1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Medford Production praetorian?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by GutWrench, May 29, 2019.

1. GutWrench

GutWrench

Nov 4, 2005
    Hey guys. I’m thinking about getting a Medford Praetorian. Anyone here EDC one? Is it practical for everyday use?

I currently carry a UTX85 and Para 2. Which covers pretty much everything I encounter trough out the day. But the Medford is calling my name big time.

Can you guys think of anything I would lose or gain if I replaced the Para 2 in my pocket with the Medford?

Thanks,

2. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I don't own one so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    There is something appealing about the knife and I've considered buying, one several times.

But after watching some video reviews, the knife starts out looking cool and then morphs into ridiculousness.
    Then when factoring in the materials and asking price, I walk away.

Right now the knives I'm considering instead of the Medford are the Cold Steel AD10 or 4 Max.
    Or the Dendra Tiger Jump ( made by Lionsteel)
    IMO all better values...

SeppukuSamurai, clearytja and DocJD like this.
  3. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    You’ll gain about 10 pounds.

You’ll lose a very good tool meant for cutting (PM2).

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    AntDog, ErocSD, slyraven and 3 others like this.
  4. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Cold Steel 4Max would be a much stronger and more functional knife , while still being impressively overbuilt . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SeppukuSamurai and vwb563 like this.
  5. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    The new pratorean swift looks cool and like a good size, it’s smaller and auto but looks very similar. Check it out

6. WillB

WillB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Is it just me, or does a heavy "over built" folder sorta kill the actual benefits of a folder? I can get a similar sized fixed blade that will weigh less, be tougher, easily be 50% less $, and easy to conceal. The supposed benefits of the folder are a savings in size and weight. If you don't actually get that from the folder, why bother?

ScooterG and Dallas T like this.
  7. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    I tend not to carry anything much over 4oz just pulls on the pocket

WillB likes this.
  8. vwb563

vwb563 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I would love to try a Medford but they are priced too high imho. I mean I can buy a decent AR15 for what one cost new.

ErocSD likes this.
  9. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    You'd lose a bunch of money and cutting ability to gain needless weight.

marrenmiller likes this.
  10. sliceofaloha

sliceofaloha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Dude if it’s calling get one. Maybe you can pick up a used one on the exchange? It’s awesome to get one that you like so much. You may find, as I have, that some that call are fun for a spell and then they move along. You get some dinero back in that case.

11. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Hard to put a fixed of much length in your pocket . Weighty isn't the problem , except for the sensitive .

marrenmiller likes this.
  12. GutWrench

GutWrench

Nov 4, 2005
    Thanks for the replies fellas. I understand what you are saying about weight, that might get old after a while. But the build is sexy asf in my opinion.

No one here having ever EDC’d one is telling tho. Guess it’s just not real practical and I can see that.

I think I will end up trying it tho. Maybe I can snatch one up used.

Thanks again.

13. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    That's really not true. 3.5" blade, light, thin comfortable ergonomic handle, drops right in the front pocket. Not only that, but can be clipped in a pocket like a folder (depending the pocket) and not seen, or IWB, making it invisible and very fast to deploy. 3 carry options vs one for the folder, lighter, and stronger and way less $. There's a ton of great EDC fixed blades out there, and some may not realize the many choices that exist. A heavy overbuilt folder is more cons than pros in my view other than cool factor. If cool factor is what makes people happy, all good by me. I'm a pragmatist by nature, and tend to break things down that way. I will say those who have find the right EDC fixed blade for them, rarely go back to folders... Your mileage may vary.

Attached Files:

• EDC.jpg
      EDC.jpg
      File size:
      93.9 KB
      Views:
    Filthyj24 likes this.
  14. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Except it's hard to sit down or move your legs with a fixed blade in your pocket. I can't even put a Benchmade SOCP in my front pocket without being unable to sit like a normal human being at work.

I agree with Doc. Weight is nearly irrelevant for my EDC carry purposes, but length in pocket does matter.

15. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    Then you go IWB. Issue solved. Personally, no issues sitting etc with knife in the pic. It's very thin. Folder on the other hand due to width, is another matter. A folder clipped in pocket I don't find weight an issue, dropped into a pocket, very much so and it gets old fast. I can't speak to Benchmade SOCP as I have no experience with them.

16. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    My weight limit is around 5 to 5.5 oz but I agree it just gives that feeling of something hanging on your pockets or something. This is just for pocketed knives clipped or dropped but if the knife is carried pretty much any other way then it doesn't matter. Only other time I care is for anything that is attached to my key chain as I hate having lots of things dangling while my keys are in the ignition plus I have a carabiner style key chain I clip to me so weight is similarly an issue.

The overall size is a factor but as long as it doesn't have too much sticking out and isn't deeper than the pocket I don't find the overall size to be as much an issue for me as weight. The two do somewhat go hand in hand more size is more mass and more mass is more weight granted different materials have different densities and thus weights but a 3.5" closed knife compared to a 4.5" closed knife of the same material you know which one is more likely to be heavier.

17. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    For fixed blade pocket carry, I use one of these. You can go up to a 3.5" blade.

I carry a Ka-bar D'Eskabar with handle scales ( the one that looks like an izula)
    Search for "sharpshooter sheath" , you can carry a folder the size of a Buck 110 in it too.

sheath.jpg

slyraven likes this.
  18. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    All knives even folders have pros and cons and form vs function. Yes, they DO lose the weight and slim factor that folders usually have, but they gain way more cool points..and that's what knives are truly about..cool points.....

19. GutWrench

GutWrench

Nov 4, 2005
    When I am not at work I appendix carry and glock 19 on the right side and my Microtech on the left side.

I have no desire to carry a fixed blade in normal everyday life. On the trail or whatever else. I will carry fixed.

20. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I had a Praetorian T in D2. Carried it a couple times. For me it was a pocket brick that didn't cut really well and took up way too much space. I sold it.