militec users

I just got my free sample of militec, an I have question........what do you guys use on your knives? the grease or the oil?

Oil, I gave my grease to a friend.

I have heard of people using the grease or both (going; oil-heat-wipe-grease) I think the grease would be a bit difficult to applicate though.

compressed air to blow out lint, then a small amount of oil.

good stuff.

I'm curious, what do you all think of the Militec products? :confused:

Are they all they say they are? I'm very much looking forward to you all's thoughts/experiences with this. :)

I Highly Recomend the oil. I use it on all my knives and have found it to provide better lubrication than anything else, and It lasts a long time

I just use it on my EDCs, and use Corrosion X (gun oil) on my LM, and other things that aren't used as often.

Good stuff. Lubes well, doesn't attract as much lint, after the oil is gone it still feels lubie. Lasts long. It's hard to find though, but even that sample will last you a long time, since you'll only use one or two drops at a time.

The guy in charge of the knife department at the most well-stocked sporting goods store in this area uses it to wipe down his high-end knives and his swords. Guys at this store are not department store types. They know what they are doing. They stock Chris Reeve, Microtech, William Henry, that kind of stuff. He recommended Militec highly to me, and that's good enough for me.

Militec is great stuff....however, I am cautious not to use it on a blade that I might use for food. I like mineral oil if I might be cutting food.
I agree it is superb for pivots, backsprings, etc. Especially if you heat the area where it will be applied (like with a hairdryer). The grease seems to be more suited for long term storage or wheels and such.
JMO.

Bill

Oil

militec2S.JPG

Click HERE for my instructions.

Great lube, but it's really weak as a corrosion inhibitor. The oil is definately prefered for knife and weapons applications. Militec stocks the grease for high load bearing applications to prevent runoff, not an issue with folding knives. For this type of lubrication I also prefer MPC FP-10, similar lubrication properties to militec, but some knives that militec was less than effective on FP10 works great. I've been meaning to do corrosion tests with it as well, as it's supposed to be better than breakfree CLP at protecting steel (in my tests breakfree far outpaced militec's seemingly nonexistant corrosion resistance)

Very compelling testimonys! Thanks guys!

I've requested a free sample of the oil and the grease from Militec.

I see they also have a car engine treatment that may very well be worth looking into.

Gollnick, you have a great set of instructions there. I really appreciate you including them in this thread. The hair dryer idea is a stroke of genius. :D

i started using militec years ago after reading gollnicks site. lets put it this way, if gollnick used kool-aide thats what i'd be using ;)

I like the stuff from my experience with it.

Can someone suggest a cleaner that would be safe on folding knives that may have nylon or other types of plastic washers? After reading Gollnick's directions I want to try and re-lub my 710 which is already very fluid. :)

WadeF said:
I like the stuff from my experience with it.

Can someone suggest a cleaner that would be safe on folding knives that may have nylon or other types of plastic washers? After reading Gollnick's directions I want to try and re-lub my 710 which is already very fluid. :)

I use Sentry Solutions Tuff-Glide(on the pivot)/(Tuff-cloth to wipe blade down) on my 710, keeps it clean and lightening fast. But be warned bc it cleans so well the first time u apply it to the action there will be black stuff oozing out of the joint and the knife will get stiffer at first, this is just from the freed dirt working itself out of the action, first time I tried it I was afraid I'd ruined my knife. Flush the pivot out a second or third time (however many times it takes for the black gunk to wash away) and then your knife will be smoother than ever, btw the only encounter I've had with black grime was the first application I've not seen any since. I'm pretty sure the 710 uses PB washers, but I use Tuff-Glide on all my knives and it works great. I'm scared of Militec, I've read a lot of negative posts about its use in firearms, claiming that is provides practically no protection whatsoever. I don't even use Sentry products on my guns, I prefer a product that stays a little wet, but they're all I use on my knives with great results. If you don't like Tuff-Glide (for some reason) I'd use G96 Gun Treatment instead it's like 10 bucks for a 12oz can: cleans, lubes, and protects. Keeps my M1911 and other guns jam free. It too is GREAT stuff it's the only thing I use on my guns anymore, it's similar to Breakfree CLP, but I like it better. Also there's nothing wrong with regular gun oil or mineral oil either but for a knife Tuff-Glide (bc it is a dry lubricant) is prob the best bet.

i use both the militec and tuffglide, both work great, i like the tuffglide a little better just because of the bottle, the long needle syringe makes it easier to apply.

militec is superior for firearms imho. but i have used tuffglide for lubrication and it works ok too. i gen'ly use remoil for corrosion protection myself, it also works well on knives, the small clear bottle w/the yellow top/applicator. cheap too at walmart, $2 or so.

allow me a couple truly newbie question: how do you use your remoil on your blade? do you simply wipe it with remoil impregnated cloth? Should I leave a layer of remoil on the blade or should I wipe it clean after?

Lastly, and I ask this because I am new to the USA, is any Walmart purchased Remington Oil adequate, or did you have a specific variant in mind? (BTW - the blades steels I need to protect against corrosion are 1095 and S30V)

Back