Lynn Griffith Forum Knife 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year's Forum Knives were Trackers and Hunters, dressed out with stabilized wood or stag, black spacers, and satin finish.
For 2001, Lynn is planning on unleashing his new model, which is a varient of the best-selling Parolman model. This one has a longer blade length, satin finish, and stabilized wood scales with spacers. For the first time Lynn is going to mark these blades designating them as a limited production run.
You can read more about it HERE
-Paul

------------------
Knives

[This message has been edited by ptpalpha (edited 10-26-2000).]

Sorry, guys…I edited this post to remove some content that was inappropriate for this forum.

Jim

[This message has been edited by UglyJim (edited 10-26-2000).]

Come on guys. Blatant advertising is Not Cool. If I wanted to read about Lynn Griffith's knives, I would go to the Lynn Griffith forum. You know the rules here. Take this back to Lynn's house, please
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Paracelsus (edited 10-26-2000).]

You're right, Paracelsus. It wasn't my intent to engage in blatant hucksterism, but after re-reading my post I can see how it might be taken that way. Like most other folks here, there are certain makers whose work I particularly admire and I guess I let my enthusiasm get the best of me. I consider Lynn Griffith to be a friend and I admire his work, but I realize that my comments were probably inappropriate for this forum. I was really just trying to inform others of what I considered to be a good opportunity, but I can see that I probably came across in an overly commercial manner. I'll edit my post to remove the objectionable content.

Jim

Although I think this is utterly ridiculous, I also edited a small part of my original post. I neither work for Lynn, nor receive any of the proceeds from his sales, so I hardly think my praise for his knives can be considered "blatant advertising". If I have to go to the Griffith Forum to read and write about Griffith knives I've misunderstood what the Custom Knife Forum here at BFC was all about. I thought it was here to discuss our favorite makers and their knives.
-Paul

------------------
Knives

Thanks guys. I really did not wish for you to edit your posts. I was just commenting on what I thought was an over-enthusiastic sales pitch. Sure, praising his work is OK. But selling knives in this forum is not. Simple really. If you decided your posts were a little over the top and edited them, great. But please don't complain to me about it. I'm not a moderator of this forum.

The now edited comment about ordering soon because these special knives would soon be gone seemed strange to me. In fact, the whole way Lynn does business seems a bit unusual. I mean that honestly, not as an insult to Lynn. He certainly is a very unique and talented person.

But I can't think of another maker who runs a forum like his and makes 'special edition' knives. And his forum is just plain weird guys. I always forget that there are other good knifemakers in the world when I go over to Lynn's forum just to see whats new. That's a really good thing, because there are too many knives by too many makers that I really really want and can not afford. So reading up on Lynn's knives at Lynn's forum always cools me off. I think it's just about the funniest web site I've ever seen. I am certainly glad that Lynn has improved his formerly perfect handles; it sounds like he may have improved on perfection, and that can be hard to do.
wink.gif

I like reading and seeing pics of knives. I enjoy reading reviews of knives. I guess my comment "If I wanted to read about Lynn Griffith's knives, I would go to the Lynn Griffith forum", was a little over the top as well. Sorry.

Comments about Lynn as a maker, or discussions about specific knives Lynn has made are fine by me. Sales pitches with a tone of urgency are not what this forum is supposed to be about. I know you both understand the difference or you wouldn't have edited your posts. Thank-you.

Paracelsus

[This message has been edited by Paracelsus (edited 10-26-2000).]

ptalfalfa,

one question that bothers me about lynn...if he has ppl waiting 2 years on an ordered knife then comes out with a "special" if you order NOW, BEFORE NOV 15!, wont the 2 year waiters get really pissed? i sure would if i had knives on order with him!
or is the 2 year wait another bit of lynn sales hype?

Hi Paul, I would post over there at Lynn's Forum, BUT I can't it tells me "You are banned."
frown.gif

What are the prices to those models again?

