Makers worth looking at.

Been hanging out here at times and am learning a ton. Also spending too much $ on knives compared to what I was doing before I joined. I hold each and every one of you personally responsible. Damned enablers. :cool:

So a couple of obvious points, and then a question. Seems to me the bulk of the residents here are into folding and/or EDC - works for me; and that tastes generally seem to run towards the tech styles - I tend more toward the gentleman styles. Anyway this strikes me as a good group to ask their opinions on folding knives and who makes great ones.

I think I am pretty "up" on who the main players making folders. Certainly most everybody here is familiar with the big boys (in $ or fame) like ZT, CRK, Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, CRKT, CS, SAK, Buck, SOG, Boker, etc. and thanks to the group, now I am too. What I would love to know is the names of the smaller, little known producers who make great stuff and expand my knife horizons, as it were. Anyone willing to dazzle the newbie as it were?

The few that I know and have on my wish list include:
WE
William & Henry
Lone Wolf
Shirogorov
Al Mar

Most are out of those are currently out of, to WAY out of my current tax bracket, but knowledge is invaluable and who knows what I might happen across in the future.

Check out the Giant Mouse GM3 or the Southern Grind Spider Monkey. Either can be considered functional gentleman's knives.
I'll also suggest a nice traditional - I prefer bone or wood handles in this category. Keeping with the gentleman's knife idea, something like a GEC 15, 77, or 92 (feel free to explore the various brands and models... it's a whole other world into which one can delve. I prefer single blades, but have a nice half congress for special occasions).
QYnBf4T.jpg

Last edited:
Lionsteel makes some great smaller blades
Mcusta
Les George, although not necessarily what I'd consider "Gentleman's" folders

I see you are primarily looking at production knives. You might want to add Moki to your consideration list. I personally think they are well-made and a great value. I have the small Kronos and it is a wonderful knife (in the gentleman's class, with a 2.75" blade):

TATb3Ni.jpg

I bought my daughter the smaller (2" blade) Leaf (in mother of pearl ... but an ironwood version is also available):

hIi2kTX.jpg

Fit and finish on both knives are first rate.

Those Moki's are beautiful! Really like the one with the swedge, that might get me into traditionals!
But i second Mcusta and EnZo knives. They don't get talked about a whole lot and are excellent for the money imo.

Try out the Southern Grind Spider Monkey. I enjoyed it... It's made of good stuff by good folk.

Moki is a great choice as well.

Out of Production stuff is well worth pursuing. Find a deal on a BM 710 or 707 or even 970 and you're golden.

Quest Custom Knives makes a high quality gentleman Kwaiken and Micro Kwaiken.

The Kizer Feist:
I just read on IG that Justin Lundquist's Feist gave the ok on the new production that fixed big problems on the first run.

Last edited:
Check the new 2nd edition Kizer Feist for an amazing little gentleman's knife. Still big enough to do most any EDC task. It is a front flipper which is an awesome opening method you may not be familliar with. Check out the Boker Exskelibur1 for a larger but very gentlemanly and light front flipper. For expensive examples look at Gareth Bull or Bester knives.

I have had very good luck with Mcustas little gentleman knives that are all metal with say a damascus handle and blade. First off my Mcustas were the sharpest knives I have ever recieved out of the box. They are literally irresponsibly sharp

Check out the custom makers for sale area here, you can find some awesome knives. I picked up a knife from Bailey knives and its super nice.

I see you are primarily looking at production knives. You might want to add Moki to your consideration list. I personally think they are well-made and a great value. I have the small Kronos and it is a wonderful knife (in the gentleman's class, with a 2.75" blade):

TATb3Ni.jpg

I bought my daughter the smaller (2" blade) Leaf (in mother of pearl ... but an ironwood version is also available):

hIi2kTX.jpg

Fit and finish on both knives are first rate.
I completely agree. I have a Moki but not a folder. It is their Bird and Trout Knife. One of my faves! A couple of their folders are on my wish list.

41sD%2BuoYO1L._SY355_.jpg

Those Moki's are beautiful! Really like the one with the swedge, that might get me into traditionals!
But i second Mcusta and EnZo knives. They don't get talked about a whole lot and are excellent for the money imo.
I just got my 1st EnZo. The Necker 70. I was very impressed given the price.

Quest Custom Knives makes a high quality gentleman Kwaiken and Micro Kwaiken.

The Kizer Feist:
I just read on IG that Justin Lundquist's Feist gave the ok on the new production that fixed big problems on the first run.
That Kwaiken Spearpoint is a winner!

Check the new 2nd edition Kizer Feist for an amazing little gentleman's knife. Still big enough to do most any EDC task. It is a front flipper which is an awesome opening method you may not be familliar with. Check out the Boker Exskelibur1 for a larger but very gentlemanly and light front flipper. For expensive examples look at Gareth Bull or Bester knives.

I have had very good luck with Mcustas little gentleman knives that are all metal with say a damascus handle and blade. First off my Mcustas were the sharpest knives I have ever recieved out of the box. They are literally irresponsibly sharp
Good suggestions! I have a number of Bokers. Love them!

Walter Wells does custom knives in CPM-154 for around $200 depending on options. He did mine for $225 and I designed it all myself aside from minor details. Great communication along the way, and I got a knife I really love.

Back