• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Mad Dog SAXON Sword

SAXON sword. the big prize from this maker. glowing temper line, great feeling two hand grip. amazing piece. new. $3000

intrested in any trades................................ i have two kids and a wife

Or almost my whole knife collection
Would love it if i had the coin

DRF - let me know if you want a couple pics of the Saxon's leavings upon meeting a goat carcass - you could post them here and folks can see what these things are really good for - email at ParkerWentzel@yahoo.com

Cactus, mail with smelly pics sent - I don't host photos - anyone here wanna do the honors?

I saw them. cool stuff, really if i had that much credit on my cards i would buy it but i don't even have that much credit
(IXOYE)

because of the price of this piece, partial trades will be accepted.

Who made this sword? I've never heard of "Mad Dog". Could you post some detailed photos and specs?

Emanuel

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
Mad Dog, as in the knifemaker Kevin McClung. Great guy, great knifemaker, he has an intimate scientific undestanding of the materials he works with(he used to be a scientist-among other things).

I've seen the Saxon pics before. Awesome would be quite an understatement. Top of the line in every way.
==============

Hey Parker, nice to see you mate!(yeah, it's me, 1518)

Kevin McClung prefers to spend his cybertime at his own site, www.tacticalforums.com and does not have a retail site - he has several excellent dealers who present him with the cyberpresence he may need in terms of sales.

The Sax is a VERY limited pice - I count myself as extremely fortunate to own this piece and moreso to lack any sort of common sense so that I can chop the bejesus out of what I may desire with it - a $3000 sword is nowhere near the dangerous and fragile toy the swords you can find on cable access late in the evening.

I think he builds one or two of these per year, if that many - I do not think many of them get used as the price starts to rarify the idiocy of the buyer - again, I am blessed with a lack of fiscal responsibility or I would never have used it, despite its being made for mayhem.

What can you do with a mayhem-ready $3K sword? Pretty much anything you want - I prefer to do absolutely nothing, as when I am pointing it at you I can convince you to do it for me ;)

dimebag

Banned
Production...WTF? It's already been stated more than once that this is a custom blade. You must have access to better weed than I do. :p

Bithabus, if you look around at the great majority of the so-called custom knives for sale here, they have CNC ground blades, are built out of a catalog o available patterns, etc and are NOT customs in any sense that they were made for one guy with one set of specs never to be recreated - Alex Collins comes to mind in terms of rarely if ever recreating a piece. Bill Moran builds his blades to order and goes by a general pattern, then the magiv begins.

Mad Dogs are built entirely by hand. This is hard for some folks to understand, that the cost of a knife, unless as you ask, it is built as an art piece, the cost is not about the materials.

If the cost of a using knife is based more on the materials used than the time spent making the knife, then really you are buying the equivalent of a snap-together model kit with the maker adding little in the way of value - let's face it, the so-called wundersteel SV30, how much is a piece of it really in comparison to the cost of the knife - pretty much what, about 10%? 5%? And in the end, are you really happy if you bought nothing but an expensive piece of steel with no soul, the lines of a cardboard box and the feel of a Stanley Wonderbar? The maker, the build, the design and interpretation, this is what you pay for with any custom, semi-custom, or high-end production knife.

Castings are never meant for use - nor are inlays, pearls, gems, etc. This is a blade meant for use. So how's it get $3000 pretty regularly?

With this you pay for craftsmanship, performance, the edge being ground out by hand. Hell, the entire knife being ground out by hand. By hand. The handle being ground out by hand. The goat thing. The balance, the weightless mass, the real control at full speed. This is no mediaval reproduction, this is designed for used, built for use and has been proven in use.

In a sense, what would you pay for a Fisk Bowie, or a real-deal katana? A Larry Fuegen? Lile Button Lock?

I guess you get it or not. Maybe you will someday, but I doubt today.

if any of the moderators are watching this go on, you know what to do. this type of open discussion about the value of someones piece in this forum is in bad form to say the least. bithabus, i dont know your real name, but if you have something you want to get off your chest, contact me.

is this the sword?

sword.jpg