TIA

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

ATKI member #A001042

Does this one look like the one of a kind Blue handled Patrolman that I own, which was visited with so much on this forum a few months back? I better do some research. Haven't visited Lynn's forum in awhile. I'll go check and post again. Anything to help a new maker
biggrin.gif

I just have to know. Is the 8 hour satin finish included? I mean WOW. It must take some man to work up to a 400 grit finish in ONLY 8 HOURS. I wish all makers were as great and dedicated as you. I bow down humbly oh great satin finish master. I bend over and grab my ankles for you.

[This message has been edited by Jeremy Reynolds (edited 10-26-2000).]

Ugly JIm, does Lynn have a fan club??? Where would I go to sign up??? Does Lynn offer a secret decoder ring with every knife purchase ??

------------------
Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

[This message has been edited by L6STEEL (edited 10-27-2000).]

Is there a class for developing an ego as big as Lynns?

Arthur D. Washburn
ADW Custom Knives

Originally posted by ptpalpha:
Although I think this is utterly ridiculous...

What is utterly ridiculous is Lynn's pricing and lies. 8 hour satin finish? What, does he send your blade in a pile of dust in a zip lock baggy? A drop point hunter in beadblast in micarta scales, for his prices? I am form Oklahoma, so I know it's not in the water. 2 year wait? Yeah, it would take me 2 years if I set aside 1 whole day for that special satin finish. It takes him 3 days to fit his inflated head through the door in his new barn, errr shop. Maybe that's what takes so long...

Anyone is welcome to post new models here.
Personally I want to see them all.
Ptpalpha, the catch is try not to write stuff that sounds more like a commercial than a informational post. Thats the way the orginal posts hit me and it sounded utterly ridiculous when I read them last night.

------------------
" The real art of living is too keep alive the longing in human beings to become greater versions of themselves." Laurens Van der Post.
In memory of James Mattis

Hey Maddog,

I visited Lynn's forum and found your info. The knife is $400 without the forum discount, $320 with the forum discount. Funny how Geno Denning makes a far nice knife with pretty much the same dimensions for only HALF the price. And his wait is only 6/7 months. Sniffing too much glue is hazerdous to the health. Causes people to think their knives are worth 3X what they really are. Oh yeah, Mike... There must be a secret handshake for that fan club. But I'm sure Lynn would never shake with it, it would soil his precious hands to touch people as unworthy as you and I. If his hand got hurt, it would take 12 hours for the 400 grit finish, and raise the price another $100.

The knife is $400 without the forum discount, $320 with the forum discount.

That's a joke, right...?

If not, OUCH! The remedy would be a Denning (can't wait to get mine), a Running Dog, a Bruce Evans, a Jerry Hossom, a Chuck Hallberg, a Mike Irie, a Raker, a Chevar, or A Meerdink, a Polkowski, a Lightfoot... all of which I have and costed me less than the above quoted prices for that size knife... Shoo, depending on who you choose, you can even get two for the above quoted price.

sing

AKTI #A000356

Originally posted by sing:
That's a joke, right...?

Well sing, No and Yes... No, it's not a joke in the fact Lynn is charging that much for the knife. Yes, his prices in general ARE a joke. But I don't know what's funnier, the fact he charges those prices, or the fact there are people (groupies even!) that will pay those prices. Sprinkle it with fairy dust and make it fly around the room, and you got a deal. But $400 for a basic drop point hunter with wood scales? He needs to pass the drugs around, that must be some good stuff he got ahold of.

Wow, what a deal. Can you get the funky serrations that L. G. puts on his blades for that price too?

Wow. $400 for a limited edition knife????? I can get the same dimensioned knife with mirror finish, etc, for lots less, even with forum discount. I have started making knives and can appreciate the time that goes into a knife, but $400????? Thats ridiculus. Even with limited edition, maybe $300 base price, $250 forum price might be better, but that blade better look like a mirror! And some nice snakewood handle material, stablilzed, of course!
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back