mini-Grips because my hand is locked into position by a choil- UKPKs, Cats, etc. I much prefer them to either mini-Grip. Part of the problem is I'm so used to a choil that I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally grab a mini-Grip by its blade.

The detents in my sage 1 and 2 are good. You would have to whip your wrist pretty hard to get the blade to come out.

Sage 2 because it's so simple and tough. You would pull a muscle or pass out before you hurt solid slabs of Ti sandwiching some perfectly heat treated s30v. The knife is so incredibly solid. My lock has moved from 35% to about 40% and stayed there for two years plus of rotation. The detent is strong enough that I really struggle to fling it open. Other knives you listed are good, I just wanted to give my opinion. I love the Sage 2!

Having both the Sage 1 and mini Ritter Grip, I like them both. Even though I m a steel fan, the Sage 1 may be the better all around knife. Excellent fit and finish, perfectly fine dentente, fine steel, very nice handles. I think the Ritter Grips are some of the best values Benchmade offers now. But the Spydercos are more interesting now in general.

Sage 1,2 and 3 always get mentioned with the small sebenza and mg. Having had all 3 I would go mg hands down. It's the best all arounder unless you want a slim carry in which the sebenza beats them all. The sage series feels great opened in hand not so much closed at least for me. I found the 1 to be the best out of the sage series. I'd also get a mini presidio ultra over a mg btw. Great handle!

Last edited:
Love my Sage 1. The Sage is easily my most flickable knife. It's just awesome. It cuts great, fits the hand extremely well and the CF is a great conversation starter.
And you can never go wrong with S30v

I have a Mini Grip and the 707. The 707 is a great knife. The only thing is that the handle is too small for my hand on both the Mini and the 707. Enter Spyderco...once you get one and use it you will never go back. Find one that fits your hand and you will love it forever. The Sage series is very good and you have a choice of locks.

Thanks for the input so far.

I have medium hands with slender fingers, and I rarely have a complaint about knife handles that others deem too small (certain Bark Rivers being the exception for me). The handle size of the Mini Grip was fine for an edc, although I disliked the handle thickness and FRN material. The others I mentioned in my original post have appeal due to slim handles and more attractive handle materials. I'm leaning towards the Sage 1 or the BM Sequel. (I'm going to end up with two knives, aren't I?....)

I don't own a Sage but I will tell you coming from the Benchmade side of thing that I really really enjoy the Spyderco's these days.

I agree. 6 months ago I had a dozen Benchmade I acquired over 10+ years and today I have 13 Spydies and no Benchmade at all. The value in Spyderco is hard to beat.

I have some small BM's and a Sage 2. I have owned Sage 1, 2, & 3 but only kept the Sage 2. I like the mini grip, but I have others that I like better, so it is hard to say which is better.

My personal preferences rate them like this, from highest on top, lowest on bottom. 3 small BM's and the Sage 1&2. This is irrelevant of price, but I am sure you can see a pattern here.

1. BM 586 mini barrage in m390
2. Sage 2
3. BM 707 = Sage 1 (I like these about equal, but I already had the sage 2, so the 1 got traded)
4. BM 556 mini grip

I have a Benchmade Sequel 707 incoming - got a good deal on it that I couldn't ignore. I'm sure it will be nice.

....however, I can't seem to forget about the Sage 1. I'm sure one of those is going to end up in my pocket too before long!

I have several Mini Grips and one regular Grip, but prefer any Sage model to the Grips. Unless its a Ritter Grip, the Sage will give you better all around materials than the Grip.

If you like the lock on the griptillian try the manix 2 in g10 with s30v steel. Its an upgrade in handle material and blade material to the grip and is cheaper. The ball bearing lock on the manix is stiffer than the grip's axis lock but I enjoy the manix 2.

If you like the lock on the griptillian try the manix 2 in g10 with s30v steel. Its an upgrade in handle material and blade material to the grip and is cheaper. The ball bearing lock on the manix is stiffer than the grip's axis lock but I enjoy the manix 2.

I have a high school student (I'm a teacher) who is into bushcraft and edc gear. He just got a Manix 2 and is thrilled to death. Obviously he's not bringing it into school. Too bad that's a no-no, because I'd enjoy checking it out.

^ too big. I like something small for edc - Mini Grip was the perfect size. Sage1 is marginally larger, but thinner.

Back