1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

MCLEAN BLACK &CO cleaver question

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by akguy59, Sep 22, 2018.

1. akguy59

akguy59

Aug 19, 2017
    Hi folks, I wanted to see if I could get some information on an old cleaver that I have. I'm not concerned with collectability because I bought it at a yard sale for 6 bucks. What I'm curious about is if it is an older and good user. The condition of it is okay, it has a pretty nice patina but it needs a good sharpening. The handle is loose and I have played with the idea of just replacing it as it is pretty plain. Unless I find out otherwise I think this will be a project and a user. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    There is one on E-bay, said to be some 'high carbon steel'.
    I'd do something about that handle, but there is no point in removing the patina for a user. Get rid of rust though.
    Other than that and sharpening, there doesn't seem much to do. You'll find out your answers real fast.