Messenger bags

I am considering a new messenger bag. I really like this style of bag because I bicycle commute to work everyday, and it serves as my man purse as much as I hate to admit it. I currently have a hand made, custom Timbuk2 in size large that serves me well, but am looking for other options. If you have one, what is your favorite? I have a budget of about $400 for a custom bag, so let's hear your opinions.

-Xander

I've got a crumpler that's a really nice bag on the bike with a good adjustable/removable strap pad and 'third leg' strap that keeps the bag from shifting around while you ride. Great construction and materials, lifetime warranty and reasonably priced.

With that kind of scratch to spend on a messenger bag, I'd start my search right here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/856-SaddleBack-Leather-Company

This company makes some fine-looking and decidedly high-grade bags of all kinds, mostly out of single, seamless panels of premium leather. Nothing like a well-worn, well-cared-for and conditioned piece of leather baggage. I've been strongly considering their rolled duffel for a good while now.

Thanx for the links guys. Anyone have any experiance with Chicago Wig bags? I've been checking them out, too. Most reviews I read sound like they're from the hipster crowd, not a dedicated bike commuter/messenger.

-Xander

I have a Saddleback briefcase. It weighs seven pounds empty: nothing you'd ever want to carry on your shoulder for more than a few minutes. (Believe me, I persevered for a long time… it's just not worth the weight to get something that pretty. Fully loaded I had it around 35lb once. It did just fine, but my body did not!)

Chrome… sure. Same as Timbuk2. Not really in the top echelons. At that price point, look at Mixed Works, Bailey, and other well-made courier bag companies.

Mission Workshop is likely to satisfy, but for those kinds of fasteners and materials, I'd prefer Tom Bihn, to be honest. (My travel carry-on is TB, and it's excellent.)

In the $400 range you should be looking at Bedouin, Defy, Killspencer, or — apparently; I've never seen one — Black Rainbow.

I have been looking seriously at th Bedouin, but its a left shoulder bag which I cannot utilise. I have scoliosis and it hurts me to cary much weight left shoulder. The Bedouin is my top choice for style and construction, but unless they come out with an "American" version for right shoulder carry I'm going to have to pass on what seems to be the perfect bag.

My riding buddy has a Chrome bag, and its basically like my Timbuk2, not bad for $150 and less. I look at them as <5 year bags.

I'm not familiar with some of the brands mentioned, but I will deffinetly check them out.

-Xander

I have been looking seriously at th Bedouin, but its a left shoulder bag which I cannot utilise. I have scoliosis and it hurts me to cary much weight left shoulder. The Bedouin is my top choice for style and construction, but unless they come out with an "American" version for right shoulder carry I'm going to have to pass on what seems to be the perfect bag.

You should email them. The founder wrote:

Hi Tony, Yes, we are looking at doing reverse side for the US, it&#8217;s pretty simple to do, but individual orders would take 2 months.

I have a Missionworkshop Rummy. Fantastic bag, total waterproof even in a downpour. I use it for a grocery bags as well.

I carry a Maxpedition Mongo everyday. It's messengerish as you can fit folders and stuff in the main compartment. But it's crazy versatile. I get a wild hair every once in a while and get some new bag or pack to EDC and I ALWAYS come back to my Mongo. Best bag I've ever owned. The only thing I don't like about it is the cell phone pouch permanently attached to it. I wished it just had a molle grid so I could choose what goes there. I up graded the large plastic buckles with aluminum ones and replaced the shoulder strap with seat belt style webbing as it's softer and more comfortable. Best bag ever though.

I use an Aerostich Courier Bag every single day, and have for the past eight years or so. It barely shows any wear. It is a very basic, simple design, but extremely robust (it is intended as motorcycle gear). Mine was about 80 bucks. They are made by a small company in Duluth, MN. I also have a riding jacket and pants from them. Excellent gear.

I use an Aerostich Courier Bag every single day, and have for the past eight years or so. It barely shows any wear. It is a very basic, simple design, but extremely robust (it is intended as motorcycle gear). Mine was about 80 bucks. They are made by a small company in Duluth, MN. I also have a riding jacket and pants from them. Excellent gear.

+1 on Aerostich - http://www.aerostich.com/bags/shoulder-bags-backpacks-and-hip-packs/courier-bags - utilitarian, very tough, does not have waterproof closure

also

Tom Bihn - http://www.tombihn.com/CTGY/messenger_bags.html - top quality, excellent product as are all their bags

Check out the Maxpedition monsoon, it's not a messenger bag but more of a sling bag. I have one and ride a motorcycle almost everywhere, it fits my mac book and what not, camel back capable, plus it has a sweet concealed carry pocket against the small of the back. I abuse the hell outta mine and I have no complaints about it.

Back