Making my new BK11 my own.

This is my 3rd Becker, and since I haven't tried any customization on mt BK2, and BK14 yet, I purchased this Necker with the intentions to modify.
I'm not going to do anything fancy with it, just strip the finish, jimping on the spine, some scales, and kydex sheath.

First we have a plain, old, brand new BK11 "Necker".

I put some gel type paint stripper on it, and a little over 30 minutes I had this.

Then I added some jimping on the spine of the blade and started on some wood scales.
I didn't have much for scrap wood in my garage, but I found an old cutting board which I originally thought was white oak but it turned out to be some other type of wood.
The jimping came out a little uneven, but what's done is done.

I had a can of minwax stain that was pretty dark, and this is what I ended up with.

I also made some plastic spacers to fit in cutouts in the handle.

Right now the stain is still drying so I'll have to takes some pictures of the final results tomorrow.

I was originally going to cold blue the blade, or do some kind of fancy forced patina, but I'm probably just going to let it get a good, old fashioned, natural patina from use.
I already have a little patina from a few apples that I chopped up with it.

so far so good! I'm a big fan of the DIY projects and I'm impressed by your craftsmanship.

I've always wanted to take a crack at my own wood scales.

man those are awesome. may i ask what the compound you used to remove the finish??? i really like how it took it off so easily..

definitely will be. So you just hacked up an old cutting board? it sure does look nice, i may have to dig through my cupboards now for inspiration :D

man those are awesome. may i ask what the compound you used to remove the finish??? i really like how it took it off so easily..

I used this stuff.

Sorry about the lousy cell pic.
I forgot where I bought it, but they should have it at any hardware store.

definitely will be. So you just hacked up an old cutting board? it sure does look nice, i may have to dig through my cupboards now for inspiration :D

Now you just need to get a BK9. Oh wait, we weren't talking about that. Force of habit. Check out the thrift stores if you want to keep the wife from paddling your backside with what's left of the cutting board. And get a BK9. you can't not have a 9. :D :D :D

Now you just need to get a BK9. Oh wait, we weren't talking about that. Force of habit. Check out the thrift stores if you want to keep the wife from paddling your backside with what's left of the cutting board. And get a BK9. you can't not have a 9. :D :D :D

:D I can't not have a bk 9!

good thing i already gots a 9 ;)

it was my gate-way becker :D

:D I can't not have a bk 9!

good thing i already gots a 9 ;)

it was my gate-way becker :D

A BK9 is on the list of knives to buy, right after a 10.
After that maybe a tweener, or a 5.

burns-excellent.gif

Nice looking scales, you did a good job on them! I think they look like oak as well. Be sure to post those pictures when when you put the scales on it.

Nice! Looks good, I like the 11 and 14 - small but really a great size for all-purpose everyday use. The 14 gets the most use lately and is my EDC.

Well, I didn't get to finishing the scales as quickly as I wanted. I came down with a stomach bug that had me in bed for 2 days.
But I finally got out and bought the hardware and finished my knife (well sort of)

I put some threaded aluminum inserts in the plastic spacers.

I had to countersink the holes on the scales and touch up the stain.
I also rubbed some boiled linseed oil on.

Of course the lighting was much better for pictures outside, so I assembled the knife on my porch.
And in the back of my mind I thought I'd probably drop a screw under my deck since I didn't buy any spares.

Then the inevitable happened.
One of the screws bounced off the table, then took several bounces on the deck and fell between a crack.
I spent the next 30 minutes under my deck searching while my dog sat beside me watching curiously.:confused:

Needless to say the screw was lost forever amongst the rocks, dirt, and a few thousand .22 shells from my backyard plinking.:(

So, I need to go back to Ace hardware for one 22 cent screw, but this time I'll buy a spare or two.
I also might just cold blue the blade after all.
Then it's onto the sheath making.

Scales look great. I like your insert liner idea. I thought of that after spending several hours grinding down the scales for my 24.
Keep up the great work, and don't forget to keep posting pics!

Last edited:
Back